Hoarders, BCN-Style!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoarders, BCN-Style!!

...an e-cookie to the first to figure out how many computers are shown in this picture...

...and this is only about half of them... It's spring cleaning time (ok, a little late)...and I had to get them all off the floor from under the bench. It didn't look like so many until now...
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Hoarders, BCN-Style!!

That looks like my garage, except much cleaner and no wall of VHS videos!

Comment

I counted 24, since I remembered that black box under the table was an server.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

I got 27

Comment

You both were very close, but missed. That black thing under the bench isn't a computer....its a beat up old filing cabinet. The big black server isn't pictured.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Awesome!
            I always wondered if I should create a thread here for this or not. Seems like I'm not the only one collecting old computer hardware.

By the way, TC, I'm counting 25 up there.
            Are there more? Less?

I'll post my collection of stuff in just a few minutes too.

By the way... x2... your workshop still seems very organized. And the floors look clean too. Wish I had the dedication and energy to move my stuff and clean up like that. I only vacuum the floors in my room to where the stuff goes. And dusting is obviously very time-consuming, as I have to move lots of stuff (i.e. the CRT monitors on my desk, when I want to dust the top). On the other hand, considering how much stuff I have, I don't think my room is all that bad. I've seen people with way less stuff and way messier rooms. And I hate me a dirty carpet, so I vacuum it fairly often (once every two weeks or so). No food in my room either (only water).
            Last edited by momaka; 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

^ I got 25 as well.
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

there's 26.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

OK, I will start with my CRT monitor collection - or about half of it, anyways:

NOTE: Not in the picture:
                  - the two Sony GDM-FW900 monitors (one of which is dead)
                  - Dell (Sony) D1626HT 21" CRT
                  - Samsung SyncMaster 955 DF 19" CRT
                  - KFC Smile CA6738 17 " CRT

The above picture was taken in the house/apartment I rented for university. I had 3 CRTs on my desk, and two spares, because I didn't have space back at home at the time.
                  But then university ended and I went back home and somehow had to fit everything I had. Miraculously, I did! I just installed some big, deep shelves in my closet to store all of the CRT monitors above, and then filled the gaps between them with other junk

Then my desk looked like this:

Picture is from about a year and a half ago, but it is still relevant.

Yes, all those desktops are functional. The two on the right are my file servers / file backups / file storage (one was in my university apartment, and one at home). The Dell Optiplex was my main computer in my university apt (and still is my main PC). The PC below it was a secondary/game PC a few years back (around 2010-2011 or so.) And the PC under the desk is my current secondary/game PC (since mid-2013) - a classic Athlon 64 rig with an MS-7191 motherboard I posted back last week.

And here is where I keep some of my spare electronic parts (only about 1/2 of it)... try not to laugh at the DYI frame shelf - it was built from leftover 2x2s, 2x3s, and 2x4s. No actual shelfs, as this was built specifically to hold boxes, and shorter on one side, so I can still open my closet doors (to the right of the shelf) and take out stuff (CRT monitors, I mean ).
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1499215509

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  there's 26.
                  Close enough, I suppose.

By the way, I hope you are NOT planning on discarding those cases. Quality beige cases are hard to come by these days. Even the two Deer cases on the far right (second and third case on the right side) are pretty decent. (I have one myself, and aside from crappy ventilation, the case itself is fairly sturdy - about as tough or tougher than what $50 will get you nowadays for a new case).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by momaka; 07-04-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Are you planning on selling any of those cases TC? These new-fangled rave light cases are absolutely fucking annoying, and i won't use one.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

they all have systems of some form in them....including the Deer cases. Those were also used in the Yellowing Removal thread.....the flash makes them appear to still be yellowed, but they really aren't. A pic without flash, and they appear correct. I never throw away a beige case (or any case for that matter) unless its physically damaged beyond use. I have a couple Procase full towers up in the attic still....but a beige case is awesome for a retro build.

Nice CRT collection!! I parted ways with all mine due to space constraints in the past. I gave Ratdude my 24" FD Trinitron. I have a Mag 15", a viewsonic 17", and an Apple II 14" remaining.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Most of my stuff isn't in one place right now, so I can't show pics.

CRT wise, the only noteworthy units are the 24" FD trinitron (900 series, HP rebadge, the one Topcat mentioned) and at my parents house, a 1992 Sony 800x600 256K. Several old meh units exist (a busted late-model samsung, a badly screen-burnt 20" samsung, a 20 something inch mitsubishi that may not work, etc.). I also have a Mac SE and an Emac, which are CRT units. I won't go into LCDs as I have too many to count; the highlights are a pair of 22" HP's, and a 21" LED Acer (to be used with a Dell E series dock, see below).

Computer wise, pretty much all of my desktops that aren't workstations (dual CPU) are gone... the last of them were recently given away. I have a few clay pidgeons still but they exist more because I don't have a reason to junk them, not because I have a reason to keep them. Dual CPU workstation wise, I have 5 units, three of which are/were my main use main rigs at some point, two of which were side projects. All but two are built with ex-topcat boards, and one used to run a pair of boards that were also Ex-topcat through other BCN members (Junk Parts (RIP) and Shovenose) and after that, a board from another BCN member (GG1978), and now a board from ebay (now my wife's workstation and my second fastest setup). I also have two blade servers and a massive half-functional (will only run win2000 pro, and won't take a USB 2.0 card driver wise) IBM netfinity 7000 (another ex-Topcat wonder). I guess I am at least 50% Ex-topcat?

Laptop wise i've lost count. Depends on what counts as functional... I have a couple of dells with faulty charging circuits (Latitude D400, Precsion M70), and a useless but functional Dell Windows 7 tablet. And two "could be funtional" Sony Vaio's sidelined due to lame driver support. But in terms of fully operational laptops, I have a Dell Latitude E6430, a Dell Latitude D630, a Dell XPS M1210, an ASUS X83V, an ASUS Transformer T200TA (what I'm typing off of now ), and a practically useless (to me) Lenovo T40 (was a "low-miles" deal too good to pass up, the defintion of hoarding?). And a Dell Inspiron of some sort (my wife's laptop from college, the one I know nothing of and don't get to mess with). Not to mention a handful of dell Docking stations and the like. And a handful of parts laptops, most of which are only good for screws and CPUs (and screens on the few that still have them).

Yeah, I'm no hoarder.
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 07-04-2017, 09:20 PM.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I still have to organize stuff, but not a lot stuff to show. About 2 LCDs, a CRT, 3 Playstation 1s (2 fats and a slim - planning on getting the old 1002 though so I can replace my slim with that), a PS2 slim (that looks quite weird atm), 4 compuers and an whole closet full of motherboards.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

I never throw away a beige case (or any case for that matter) unless its physically damaged beyond use.
                            That's awesome.

Same here, I re-use everything when I can.

In the job that I just quit (a big electronics retailer - I won't mention the name, but it's not Best Buy), we often had people bring us old beige computers for recycling. Unfortunately, store policy was that as an employee (or anyone else for that matter), you couldn't take anything out of the recycle bins, even if you wanted to pay good money for it. I imagine probably because of data privacy concerns (i.e. someone finding an old HDD with data on it).

I saw some really good old cases there. One of them had a basic Pentium III motherboard setup inside it and a cheap PSU. Nevertheless, that PC weighted more than most big modern gaming PCs with all of their parts inside. And that old Pentium III setup had a tiny CPU heatsink, small video card, a sound card, and two CD ROM drives - not even an HDD! And it weights more! lol

These days, you can't find a decent case for less than $50, and even then you have to be careful what you buy, as some of the cases in that price range are still cheap tin cans that will bend and crumble if you put any force on the case (like sitting on it, for example). It's not until you go into the $100 you start to see more robust cases. And even then, there are some "gamer" cases with lots of lights and gizmos, but still constructed like crap.

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                            These new-fangled rave light cases are absolutely fucking annoying, and i won't use one.
                            I don't mind the lights so much, but they are indeed overused.

What bothers me the most, besides the build quality (as mentioned above), is the color - BLACK. It is SO DAMN OVERUSED. Really, more than 90% of the cases that rolled through the repair shop were black. And they'd have black PCB motherboards, black PSUs, black GPUs... black everything. Ugh . This fad needs to die off already! I mean, I wouldn't mind it so much if we had some other choices - but we don't.

Nice CRT collection!! I parted ways with all mine due to space constraints in the past. I gave Ratdude my 24" FD Trinitron. I have a Mag 15", a viewsonic 17", and an Apple II 14" remaining.
                            Thanks!

Yeah, that's the problem with CRTs - they take a lot of space and weight a ton compared to LCDs. I got all of mine between the years of 2008-2013, when people were throwing them out in masses. (This actually started around 2006-2007, but I didn't have a car back then).

If only we had a house with a big back yard and a shed, I could have gotten even more of them.

For one thing, I did the entire monitor upgrade in a small office for a local non-profit. IT manager there offered me to take as many of the CRTs as I liked. But back then, I already thought I was becoming a hoarded and thought I had no space, so I only took that 21" Sony E540 you see above. They had two (and the one I didn't take was the better one - mine has a really deep scratch on the glass on top). They also had a few 19" Sony's. The rest were 17" Dell M781 and M782. (The M782 are pretty good too - they have a Samsung chassis).

Of all the PC junk I have, I think my CRT collection is perhaps the most valuable, as you simply can't easily find a good CRT anymore. Most have either been "recycled" or dead.

That said, if I die in an accident or something, I expect some of you folks here to inherit my collection. Would be a shame to see it all go to waste if that happened.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            I guess I am at least 50% Ex-topcat?
                            Well, this is badcaps.net - probably one of the few forums online (if not the only) where hand-me-downs are actually cool and not frowned upon.

That's why I never really joined any of the other computer forums online - too many people with the "newer is better" mentality and if it's used, it's crap.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            Yeah, I'm no hoarder.
                            Well, if you can keep it all organized and neat, you sure may be able to convince people otherwise.

I try to take TC's shop/bench as a role model... but I fail.
                            What I really need to do is take out at least a good 50% of the stuff out of my room, make proper shelves, and then bring it back in and organize it. But I've been lazy about it for the past 2 years.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            ... and an whole closet full of motherboards.
                            And I have a crap-ton of GPUs. Last I counted, maybe 40-50 total!
                            Mostly old low-end stuff, but a few good now-rare AGP cards too.

I wonder how many complete computers we can build together if some of us BCN members all brought our PC parts together.

Don't forget the guys with the PSU collections
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ply+collection
                            Last edited by momaka; 07-05-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

there's 26.
                              Damn it, I added one for luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                That looks like my garage, except much cleaner and no wall of VHS videos!
                                hoarders? haha. Thats nothing. Just made this. My dads garage

this shows upside down in MPCHC but rightside up in WMP and firefox. Probably has the phones sensor data embedded so some players know what way to turn it

as an extra enticement to watch it, toward the end you get to see me face to face...actually nevermind that will have the opposite effect, just don't watch the end

http://paullinebarger.net/files/20170709_031322.mp4
                                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

^
                                  My attic looks like that. the stuff shown in this thread is just my office, I try to keep that rather organized.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    hoarders? haha. Thats nothing. Just made this. My dads garage
                                    Dang! How do you even get to some of the stuff?

I know my closet is packed too, but for the most part, I can get stuff out by just taking out a PC case or two at most (only a few of my CRT monitors are really stuck in there with lots of stuff on top of them).

But yeah... I am still a hoarder, I suppose.

By the way, anyone remember this picture from the "Post your desk/workspace 3.0" thread? Or this post from "Post your system" thread.

Thought I'd bring these up, just for fun.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    as an extra enticement to watch it, toward the end you get to see me face to face...actually nevermind that will have the opposite effect, just don't watch the end
                                    lol

Nothing wrong with you man, don't worry.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 07-09-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Dang!

By the way, anyone remember this picture from the "Post your desk/workspace 3.0" thread?
                                      i came
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                      X