Making use of car audio amps at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making use of car audio amps at home

Hello everyone,first post besides my welcome post. As my title states I like to make use of car audio amps for my home desktop computer systems. I also like to do things on the cheap but I will spend if required. Right now my current project is using a R/F P4002 car audio amp. I use this amp for my sub and I want to use the pass through outputs for my satellites, and I want to be able to test with different satellites. OK, getting the sub going was no problem. I have two Logitech X-230 amps and I want to dedicate these two amps for my satellites(each satellite gets an amp). Currently these amps are designed to power a sub and two satellites.So, I want to modify so each satellite has its own amp and all available wattage goes to that one satellite. I am wondering how to configure the TDA 7377 amplifier IC for one channel input and one channel output and block the lower frequencies that should not be going to the higher frequency satellites. Also volume control will be something I will have to work at. I see we have one thread here currently that has already given me some ideas and there is plenty of info out there about this TDA 7377 amp IC. I write to ask for some time saving tips although the hunt in finding the info to do this mod is half the fun. I hope in the future I can help someone else with their project. Thanks in advance.
    Edit: I do see that there is an audio sub forum, perhaps this would have been a better place. I will learn
    Last edited by Student01; 01-23-2017, 07:49 PM. Reason: Better sub-forun

Re: Making use of car audio amps at home

Well, I have done some more research tonight. My base idea of using an amp intended for a car audio application for my sub and then making use of the pass through outputs is still a sound idea. What is not a sound idea it turns out is simply modifying the audio amp used in the Logitech x-230 to power a single satellite speaker, it would require an entire new PCB. No small mod gets this job done. I found some posts on other forums about people wanting to up the output for the two satellites by eliminating the sub. The gain is only about 2w, not really worth it. This TDA7377 IC has 4 outputs, one for each satellite and two are bridged for the sub. The "as constructed" amp in the X-230 is not a good base to modify as I wanted to do. I can improve on clipping and there are some suggested cap replacements,along with a better op-amp to solder in but it is best to leave this pre constructed amp in the two satellites one bridged sub configuration as it already is. Well it is not like there is nothing to do to improve performance with this little amp, just not easily turned into a single speaker amp. I am going to do the cap and opamp upgrades to the two X-230 amps I have and put them in a separate chassis (the amps were inside the sub boxes). I will add some insulation to the inside of the sub box,mabe get a better sub driver and provide better cabling. I think this is the greatest practical upgrade to be done on the X-230. In the end I will have two slightly modified X-230 systems. OK for a start. I am still deciding on what sattelite amp to use with my R/F P4002 but I still like the base idea.

Comment

Working...
    X