abit vp6 poly mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

abit vp6 poly mod

been threatening to do this for a while.it needed a recap and its mine.
    i dont like to do things like this to a customers unit until the mod is proven.
    this board was a trade in that imho had little chance to survive.
    the 3.3v vrm was well cooked by badcaps gone too far.
    see https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=211
    for much worse damage.
    lucky me found the 2 output caps had shorted and saved the northbridge and ram.then the mosfet went open.
    so now comes the poly mod.
    stable at 150 mhz fsb.
    Attached Files

Re: abit vp6 poly mod

kc8adu

When you swap polys for lytics how do you figure the uF you need?
    What has been working?

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

general rule so far is half the capacitance works well.
      in most cases the bulk is not needed but the caps are selected for the lowest esr at a price point.
      look at ref designs of common vrm chips.
      most spec polys.the 270's use 1800's but the 820@2.5 polys work even better.vcore is much cleaner.
      i alway fill the few empty spots these often have.

Comment

My SX270's I polied are holding up well. KC8, I'll be in touch soon, my poly stash is getting low.

nice work on the vp6!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
          My SX270's I polied are holding up well. KC8, I'll be in touch soon, my poly stash is getting low.

nice work on the vp6!
          no problem.let me know what you need.
          i am gonna beat on this one.put my pair of sl52r golden samples in it.
          its running ubuntu 8.04 at 150 fsb.
          gonna push it further in a few days.

Comment

Put 1GB or 2GB worth of SDRAM on the VP6 (four 256MB SDRAM modules for 1GB or four 512MB RAM modules for 2GB), add an AGP video card that can support DirectX 9.0 (at least ATI Radeon 9550 or NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200), add two 1GHz Pentium III processors, and you got a good old computer that supports the Vista Premium system requirements!

Having two single-core Pentium III 1GHz processors is exactly like having one "dual-core" 1GHz Pentium III processor.
            My gaming PC:
            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
              Put 1GB or 2GB worth of SDRAM on the VP6 (four 256MB SDRAM modules for 1GB or four 512MB RAM modules for 2GB), add an AGP video card that can support DirectX 9.0 (at least ATI Radeon 9550 or NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200), add two 1GHz Pentium III processors, and you got a good old computer that supports the Vista Premium system requirements!

Having two single-core Pentium III 1GHz processors is exactly like having one "dual-core" 1GHz Pentium III processor.
              put all the work into it like i did and them spooge it up with vista?
              NOT!!!!

Comment

I don't think spooge is accepted in a scrabble game.
                Nice work, should last forever.
                Jim

Comment

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Spooge

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Semen?

--------------------------

Also, I don't understand how a motherboard made for aluminum electrolytic capacitors can run properly on polymer capacitors. The manufacturer has designed the motherboard specifically for stable operation with aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Lower ESR is not always better. Sometimes, it can actually mess up how the thing works. My father has shown me simulations of that in OrCAD Capture CIS at where he works, and he's an experienced electrical enginneer designing industrial-grade power supplies (not computer ATX power supplies unfortunately).

Newer motherboards with polymer capacitors were designed by the manufacturer to run on polymer capacitors. Before this period of time, back in the year 2000 for example, no one thought of putting polymer capacitors on motherboards.

Your older motherboard may run normally with polymer capacitors, but in theory if the manufacturer designed it for low-ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors it should run better with the proper low-ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

--------------------------

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    put all the work into it like i did and them spooge it up with vista?
                    NOT!!!!
                    Vista isn't a bad operating system. Microsoft has improved many things over XP, and Vista MAY have higher security over XP. I use Vista everyday on my computer, and Vista is FAST.
                    Last edited by Newbie2; 09-21-2008, 08:05 AM.
                    My gaming PC:
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

put xp on that box dual boot and report back on the speed difference.
                      and read my post on why one can sub polys for lytics.
                      bottom line is the lytics were chosen to hit the needed esr at a price point(read cheapest part that will do the job)
                      now look at the reference design for many vrm chips.
                      they spec x number of polys or x number of lytics.
                      i compared what i found on the mobo's with the reference design.most are to the letter.
                      polys cost 3x what the lytics do.
                      you can guess what the beancounters said.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                        Vista isn't a bad operating system. Microsoft has improved many things over XP, and Vista MAY have higher security over XP. I use Vista everyday on my computer, and Vista is FAST.
                        Completely disagree. Vista is garbage, always will be. I'll never use it. When XP is no longer usable, I'll likely go to MacOS. I put visturd on a P4 3.2GHz 2GB ram, and it brought that thing to its knees. Vistrash sitting idle was using 980mb of RAM. There's absolutely no excuse for OS overhead like that, PERIOD. The system was also slow as snot in the cold. Absolutely worthless OS. As for security, any OS is secure if you know how to lock it down. I have a web server running IIS on Win2k, wide open to the outside world, never had any security issues. That sir, is false. Vista had more SP1 exploits/critical fixes than XP and win2k put together had at SP1 points.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

most common service here on a vista machine is to wipe and upgrade to xp or some type of linux.
                          anyone else remember micro$nots last interim o.s?
                          it was a steaming pile of shit too.

Comment

@ Newbie2: Vista is as fast as XP only when you configure it optimally.

Optimal configuration means:
                            - killing Superfetch (beside wasting ram, it slows down computer boot a lot);
                            - tuning Indexing not to watch every damn temp file in your hard drive but only your docs (default is your full User folder, so it indexes all temporary files ...) or killing it too;
                            - tuning Win Defender (let me configure it);
                            - usual XP tuning tips (System Recovery size, disable unneeded services, disable unnedded hardware and protocols, tuning NTFS permissions, ...) except switching off eye candy: if you want Aero, then keep it unless you find it boring (I find animations disturbing, they draw my attention and don't offer any benefit except eye candy); if you can't run Aero (e.g. 100 MB of ram wasted are too much for you), then strip it down to "Win 3.1" appeareance :p because 2D/GDI implementation in Vista is slower than XP one (rumors are it's not hardware accelerated);
                            - do NOT turn off UAC: without UAC Vista is less secure than XP. Unfortunately MS decided to include such a "Talking Cricket" into Vista and I'm like Pinocchio (get lost, Cricket!) so get Tune UAC;

IMO this is the bare minimum to have a responsive system; at default Vista squeaks even more than XP on a Pentium 2 ...

Zandrax
                            Have an happy life.

Comment

is there an option in vista to make it look like win2k? esp. the explorer.
                              i find vista's explorer totally useless.

i agree with those bashing vista: it seems like the best os to just skip.

i don't agree about going to mac, they're too expensive, and some gui things are just counter-intuitive.
                              (i could never get accustomed to window close/minimize being in LEFT corner...)

about "new": everybody now thinks they must release "something new, something different".
                              that undeeded reinventing just means we see and will see a whole lot of garbage...

for example, what the hell is there to expect in windows7: what will they do to make it better.
                              what the hell can it do that i can't do with 2k?
                              i really don't see why they need to bring new os so often.
                              it's not really like they'll be making much more money(see vista).

and those new vista commercials....uh...does it really happen that way?
                              i see something on tv and i go out to buy it?
                              or did web changed that just a lil bit so that some questions are asked first, for example on forums....

vista is crap because nobody really needs it.
                              anytime you make something people don't need you'll have same effect, so it's probably safe to predict same fate for windows7.
                              (all those "improvements" could be just added to old versions...if people want them at all)
                              but i can remember of one good thing: it confuses malware assholes: what os do they write for now? if they make one vista trojan, it's one less for xp crowd...hehe...

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                anyone else remember micro$nots last interim o.s?
                                it was a steaming pile of shit too.
                                That must be winME... I never had it on my personal systems ever. I skipped the win16 code, except win95, which I used for a few months. I went from DOS to Win95, just waiting for NT4. When NT4 came out in 96, I ran that until win2k came out in late 99, and then to XP pro once SP1 came out for it, which was in 2003....still using XP pro today, does everything I need it to do, quickly and reliably.

Security, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder....your OS is no more secure than the ability of the operator to make it that way. This is true for ANY operating system, windows is no exception to this rule.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Dos/3.11 -> W95+3.11 -> NT4+3.11 -> NT4+W98 -> NT4+W98+W2K -> W98+W2k -> W2K

~ Multi Booters ~

Next stop -> W2k+Linux

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                                    vista is crap because nobody really needs it.
                                    You are right and wrong at the same time
                                    I agree there's nothing you can do with sVista that you can't do with Win2k or older... but sVista it's necessary to HW industries to sold new stuff.
                                    All the time M$ add beauty effect to their OS but who really need them?
                                    They add them so most people need more Ram, more space on HD, high performance CPU just to run it.
                                    If you would be able to run sVista on 286/386/486 PC... you wouldn't need a new PC.
                                    What will happen to all industries (Intel, AMD, Asus, Asrock, Nvidia....) if PC will last 20-25years?
                                    With the high volume production they will close very quickly (and waiting to finish their unsold stock) if every now and then there will not a new OS that forces people to change their HW.

Ciao
                                    Gianni
                                    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                    H. J. Brown

Comment

Cars for daily normal use got faster and faster until sometime in the 50's or early 60's when they got fast enough for any realistic need and they (cars for daily normal use) haven't (in reality) gotten any faster since.
                                      - Guess what. They still make cars. People still buy new cars.

MicroSHAFT:
                                      Sells you the $$$$$$$ 'car'.
                                      Legaly prevents anyone else from making maintenance 'parts' for it. (Patches/Updates)
                                      And then stops making the necessary parts themselves.
                                      -> Forcing you to buy a new $$$$$$$$ car if you want or need one.

Why the F*CK would anyone in their right mind stay with a company like that?

I fired MircoSHAFT when XP came out.
                                      None of MY computers have ever had XP on them. - It's not needed or wanted here.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Regarding the poly mod, i think it is great to preserve a great peace of hardware that way. I think i will do the same thing with my current system, when it is time to get a new gaming rig.

For my daily needs, i don`t need anything faster. So i think combined with a nice Monitor switch it is probably the best option.

For those who always nag " you should not do that, it is not designed this way" i can only say that if you have a clue or are willing to learn the needed theory, you can improve / change many things.
                                        Or do you think that those circuits are some kind of ultra complex alien technology? no it is man made, so man can change it.

That said, don`t get me wrong, it is not always easy to fix something or to do such thing without acquiring the needed knowledge. But i think ad Bc.net there are enough people who get theory and reality aligned.

Comment

Working...
                                        X