Slow SpeedStream DSL Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow SpeedStream DSL Modem

We've had AT&T DSL since 2005, and are still using the Siemens SpeedStream modem they gave us back then. It runs 24/7.

For the last few months, the internet has felt kind of sluggish at times. Starting last night, it became unusable. Internet pages loaded very slowly and my ping was through the roof. Netflix took forever to buffer and looked kind of shitty. When my dad and brother both complained to me about slow internet, I knew it wasn't just me.

I cracked open the SpeedStream and found G-Luxon everywhere. This would never do. I had a bunch of leftover Panny FC from a previous project, so I got to replacing caps. I scavenged two bumblebees, a 820uf ruby, and two 100uf 25v Nichicons from a dead Intel motherboard I had in the closet. The rest of the caps are all brand new.

There were two open spots for caps on the board that were unpopulated, this is where I put the bumblebees.

Wouldn't you know it, the internet is nice and snappy again! Snappier than it has been in a long time .
    Attached Files

Re: Slow SpeedStream DSL Modem

Good work. I hope you replaced them with values at least close to the originals. Take out the bumblebees. This is unecessary if not harmful.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Alright, the bumblebees are gone. I was borderline on whether or not I should put them in anyway.

All the values are exactly the same as the originals, except for a 1000uf G-Luxon that I replaced with a 820uf Rubycon.

Comment

Yea that's fine. The last Speedstream I used was the old 5200 years ago. They could be hacked to run as a router and not just a bridge. For some reason, it would only sync with my ISP at 512kbps.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Oh yea, I wanted to ask you what type of AC adapter it uses. If it's regulated, I think you should crack it open and check the caps in there too.

Comment

i had one (a router) go to hell on me... i think it was one of my first threads on BCN.

it had canicon or some other other crap, all of which were blown with the bungs all the way out. i had already stolen the wireless b PCMCIA card out of it... it always ran fine... i just saw the remains, now understanding bad caps more, saw the flaw and freaked (i was still a major noob then)... i thought siemens was better than that...

edit- thwy were tocon caps...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6433

edit2- with that siemens, i just now found out that kc8adu had me beat 6 year earlier:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133

wow... same subforum, brand, model, bad cap brand, and everything... if i only used the search function back then...
            Last edited by ratdude747; 12-22-2010, 12:54 AM.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
              Alright, the bumblebees are gone.
              Get an oscilloscope and you'll know if the bees make the circuit better, worse, or no change. In your Speedstream it appears that the bees supply not present optional circuitry. In other circuits filling in unused capacitors help a lot.
              sig files are for morons

Comment

The power adapter is a big heavy brick, so I think it's linear and not a switcher.

severach, there are three other spots on the board with unpopulated small caps. Do you think filling these in will be beneficial? No scope, so I can't test the bumblebees.

I am going to place an order with Mouser for some more Panny FCs. I want to banish the re-used Nichicon and Rubycon caps I put in there. I want it all new caps and all Panasonic FC .

Comment

Working...
                X