Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Vertical Lines on Samsung LCD TV

Hi,

I'm new to these forums. I have a problem with my Samsung LCD TV. There appears vertical lines where ever there is text on the screen. See my picture attachced. I asked a local TV repairman and he said I have to replace the whole pane. Could this be fixed by replacing some kind of printed circuit board that drives the lcd panel? Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Random Vertical Lines on Samsung LCD TV

Originally posted by agbayh View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to these forums. I have a problem with my Samsung LCD TV. There appears vertical lines where ever there is text on the screen. See my picture attachced. I asked a local TV repairman and he said I have to replace the whole pane. Could this be fixed by replacing some kind of printed circuit board that drives the lcd panel? Thanks for all the help in advance.
    It could be the tcon, it could be the panel.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill. I'll try opening this unit up and see. It's already broke, what is the worse that can happen other than electricute myself. I promise not to do that. I was suspecting it to be not the panel since the lines follow the overlayed OSD type display. The adventure begins. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill. I'll try opening this unit up and see. It's already broke, what is the worse that can happen other than electricute myself. I promise not to do that. I was suspecting it to be not the panel since the lines follow the overlayed OSD type display. The adventure begins. Thanks again.
        The panel displays exactly what is sent to it, as does the T-con. Neither differentiate between OSD and video.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

OK.. Thanks. So if the vertical lines changes location depending on what is being displayed, then the problem is likely upstream and most likely to be one of the logic boards (TCON, Mainboard) and not the Panel/TCP/Driver IC assembly. This is a great forum. So many helpfull people.

Comment

OK.. Thanks. So if the vertical lines changes location depending on what is being displayed, then the problem is likely upstream and most likely to be one of the logic boards (TCON, Mainboard) and not the Panel/TCP/Driver IC assembly. This is a great forum. So many helpfull people.
            Not quite. Consider the T-con as "part" of the LCD. It controls the addressing of the pixels. It doesn't know what an OSD is, it just tells the LCD panel to display this or that given data from the main board. The panel could still be faulty. The good news is, there is a fix when the panels go bad. It works sometimes, it involves applying a bit of tape and pressure to the connectors, but it's not always a permanent fix.

The main board could still be faulty, but I would say it is less likely.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Now, I understand the "shimming" quick fix for some issues with lcd lines. However if the problem is due to an intermittent connection, I would suspect that it would always be the same lines that are affected. Thanks for the susggestion though. I still like the fix suggested on one of the youtube videos. THe guy used a bat and tapped on top of the tv until the lines disappeard. If I had to do that, I would take a bat and take a full swing right in the middle of the panel.

Comment

Now, I understand the "shimming" quick fix for some issues with lcd lines. However if the problem is due to an intermittent connection, I would suspect that it would always be the same lines that are affected. Thanks for the susggestion though. I still like the fix suggested on one of the youtube videos. THe guy used a bat and tapped on top of the tv until the lines disappeard. If I had to do that, I would take a bat and take a full swing right in the middle of the panel.
                It depends on the design of the panel, but different lines may be indicative of a T-con fault not a panel fault, as yes you are correct panel faults usually affect certain lines or the whole display.

Before you do decide to smash it, sell it to someone who can repair it.

Comment

Unless this turns out to be an unrepairable panel, I will repair it and document what I did and share my findings. Recycling is OK but I like reusing/repurposing so much more. Plus this is going to be my guinea pig project on electronic repair. Had been a software guy most of my life. It's time to really work on the fun stuff. I'll Keep you guys posted on my Adventure with this TV. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way as I dig through the anals of circuit analysis. From what I've seen on this forum, there is not a shortage of experts in the field.

Comment

New to this forum but have a similar problem with my 2 year old Samsung 46" LED/LCD. It has vertical colored lines. Bright ones follow the text on the screen and faint ones are on other screen areas. Other parts of the screen look fine. Please see attached pictures. Is this fixable? Is it the Tcon?

Really like the TV but phone quotes for repair (they haven't seen the TV) are $600-$800. I would buy a new one for that. Hate to throw this one away. Any help for DIY repair would be appreciated
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Karl D. View Post
                      New to this forum but have a similar problem with my 2 year old Samsung 46" LED/LCD.
                      What is the exact model number?

Is it the Tcon?
                      What happens to the display if you bring up the TV setup menu?
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It happens sometime in the left side, then the right side. I would try reseating the ribbon cables between the T-CON and the LCD panel first. This kind of problem is hard to be 100% sure, I would spend the money on the least expensive board first.
                        See the examples of what I have found and the fixes are.
                        Attached Files
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

@ budm,

Thanks for nice info.
                          wbr
                          Last edited by anmol; 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            What is the exact model number?

model is UN46B6000VFXZA, Version SQ01

What happens to the display if you bring up the TV setup menu?
                            Still see the vertical lines. Samsung had me reset to factory settings but no change. It is out of warrantee so Samsung could not do any more.

Comment

@anmol, if you want to see more pictures of failed TV's & Monitors, go here:
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/profile/budm
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Make pressure where you have the lines. If it corrects, then the problem are the contacts.

I fixed some monitors by adding styrofoam to make the pressure.

Comment

To: Karl D

OMFG!!! Craig Chaquico from Jefferson Starship - Dig the Hair !!!!

But on a serious note, that fireplace, is it used? may be causing some thermal issues like warping or "drying out" of connectors, or even causing them to shift, even if it is not searing heat, the cumulative effect of the heat over time can cause problems that may not show on the bezel.
                                  Last edited by uberplasma; 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM. Reason: missing info

Comment

have the exact same problem that @agbayh has in original post photo with a samsung. Already replaced the TCON, same issue. was there a final verdict?

Comment

Trying to pick up a dead thread here...
                                      I have the same problem with the vertical lines, not fixed.

I have tried putting pressure to the captators. Tried cleaning and reconnecting the cables between the main and t-con board.

Is the next step to order a new T-con board and if that doesn't work put the TV back where I found it; the dumpster?

Anyone found a solution to this?

Comment

If putting pressure on the tab bonds did not work then if cheap enough, yes try a TCON board.
                                        Though, I would also clean the flex cables from the TCON to the panel.

If all else fails, you could sell the boards either on ebay or here.

Comment

Working...
                                        X