Skylink Net 1008 Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skylink Net 1008 Switch

Here are some Pics of one of two of my network switches. Both have High voltage Gluxon caps in the tiny SMPS and are getting unreliable. After Replacing the I/P caps with soem 5uf Elna 350v (instead those bulged and dried 10uf 400v gluxon) the both units are working fine. At the I/P caps there is only about 320v. So 350v Elna caps should be long therm stable.
    The O/P caps are replaced with some Rubycon MCZ and some Franko generall purpose caps (2000uf for MCZ and 220uf for the small Franko (a German company, don`t know if they are in bussiness yet)).
    The Secondary diode was replaced with an 2x 20 A shotky diode for an experimental messure, the original was not bad.
    Attached Files

Re: Skylink Net 1008 Switch

Erm, see that mosfet in the middle pic where both legs goes into the same solder hole?

WTF is up with that?!
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
      Erm, see that mosfet in the middle pic where both legs goes into the same solder hole?

WTF is up with that?!
      I would guess that it's a double diode package, and not a FET. Then it would make some sense, since they simply used it in such a way as to connect the two diodes in parallel.

Comment

Looks like the PCB was designed for standard 2-lead diode and they later decided to use double diode instead.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
          The Secondary diode was replaced with an 2x 20 A shotky diode for an experimental messure, the original was not bad.

Any questions left?

Comment

MCZ are ultra-low ESR aqueous, and I'm still uncomfortable about using aqueous caps in a PSU. Nichicon PW are my default choice now for PSUs.

Comment

Your right, but i only have this MCZ caps, buying other in small quantities is economically absolut no option there ( if i even could manage tho get them). As long as the temps aren`t that high i have no problems with branded aqueouse caps. If they aren`t getting hot, they have theoretically a incredible lifespann. And in this particular device, there is nothing near warm. And if the ESR will rise, this woun`t have to mutch meaning for this unit ( as those are far superior than those evill GSC)
              For the same reason i have used some MCZ in ATX psu`S (in an Fortron FSP 250-MDM all o/p caps, severall Seasonic SS400FS on the 5vsb line and on some of them on all o/p`s) and i think the will last at least 3 to 5 years in it, if not longer. But of course, for more expensive equipment, i think any long life cap would be a little be on the safer side .
              But up to now i doN´t feel uncomfortable with MCZ`s in PSU`S any more. Only time will tell, if Rubycon have their Aqua solution under control or if they dance on a small ground too. But having those mCZ installed on a K7VZA which is running pretty pretty hot all components on VRM i think if they could stand that, any psu duty will be absolutely no big deal for them.
              But of course if i find a dealer here in Germany for small quantities i would buy some MBZ, FC or some of the long life low esr caps.

Comment

MCZ are ultra-low ESR aqueous, and I'm still uncomfortable about using aqueous caps in a PSU. Nichicon PW are my default choice now for PSUs.
                FWIW, I noticed the other day that Nichicon's HE series is recommended by Nichicon for P/S use. It's a 10K-hour series, lower Z than PW, but not as low Z as HM/HN/HV.

WRT Rubycon, they seem to have "bet the farm" on aqueous electrolytes. Either they think they have good stable products or they're near-idiots. I'm thinking the former.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

To be honest, Rubycon is claimng no more than 2000h lifespann for the MCZ. So they leave it to the desinger to choose either 10000h types or their aqua solution. In any way, i doubth that any of my recaped psu will getting mutch hotter than 45°C if ever.
                  So for me the theoreticall lifespann will be absolut comfortable. Considering the fact that those MCZ could degreade a lot in therms of ESR without any problem for the psu, as their vallues are significantly better than any cap i have replaced with. An for sutch low wattage low temp devices like switches and routers i don`t expect any further problems there for the whole usefull live of those devices. At least for that particular Skylink, my wrt54g and some netgear devices i have recaped.

Comment

On request i add an image of the PSU connection and corresponding voltage.
                    I have done a lazy job, so you have to zoom in to read the labels.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good repair, but the 350V capacitors should have been 400V units, since they are being run at close to their maximum voltage.
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

It`s an old topic, anyway i do not think 350v is too bad. With 320v max. voltage they have plenty of headroom. The 350v is factory guaranteed working voltage.
                        For quality brand capacitors there is IMHO some margin above this and ED series is probably the best of the best in it`s league. They are expensive stuff.

Additionally, i have installed a transill surge diodes and an varistor. Any substantial surge would blow the fuse.
                        Both units are still in use without any issue. Simply working, no reboots no hangs no glitches, nothing.

EDIT: forget to mention, that those ELNA where replaced by Panasonic ED capacitors.
                        Last edited by gonzo0815; 04-20-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X