This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Huntkey 350W. It looks good. Can't find any info on the primary silicon, all I know is that they are MOSFETs. 30A schottky for 5V and 3.3V. Dual 12V rails with a 20A shottky on each. They used a mix of HEC, Aishi, Fcon and Samxon (Samxon GF on the 5VSB )

Also, in the last picture, how come there are so many resistors there? I haven't seen that many resistors before on that section of the PSU.
    Attached Files

Comment

What is the printed capacitance of those primary caps?
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

They say 680uF. But being HEC, who knows...they are good sized though

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
          Huntkey 350W. It looks good. Can't find any info on the primary silicon, all I know is that they are MOSFETs. 30A schottky for 5V and 3.3V. Dual 12V rails with a 20A shottky on each. They used a mix of HEC, Aishi, Fcon and Samxon (Samxon GF on the 5VSB )

Also, in the last picture, how come there are so many resistors there? I haven't seen that many resistors before on that section of the PSU.
          I used to have an almost identical Huntkey (Dynex-branded) 400W with HEC primaries and Fcon caps everywhere else. I don't know what killed it. The computer just started freezing up randomly. Not heavy load, not cold, not hot, not light load... just random. The Astec 200W that I put in solved that problem, but it was an old +5V heavy design in a +12V heavy system, and I didn't like crossloading it like that (it got very hot). The computer is now running happily with a Seasonic S12II Bronze 520W (overkill for this maybe 100W load, but it was on sale).
          Last edited by cheapie; 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
            I used to have an almost identical Huntkey (Dynex-branded) 400W with HEC primaries and Fcon caps everywhere else. I don't know what killed it. The computer just started freezing up randomly. Not heavy load, not cold, not hot, not light load... just random. The Astec 200W that I put in solved that problem, but it was an old +5V heavy design in a +12V heavy system, and I didn't like crossloading it like that (it got very hot). The computer is now running happily with a Seasonic S12II Bronze 520W (overkill for this maybe 100W load, but it was on sale).
            That's strange. I wonder if one of the Fcon caps died without bulging, they're only rated for 2,000 hours @ 105C, other than the caps I think they are nice PSU's especially for their price. Good thing Astec makes fantastic PSU's!

Yeah, that's MEGA overkill

Comment

I prefer Huntkey's older style of heatsinks to the one in your PSU, Pentium4, but that being said, what you have is still a decent unit and at least it's double forward and not half bridge like older Huntkey units.
              That's strange. I wonder if one of the Fcon caps died without bulging, they're only rated for 2,000 hours @ 105C, other than the caps I think they are nice PSU's especially for their price. Good thing Astec makes fantastic PSU's!

Yeah, that's MEGA overkill
              Originally posted by cheapie
              The Fcon capacitors very likely killed your Huntkey. They are cheap Chinese junk. 2,000 hours @ 105*C has nothing to do with it (for the GL series? especially since those ratings are only stated with 60% confidence which means 2,000 hours could be 1,200 hours or 3,300 hours...). That doesn't take into account what happens when the impurities in the Chinese aluminum foil ruin the already subpar Chinese electrolyte. I would imagine that the Fcon on +5VSB went bad first.
              Last edited by Wester547; 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm glad it's not a half bridge unit. And it runs cool with a 140MM fan too. The heatsinks are decent...Wish the primary one was a little bigger and had more fins.

Yeah I know it's not just the temperature rating, but when a cap is only rated @ 2,000 hours, that is pretty bad and in general indicates low quality, especially when they have the role of filtering the output. They have a mix of Fcon GF and GL, they're both 2,000 hours, but the GF series have much better ripple specs for their size, and okayish ESR. I tested all the caps and the Fcon held their specs better than the Samxon GF
                Last edited by Pentium4; 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I wonder if one of the Fcon caps died without bulging, they're only rated for 2,000 hours @ 105C
                  Well, it ran 24x7, so that's 24 (I'll round to 20) hours a day for a total of... 100 days, or 1/3 of a year (at full rated temperature). It lasted about 2 years (at 40 or so degrees exhaust), so I think that's probably the problem. The computer (when running sort of correctly) had all sorts of issues that got worse over time, so I think maybe the ripple (or voltage or something) was way out of control on one of the main rails (probably +12V). The board (and the KZGs on it!) is still perfectly fine, and as I said, is running great with its new power supply.

Comment

It looks like to me that it is a half bridge unit, meaning it uses BJT's.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                      It looks like to me that it is a half bridge unit, meaning it uses BJT's.
                      They each read FSW09N90AG. Can't find much info on them

Comment

One thing about Huntkey guys, I've managed to push them into making second revision of their flagship FX500SE, 500W 80 PLUS Platinum PSU. They should be now using completely japanese caps only.

I should get a sample in next weeks, probably as the only one in central Europe (maybe even whole Europe). If all goes well and I'll like them, I will hopefully become their ditributor in Central Europe.

I'll than make a thread on forums and if anybody will also be interested, we can establish some cooperation than…
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The action is at the end, but you can see how the power usage climbs overall as the PSU's already poor efficiency goes downhill. And yes, it got quite hot toward the end there, even with the fan screaming (hard to hear over the loud case fans that were closer to the phone sitting on the case that I used to record this than the PSU fan)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37J9FZWls0

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                            One thing about Huntkey guys, I've managed to push them into making second revision of their flagship FX500SE, 500W 80 PLUS Platinum PSU. They should be now using completely japanese caps only.

I should get a sample in next weeks, probably as the only one in central Europe (maybe even whole Europe). If all goes well and I'll like them, I will hopefully become their ditributor in Central Europe.

I'll than make a thread on forums and if anybody will also be interested, we can establish some cooperation than…
                            Very cool, keep us updated!

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            The action is at the end, but you can see how the power usage climbs overall as the PSU's already poor efficiency goes downhill. And yes, it got quite hot toward the end there, even with the fan screaming (hard to hear over the loud case fans that were closer to the phone sitting on the case that I used to record this than the PSU fan)
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37J9FZWls0
                            Careful man, you don't want that thing frying your nice system! Surprised that thing did over 300W, the ripple was probably over double spec, maybe more. Post pics of the carnage?

Comment

You plugged that piece of crap into a decent computer?

Comment

I'm hoping it wasn't the 12V rectifier that blew. It probably had a 20A part and just the 295 by itself running furmark would overload it, and that thing has one of those horrible, classic T Leadman style heatsinks

Comment

lti, the hdd in that computer is on its way out anyway, the motherboard, ram, and cpu, are under warranty, and that gtx 295 is a noisy power hungry piece if crap.

That said I'm running the same test on a really old (original s12 I think) seasonic 300w psu and it is doing great

Pentium4, actually it was the controller ic that blew up. Everything else looks perfect
                                  And the computer still works.
                                  That's only the second half of the video... the psu lasted about 20 minutes total under those conditions. I thought it would die much quicker.
                                  Last edited by shovenose; 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Who is their US distributor?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                      Who is their US distributor?
                                      Beat me…
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Beat me…
                                        Well, what roles does a distributor have? Would you simply be the point of contact for people to purchase Huntkey products? Or would you be in charge of shipping them, etc?

Comment

Importing distributors:
                                          - arrange imports from foreign countries
                                          - arrange paperwork, tax and other documents
                                          - usually prepare marketing material
                                          - sell products to retailers/other distributors
                                          - handle certification and safety testing (though often just passing on fake documents from China)
                                          - handle recalls/returns (often by going bankrupt and avoiding the problem altogether)
                                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                          X