Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original xbox usb mod

ok, so who has seen these?

WHat haopened was someone discovered that the original xbox was just a PC with a few changes. desktop drives. modded p3 coppermine cpu. and my favorite, controllers using usb signaling.

so, you can actually cut off the xbox plug and solder on a usb plug, and then use it on your computer.

for windows, no driver exists from microsoft (duh) but lukily, someone made a free one avaible at:

http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

it works great!

and better yet, the linux kernel has the driver built in (but the 360 controller is still at beta stage).

i currently have 3 and a 4th on the way:

1- blue intec mini with different vibration settings and turbo. all buttons, sticks and triggers work

1- green pelican with 2 sets of black/white buttons (second set above triggers), all works including the 2nd set of buttons

1- silver madcatz microcon. white button does not work nor does the x axis on the second stick. it was the first one i bought, it was in rough shape but it was a good start

on the way:

1- name-brand xbox controller. when i mod it this weekend, i will take how-to pics and post a how-to on the mod.

i paid 3 bux for each controller, at goodwill of course.

ps- the reason id did this was:

1- usable usb joypads are scarce at goodwill, but xbox ones show up relatively often. 3 plus a dead usb cord is cheaper then 15-20 bux online, plus shipping

2- analog triggers. good for racing games, which for me is torcs (for linux), which supports analog throttles. too bad super tuxkart doesnt last i checked.

3- because modding is priceless.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Original xbox usb mod

ps- the memory slots work, too with the mod. the controller as a 3 port usb hub in it.
    sigpic

Comment

I use my Xbox as a media center using XBMC http://xbmc.org/ ... works better than any PC media centre I've seen so far (or is that media center?)

Comment

If you're looking for a serious gamepad, you should take a look at the 360 controller - it is by far the best PC controller out there.

Comment

Same here. Very cheap too.

Comment

xbox 360 = no linux support. and, too expensive compared to the xbox controller, which linux has pre-installed.

btw, i have no xbox. i bought the controller to convert. i could have gotten a dead one for 20, but i chose not to. besides, xbox has shitty cooling. my friend had to mod his to get it to run, but when that wasnt enoough, he craigslisted it and bought a 360.
            sigpic

Comment

why isnt this a serious gamepad? cmon, what is wrong with these? all it takes is solder, a download, and some electrical tape.
              sigpic

Comment

an article on the linux side of xbox controllers (why the 360 is a pain to use, at the least)

edit- a link helps:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xbox360Controller
                sigpic

Comment

the reason is because it takes soldering lol. and linux. where games aren't. and the 360 controller is nicer and pnp usb.

Comment

look. i use linux. not windows. just look at the apple thread going on right now. im not switching. btw, the modded xbox is pnp, too. as much as the 360, which also needs a driver.

for me, torcs, supertuxkart, supertux racer, trigger, tremulous, etc. is my thing. free, and adequate graphics. if you want perfect graphics, buy a console. if you want to be cheap and not, use linux.
                    sigpic

Comment

I tried playing COD4 modern warfare on pc at a lan party with my 360 controller, I got owned. Too use to the keyboard and mouse layout.

I'll keep the controller with halo 3 and gta4.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                        look. i use linux. not windows. just look at the apple thread going on right now. im not switching. btw, the modded xbox is pnp, too. as much as the 360, which also needs a driver.

for me, torcs, supertuxkart, supertux racer, trigger, tremulous, etc. is my thing. free, and adequate graphics. if you want perfect graphics, buy a console. if you want to be cheap and not, use linux.
                        there's a supertux racer now?! lol i've been playing normal tux racer all these years... nah i'm just screwin with ya, i hate using controllers. CS:S with a controller is a pita.

Comment

to me, racing using a keyboard and mouse is stupid. i have to have a stick, pad, or wheel (which i have lots of)

but w9ith the 360 think of it like this:

wireless: $50

wired:$25

xbox modded:

controller: $3-$5- granted, thats used, but who is going to find a used 360 contoller at goodwill?

cable- either a beat up one in the junk bin (priceless) or a goodwill one ($1-$2)

soldering- to most on the forum this is a joke. soldering is second nature to a good deal of us. solder- maybe 2 cents? tape- 5 cents?

total is $3 to $7. sure beats 25 or 50
                          total price:
                          sigpic

Comment

oh, btw, the issues with the madcatz is the hardware, not the driver. the other beef i had with it was that the rumple motor wires were broken in it (so i removed te motors to save weight) and the under-the-stick buttons sont work at high stick angles. thats more of a problem in supertuxkart since i use the left button for my handbrake.
                            sigpic

Comment

The only real good xbox controllers are the ones made by Microsoft. We had a cheaper one by some chinese company, buttons stuck, one of the analog sticks broke, and it was sketchy when it worked.

We just bought microsoft built ones. Still have those giant fat ones that came with them, tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                if you want perfect graphics, buy a console.
                                Please don't start with that. My Radeon 4850/E7500 C2D whoops the 360's ass in terms of graphics. I've done side-by-sides with L4D, Burnout, and BioShock. Even my friend, who's always been big on consoles, admitted that the games looked better on my PC than on his xbox.

Comment

i was referring to those who DONT have 1-2k to drop on a pc.

besides, a console is geared towards games, a pc does it all. as they say, "jack of all trades, master of nothing"

ill keep my 100% free torcs, thank you.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                    The only real good xbox controllers are the ones made by Microsoft. We had a cheaper one by some chinese company, buttons stuck, one of the analog sticks broke, and it was sketchy when it worked.

We just bought microsoft built ones. Still have those giant fat ones that came with them, tanks.
                                    was that brand betop? the SUCK! so does MADCATZ, btw.

Intec is known to be chaep but thier stuff was a better deal than madcatz. i was surprised by the difference between the madcatz and the intec interms of quality and precision of the sticks.

pelican make decent stuff. the one i have is same as intec in terms of precision. but the pelican matches the orginal xbox controller closer, minus the extra buttons

the orgianal one is the newer, non-duke (hamburger) style. ill mod it tm or sunday. with pics on how to do it.
                                    sigpic

Comment

hmm... the rumble on the intec is stronger (and has a 3 speed switch on the controller) than the pelican... odd...
                                      sigpic

Comment

i don't have 1k to drop on a computer, my radeon 4650/opteron 1210 is still better than a 360. and mine was only 300 max. but yeah, honestly, gaming is for consoles. you wouldn't play piano with a pc keyboard would you? (please don't show me any ableton youtube videos)

Comment

Working...
                                        X