Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to the board, very desparate to get my board working again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to the board, very desparate to get my board working again!

Hi all.

My board, a Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ, has three bad 3300uf 6.3V KZG caps on it (all three bulging at the top with one also leaking at the bottom). This happened a month ago and I've been witout a real machine since (my P3-500 laptop was doing duty, but it just crapped out on me today). I'm at a point where I need to get this thing running ASAP as I cannot run a particular app without it (Pro Tools).

I can replace them myself, but I can't get them today. However, I have an old P3 motherboard laying around that has some Choyo 1200uf 6.3V caps on it. What are the consequences of me swapping all 6 of the 3300uf caps on my gigabyte board for the 1200uf's?

I know it's quite possibly a VERY bad thing to do, but, as I've said, I 'm pretty desparate at this point.

Re: new to the board, very desparate to get my board working again!

I would definitely NOT recommend doing that, you'd be replacing 19800uF with only 7200uF, which would be bad. However, if you actually MUST get this up and running, I would suggest only replacing the bad ones (the three bulgers) and leave the other three that are good. This would only be a temporary fix though, as the other KZGs aren't far off, and the Choyos are underrated and known to be junk. If it runs, order new caps from digikey as soon as possible. Replace all six caps here (and any other KZGs on the board). I recommend the Panasonic FM series. While you have the board in the temporarily fixed state, do not tax it very hard, and do not run it for extended periods of time. Other people might have more advice Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
      I would definitely NOT recommend doing that, you'd be replacing 19800uF with only 7200uF, which would be bad. However, if you actually MUST get this up and running, I would suggest only replacing the bad ones (the three bulgers) and leave the other three that are good. This would only be a temporary fix though, as the other KZGs aren't far off, and the Choyos are underrated and known to be junk. If it runs, order new caps from digikey as soon as possible. Replace all six caps here (and any other KZGs on the board). I recommend the Panasonic FM series. While you have the board in the temporarily fixed state, do not tax it very hard, and do not run it for extended periods of time. Other people might have more advice Good luck!

I've looked on Digikey prior to finding this site. My search came up with United ChemiCon parts, however I can only order them in lots of 800 and 1000 and they don't stock them. Do you have a particular part number for the panasonics (and can they be ordered individually?)

Comment

Yeah I can get you part numbers - I'll need the measurements though:
        Diameter (mm)
        Height (mm)
        Maximum Height (mm) (could be unlimited if there are no clearance issues)
        Lead Spacing (mm)

Comment

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12373-ND

UCC typically will almost always use correct sized caps, so they should be 12.5mm, unless they are specially made for this motherboard and are 10mm, in which you are SOL as far as digikey goes, but those panasonic FM's I linked should do fine.

Comment

see what topcat has. active forum members get 1/2 off
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Mouser -

Nichicon HZ series: 3300uF, 6.3v, 10x25mm, .0065 ESR, 4690ma ripple, $1.06 each

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...%252bYmqZVs%3d

Hurry! Only 349 left!

Or, get in touch with TopCat here and order the Rubycon MBZ series from him:
              https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22
              https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23

Toast

EDIT: Get that one leaking from the bottom off ASAP and get the mess it left cleaned up. The electrolyte will eat through the board traces. Use 70% or higher isopropyl alcohol (drug store) and Q-tips and an old toothbrush to get it removed. Hair dryer afterwards to warm and evaporate any moisture left.
              Last edited by Toasty; 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM.
              veritas odium parit

Comment

I didn't know mouser sold nichicon HZ....time to buy some more caps I don't really need!

Comment

get enough mbz from topcat to do the whole board and forget about bad caps happening again.
                  do everything 470 and up.
                  also dump the 330@25 choyo's gigabyte likes to use.
                  tc may even have a kit for that one.

Comment

gigabyte=choyo:

so, my laptop in my sig has a 60 choyo hard drive!
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Shoot me a PM with your needs, I'll have the caps you need for it.

I don't offer quite half off, but I do give forum members a good price break.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

thanks topcat that is good to know

Comment

WOW Very cool TC Glade I joined! i'll be making an order soon too.
                          X99 5930K
                          X99-gaming 9
                          EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                          Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                          SSD'S
                          Corsair AX1200

Comment

Mouser is much better for small orders in my opinion. I'm pretty much a Mouser-only person nowadays. Newark for the occasional IC Mouser doesn't have. Digikey for anything else.

Comment

Or you can just get them from TC.

Comment

bumping almost 2 year old threads just to say "wow very cool tc" ..?

Comment

you WHAT? nobody told me that. I got 22 caps for a bad linksys 48-port gigabit router. had no idea you offered discounts 4 members. damnit
                                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                    bumping almost 2 year old threads just to say "wow very cool tc" ..?
                                    I didn't see how old it was till after I posted...............
                                    X99 5930K
                                    X99-gaming 9
                                    EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                                    Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                                    SSD'S
                                    Corsair AX1200

Comment

Working...
                                    X