Modify a wireless mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modify a wireless mouse

I've got this wireless mouse thats band new used 2 times as it consumed too many batteries and didn't work so well.
    I would like to modify it to connect directly to the pc by usb cable if possible?? any info appreciated.

Re: Modify a wireless mouse

I've soldered mine to 3.3V from PSU.
    Worked nicely.

Comment

usb mice are so cheap now a days, why waste the time when you can get a logitech one for $14
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

if that was the case I wouldn't have bothered signing up to the forum, another thing is why create more trash, $14.00 is not the point here if I want to learn how a gadget works!

Comment

Here 2 pics of the boards top and bottom if anyone can tell me where to solder the wires for a usb cable? I got orange,blue, green and white wires from the usb cable that came from the other broken mouse!
          Any help much appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

Why not just get a 3v line going directly to the battery terminals? It seems like the simplest way to go about this.

Comment

Originally posted by rigeback View Post
              I would like to modify it to connect directly to the pc by usb cable if possible??
              I'm not sure, but this may not be possible.

The reason for that is because the mouse communicates wirelessly with the receiver, and then the receiver takes the signals from the mouse and sends them to the computer via USB. The signals that get sent over the wireless connection, however, may not be the actual signals that get sent to the computer via USB. In other words, if the receiver does any signal processing of the wireless signal, then making this into a USB mouse won't be possible.

Really, the simplest option is to wire an external 3v power supply, as Pyr0Beast suggested.

Or if you feel like experimenting, I have an idea of my own (but I suspect it won't work) - it's to wire the mouse's antenna with the antenna of the receiver and also wire the mouse's ground to the ground of the receiver. But again, I don't know much about antennas so this may not work.

By the way, there's two connectors on the board - are they connected to anything, and if so, what is it?

Comment

There is no USB interface chip in that kind of mouse.
                That chip is in the receiver.

Edit: Yeah, what he said....
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Use rechargeable batteries is what I would do.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                    Use rechargeable batteries is what I would do.
                    My A4Tech wireless kit uses rechargeable batteries for the mouse, it came with two sets, and there's a charger built into the receiver. I've had them for over 4 years and the only thing that failed is the red charger LED. As for the keyboard... it held for 2 years on its alkalines.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

If your receiver is of the "mini" kind you could take a hole in the mouse and let it sit inside the mouse. That would solve the wireless part. Then you would have to do some piggyback and take voltages from the usb as well to drive the mouse (ofc you need to fix the voltages and stuff as well to suit).

Cant say its in any way practical to do it this way but rebuilding the mouse to cable use is just too much trouble, would probably be easier to grab all parts needed and do it from scratch.

I think a better solution would be to get some really beefy rechargeable batteries for it. Or as others said already, hook it up to some kind of external power. Maybe even build a external battery back with wires to the mouse for more longlasting power.

Or why not rebuild it to get its power from some coil in your mousepad that induces current over to the mouse or something if you wanna go spaceage

Comment

How about solar?

Attached Files
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Nice picture, Bonez.
                          This is the official final design, right?

Comment

Yes I think I'll go for the solar panel!!
                            Thanks for all the feed back, tried a few things like 3v hookup etc but the bottom line is this mouse is not worth the trouble as the communication with pc is not consistant even using the original configuration with batteries.
                            Moral of the story do not buy a Light Wave mouse!

Comment

Working...
                            X