Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic 42" plasma screen TH-42PZ82BA cheap fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic 42" plasma screen TH-42PZ82BA cheap fix?

Hi,
    Found this TV lying dumped today tried it on the inverter I had in the car and got it to power up. However seems to have a bad case of sparkles! Anyone tell me if it's a quick or cheap fix possible X/Y boards? from what I've seen elsewhere. Hooked the laptop up to the TV and getting similar results on all HDMI ports When TV is on with nothing connected there is loads of red sparkles

Took some pics of the same image off the laptop to compare against the TV's output.
    Attached Files

Re: Panasonic 42" plasma screen TH-42PZ82BA cheap fix?

You'll need to check the various voltages from psu and the other voltages on y-sus/x-sus
    TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
    PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Cheers,
      Any idea what they should be or should I follow the guide that I've seen on here already?

Comment

Update,
        Went switch on tonight to have a nosey but now getting 7 red blinking lights of death. Any ideas on cause?

Comment

Probably SC board fault. Take the cover off and get some pictures.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Cheers Tom,
            Will need to be in the morning before I can throw a pic up anything that I should be looking for? I did just power it up as there was a load of dust over the board and removed it in case it was shorting/arcing out some of the parts it was really thick between D 41/42.

TV didnt want to power up at first but it's now on so will try and see if I can play about with it as per your video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gL_8VeS5-c

Edit weird thing just happened after doing the screen tests the final screen was a grey one with a temp reading of 27 on it it then cut out then I switched it back on and noticed after a short time the no signal message was fine and the sparkles had gone from the black screen hooked it up to my laptop in HDMI port 3 and everything worked fine although there was a slight buzzing noise. Was Ok for a few mins then fell over again and the buzzing stopped.
            Last edited by DavyMac; 04-16-2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Since it's intermittent I'm saying D board, about £20 on eBay, just need to make sure you get the 42" PZ80 variant, otherwise is fine. Possibly is just that cable though it doesn't normally cause 7 blinks. These TVs have great picture once properly adjusted, the picture will blow almost anything else out of the water (the only thing that beats it is a newer Panasonic plasma!) They are also extremely well built. I kept the 46" in the video, after reseating the cable it's been picture perfect for over a year, sitting in my living room. Great TVs! Just fixed a 46" PZ82 too recently with 2 blinks fault. 10 & 2 blinks are most common on these but they are easily fixed. Actual plasma panel faults are very, very rare.
              Last edited by tom66; 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM. Reason: removed repetition removed repetition
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Take it this is the D board? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANASONIC-...item2a3a1dfdfd

Comment

One of these:
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LVDS-board...item1e87260d62
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANASONIC-...item1c3ee326f3
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TNPA4439-1...item3f257b2e0f

That's SU/SD boards.

Best order by exact part# and suffix on your board.

Comment

Got a D board for £14 plus £4 shipping fingers crossed it's going to do the job!

Comment

You ordered the exact 42" version right? The 46" board won't work, for example...

Comment

I have now! I checked the part no and had TNP A4439 but the one I'd ordered had the same number but was off a 46" screen contacted seller and explained wrong order and got another (correct!) board

Comment

Right new board came today plugged it in and...nothing can hear the relay kick in and the power button goes green blinking rapidly for a bit then clicks off and goes back to the 7 red lights re-tried the old board as well and now getting same result. Have I missed doing something when swapping over etc

Comment

All ribbon cables, connectors installed?
                            Buffer boards (SU/SD) installed and secured? (The screws are essential!)
                            Does light on SC board glow before set turns off?
                            I just sold a PZ85 tonight, wish I could do a test, can do one when I next get hold of one.

Comment

I'll double check tonight after work never noticed the light did wonder what it was for though! TBH I just installed some screws on the D/Main board in case I had to strip it down again all ribbons etc look to be in missed one first time around. DO I need to have all the screws installed on these boards above first?

Haven't touched the buffer boards so the screws should still be in place.

Comment

All screws should be in place.

Comment

If you manage to get this to fire up again, see if you can measure the following.

TPVSET (330V)

TPVAD (-140V)

TPVSCN (= VAD + 148V, so 8V )

I have had a 2009 HD model give 7 blink, intermittently could get it to fire up. Display was ok but you could tell it was not quite perfect. I found VAD was right on the threshold and the adjustment pot made no change. Ended up being SC. Been faultless since.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    All ribbon cables, connectors installed?
                                    Buffer boards (SU/SD) installed and secured? (The screws are essential!)
                                    Does light on SC board glow before set turns off?
                                    I just sold a PZ85 tonight, wish I could do a test, can do one when I next get hold of one.
                                    I can see a very small green LED light to the right of the SC (assuming this is the board next to the buffer boards)
                                    Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                    If you manage to get this to fire up again, see if you can measure the following.

TPVSET (330V)

TPVAD (-140V)

TPVSCN (= VAD + 148V, so 8V )

I have had a 2009 HD model give 7 blink, intermittently could get it to fire up. Display was ok but you could tell it was not quite perfect. I found VAD was right on the threshold and the adjustment pot made no change. Ended up being SC. Been faultless since.
                                    Any idea how to locate these as I'm a total Noob!

Comment

They're well marked all near each other.

TPVSET (330V) next to TPVAD, off R831

TPVAD (-140V) right next to TPVSCN offthe inductor.

TPVSCN marked and arrow to one end of R860, same corner as SC20 and near trimpot

probably should mention all on the SC board if you did not pick up on that.
                                      Last edited by tw2005; 04-25-2014, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Ok cheers will try and measure later however when I switch on the TV I get these small green LEDs appear on each board then they gradually get fainter then disappear is this normal?

The SC board will be to the left hand side looking at it from the rear?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X