X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung HPS4253X/XAA Plasma

Samsung HPS4253X/XAA plasma.

This plasma won't turn on.
    When I plug it in I get a flash of "sparkles" of all colors for less than a second (see pic#1).
    Afterwards it's just relay clicks--powering on and off with no picture.

I took off the back cover to check out the y/z sustains. (see pic#2)
    I unplugged the z-sustain (yellow circle #1) and I would get the same result--sparkles for a split second.
    Then I alternated and unplugged the y board (circle #2). When I unplug this one there is no sparkle, just a black screen.

I don't see swollen capacitors or any other visual damage. Also, my readings for Va, Vsc, Vs, Ve, and Vset all check out according to the table on the tv.

How to fix?
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung HPS4253X/XAA Plasma

Below the main board there should be a smaller board, a control/logic board. Is there a light on this board... if so, does it blink continuously?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Below the main board there should be a smaller board, a control/logic board. Is there a light on this board... if so, does it blink continuously?
      Tom, there is a green light that blinks continuously. it's was difficult to find as it was beneath another board. the light blinks when the tv is on, but turns off for a moment as it cycles through the relay.

Comment

Ok, would you be able to get a clear photo of this board? I suspect the main board is not sending a video signal to it.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I'm working on this same exact model. It's the second time in 3 years that it went out. Mine will stay on for 2 minutes and then turn black.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            Ok, would you be able to get a clear photo of this board? I suspect the main board is not sending a video signal to it.
            Tom, I apologize for not responding sooner.

I had to unplug a few pins and remove a board in order to reveal the board that has the blinking lights.

The first photo shows the board i had to remove, the second photo shows what was behind that board, and finally the third photo is a close up of the board you requested (the one that has the blinking lights).

Thank you for your time. If there is anything else i can do to help find a solution, please let me know.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vengeance View Post
              I'm working on this same exact model. It's the second time in 3 years that it went out. Mine will stay on for 2 minutes and then turn black.
              Vengeance,

What measures have you taken to solve the problem? Although we have similar issues with the same model, I think we may have encountered different problems--my television won't show a picture, not even for 2 minutes.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Ok you see the small black square at the top left of the control board, with the 4 pins numbered?
                  Use a piece of wire and connect pins 3&4.

Disconnect the LVDS cable (the one with the different coloured wires)

Power on the tv and if you get test patterns on the screen you require a new mainboard.
                  Last edited by Hamie; 03-28-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

To clarify, main board meaning the one with HDMI inputs on it, not on the board you have jumpered.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamie View Post
                      Ok you see the small black square at the top left of the control board, with the 4 pins numbered?
                      Use a piece of wire and connect pins 3&4.

Disconnect the LVDS cable (the one with the different coloured wires)

Power on the tv and if you get test patterns on the screen you require a new mainboard.
                      Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread.
                      I followed your instructions. I connected pins 3 and 4, and left the LVDS cable disconnected.
                      Unfortunately, the television does not display any test patterns. Nothing has changed.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you for your time.

Comment

So--With the set all wired as intended--all plugs connected etc, The voltages are all correct?
                        --Particularly the -Vy and VSC and Ve....?

--There is no very dim glow from the panel--may need a dark room to see....?

If not, I think I would be looking for an Open circuit device--fusible resistor, MOSFET IGBT etc on Y-SUS or X-SUS....
                        Its the mal-discharge when first turned on that makes me think there's something amiss in Y-SUS..

Do you have a dual-channel 'scope...?

Time to check waveforms I think....
                        Last edited by Alastair E; 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM.
                        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                          So--With the set all wired as intended--all plugs connected etc, The voltages are all correct?
                          --Particularly the -Vy and VSC and Ve....?

--There is no very dim glow from the panel--may need a dark room to see....?

If not, I think I would be looking for an Open circuit device--fusible resistor, MOSFET IGBT etc on Y-SUS or X-SUS....
                          Its the mal-discharge when first turned on that makes me think there's something amiss in Y-SUS..

Do you have a dual-channel 'scope...?

Time to check waveforms I think....
                          I've checked the Voltages according to the table that's next to the boards. I remember that everything checked out.

As for your second question. There is DEFINITELY a dim glow when I turn it on.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Is the glow permanent?
                            Is the vsc voltage steady and always present?
                            Do you have sound?

Comment

Ah--Dim glow, no test-patterns, all voltages correct--Prob Control-board then....
                              --Providing of course--as Hamie says--Its always present with stable-voltages....
                              TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                              http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                              PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Is the glow permanent?
                                Is the vsc voltage steady and always present?
                                Do you have sound?
                                The glow is not permanent. It will turn off and on while clicking.

My readings for Va, Vsc, Vs, Ve, and Vset all check out. As well as the D5.3V and STB-5V pins. All voltages are good.

No sound as of yet. Is there a procedure for checking for sound? I get no static/feedback.

Comment

Ok so the voltages can't be permanent then?
                                  They must be rising and falling as the tv cycles.

Maybe a problem with the power supply.
                                  If you unplug the ysus and xsus, does it continue to click.
                                  It should click once or twice, then be on. Stable vs va.

Comment

Ok so the voltages can't be permanent then?
                                    They must be rising and falling as the tv cycles.

Maybe a problem with the power supply.
                                    If you unplug the ysus and xsus, does it continue to click.
                                    It should click once or twice, then be on. Stable vs va.
                                    You are correct, voltages rise and fall as the tv cycles.

After unplugging the x and y sustain, the tv continues to cycle through the relay.... it doesn't stay on.

Comment

Ok so it's almost certainly a powersupply fault.
                                      It may also be the mainboard however.

To be absolutely certain you'll need to jump the powersupply on without the mainboard connected.

Do you know how to do this?
                                      Last edited by Hamie; 04-05-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Ok so it's almost certainly a powersupply fault.
                                        It may also be the mainboard however.

To be absolutely certain you'll need to jump the powersupply on without the mainboard connected.

Do you know how to do this?
                                        I don't know how to do this.

There are 3 boards that we are talking about which are located towards the center.
                                        My pictures show a board towards the top (1), and two towards the bottom with one in front(2) and the other behind it (3).

If I'm not mistaken, the boards are
                                        1. Powersupply
                                        2. Control board
                                        3. Mainboard

is this correct?

Comment

Working...
                                        X