Clear All

how NOT to do a recap

i couldnt believe this guy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwjk2oVYBBA

Re: how NOT to do a recap

Originally posted by stj View Post
    i couldnt believe this guy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwjk2oVYBBA
    Reminds me of my old 350W CWT I had when I first bought it. (second hand) I found a dangling around 2200uF 16v UCC KY cap that was connected with wires.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Reminds me of this guy:
      https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...caps-on-a-psu/

Using GP caps instead of low impedance. And fan controlled by the Motherboard...
      Is there anything more you can do wrong?

Comment

but what pisses me off is that people look on guys like that as experts - just because they post video's!!

Comment

Good posts guys, I've been using Antec PSU's for PC Replacments for the last 4-5 years, only ever had one come back under warrenty, whats your take on Antec branded PSU's, They are a very solid build, and were recommended to me by another Technician, I've never had to do a recap so i dont even know if they use quality Caps in the build or not, must check it out when i get time, tanx guys

Comment

totally agree stj, sites such as Youtube are great but for every good video posted there are 100's of particularly bad and some even very dangerous ones as we've seen.

Comment

Antec, when they work, they are good.
              but the soldering is not always good and the caps are crap - atleast on the older ones.
              i'v not seen in any recent ones.

Comment

but the soldering is not always good and the caps are crap - atleast on the older ones.
                Recent ones sadly seem to be mostly Seasonic. With full Japanese caps. In General all High Current ones and the Edge and True Power Classics come with 'All japanese caps', though Edge and TPC are just seasonic G-Series. And really interesting are only the (expansive) High Current Pro Platinum ones -> made by Delta.
                Don't know much about the lower end ones though. Some are made by Delta and use non japanese caps...

Comment

Tanx for that guys, good to know

Comment

but what pisses me off is that people look on guys like that as experts - just because they post video's!!
                    Heard of Dunning Kruger?

You need to be competent to know if the other one is competent.
                    If you are incompetent, you don't/can't know if the other is incompetent.

Though sometimes you may want/need to use your brain to see if it is sensible what's done...
                    Sometimes you can see that the one is incompetent -> PCB of PSU looks clean...

Comment

i watched a "tech guy" on utube the other day spend over a min pressing F2 on a keyboard only to declair that the motherboard could be faulty because he couldnt enter the bios.

it clearly said at the bottom of his monitor "press DEL to enter"

what a dickhead!

Comment

The last ones I can confirm being CWT-based, are the 2005s.

Mostly 2000-2005.

Fuhjyyu caps appear to be the worst in 2003, 2004 and 2005...

I think my 2005 Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W got a bulging Fuhjyyu cap on the +5 VSB rail, because it had a lower-pitched squeal when the PC was off and the house was quiet... (Back in 2011, right before I stopped using it.)
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-23-2017, 06:25 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                        X