Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really Corsair? A 250$ PSU with bad solder joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really Corsair? A 250$ PSU with bad solder joints?

Hey guys, this is kinda weird for corsair, especially for this high class of a PSU. I have a Corsair HX750, which if I remember correctly, I paid 250$ for, Newegg has them listed for 260. It's a really fine PSU, pics below show the amazing build of this thing, except I didn't pull the board (yet).

This one is about 2-3 years old, used to run a BTC miner, now runs my gaming pc. Well, as of a few weeks ago, my USB ports were getting funky, then out of nowhere they'd shut off and unless I unplugged everything from the mobo, I didn't get them back. I could leave small things like a mouse or keybo, but anything high draw like a network adapter, external hard drive etc, wouldn't let them come back. So I ran some voltage testing annnnnnnnd:

4.37V under small load.

Obvious problem there.

Well, I opened the case, all voltage regulators seemed fine, nothing obviously wrong at first glance so I tore it apart and nothing. Then I went to the PSU after still not seeing anything wrong, plus this was an Asus board which I religiously use because I never have problems.

So I get the PSU open and hey! Looking good with all those japanese caps, NCC and Panny's all around, nice! No bad caps here. Except... I started wiggling things around to check for loose components, and I'd have to say 2/6 caps were freely moving, and could be pulled up on to move around in the solder joint, as the joints had gone cold. More wiggling of components also yielded a slightly loose heatsink that could move a good 3-5mm. There's a couple small boards near the output, those were pretty sturdy and fine.

However, if you look down by where the 12v wires connect, there's an obvious lack of solder on the traces as they're not even filled.

I have to say I'm disappointed with Corsair, in another threat I talked about how I have an RM1000, a much newer PSU, maybe 1 year and a half old, it's filled with Taicon and CapXon caps, and that's a 284$ power supply on Newegg.

Is it just me, or is corsair's quality starting to go down the toilet?

Popcorn.

Re: Really Corsair? A 250$ PSU with bad solder joints?

It's not Corsair's fault, per se. They have to use ROHS solder, and it really is touch and go for these kinds of applications.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      It's not Corsair's fault, per se. They have to use ROHS solder, and it really is touch and go for these kinds of applications.
      Even after all these years, you'd think they'd work the bugs out of this though.
      Also, it looks like a lack of solder rather than the solder's fault, as the PSU isn't that old.
      Popcorn.

Comment

Just a bad quallity control.

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.charlie View Post
          Just a bad quallity control.
          No surprise, it is a CWT build and they aren't exactly known for "quality control".

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
          Is it just me, or is corsair's quality starting to go down the toilet?
          Starting to???? Corsair's PSUs have been mediocre at best for the last several years. Not as terrible as the off-brand junk (even the entry level units), but in most cases no better than dozens of other units at the same price point. Corsair has also been relying heavily on CWT for the lest few years (early Corsair PSUs were primarily Seasonic builds, but that changed years ago) which is known for spotty quality control, and garbage caps on cheaper (and even some not so cheap) PSUs.
          Last edited by dmill89; 03-02-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Corsairs has been overhyped mediocre overpriced stuff for years. What exactly is the surprise here? The old ones were Seasonic but ever since they aren't, they're not really good. I've been favoring some of the newer Seasonic-built XFX power supplies which are a good value.
            Last edited by shovenose; 03-08-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
              No surprise, it is a CWT build and they aren't exactly known for "quality control".
              Sadly, CWT got a bad rep, because of bulging and leaking Fuhjyyu caps in their mid-2000s PSUs...
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-08-2017, 07:39 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                Sadly, CWT got a bad rep, because of bulging and leaking Fuhjyyu caps in their mid-2000s PSUs...
                Yes, though they have other quality control issues as well (I've seen many reviews indicating poor soldering, loose screws, etc.), and they still use junk caps in pretty much all of their entry level units (though so do many other manufactures), and even some of the higher end ones as well.

Comment

Yes, though they have other quality control issues as well (I've seen many reviews indicating poor soldering, loose screws, etc.), and they still use junk caps in pretty much all of their entry level units (though so do many other manufactures), and even some of the higher end ones as well.
                  The only other problem that I had with CWT, was that brown glue!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

No surprise, it is a CWT build and they aren't exactly known for "quality control"
                    It costs more. So not all companys do it.

Comment

CWT don't like to tighten screws either.

Nice unit, reflow the connections and tighten up the screws see how she goes.

Comment

Working...
                      X