Zotac 980ti shorted capacitor in VRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zotac 980ti shorted capacitor in VRM

Its under warranty but they will not service as I bought it used from Ebay.

Zotac does not offer transferable warranties!

Anyways, I ran it at the factory overclock since Sep of 2015.

Was playing some Conan Exiles and pc just died,and I smelled that wonderful smell.

Disconnected all devices from PSU and when I plugged in the 8x pins for GPU bam, short protection kicked in.

It looks like a burnt ceramic cap.

I can replace this myself, but I am worried something else is shorted.

Question is, other than it being crappy quality what would cause it to blow?

Re: Zotac 980ti shorted capacitor in VRM

Well, I replaced the cap with one of the same size and color and it instantly blew on startup (a piece of ember darted out and that lovely smell returned).
    I did notice that the solder they used on the card had a high melting point. Wouldn't budge with my soldering iron and my hot air rework tool almost didn't cut it either.
    I'm done at this point.
    1080 TI or a Vega 10 is in my sights.

Comment

That is because the mosfet above him is probably shorted too and send out a much big voltage and blow's the tiny cap once you apply power

Comment

Remove the cap and make sure the PCB underneath it is not charred or burned to a crisp, because that can cause arcing / partial conduction and still burn parts out.

Make sure to do this under good light. Those black PCBs are terrible to troubleshoot.

Comment

Is sad to see such a nice (and new) card Dead...

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
            Is sad to see such a nice (and new) card Dead...
            It is. But that's how stuff are just built nowadays - if it lasts past the warranty, consider yourself lucky.

I saw a faulty 980ti A few weeks ago at my job as well. It had red artifacts all over the BIOS screen and would crash when Windows 10 loaded the drivers. Perhaps it can be fixed with a reflow, but unfortunately where I work, we don't repair components - we simply replace them with whatever is equivalent. So that card is likely going to the recycling bin (i.e. crusher for metal recovery )
            Last edited by momaka; 04-01-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I have seen 2x 980 ti with burnt gpu chips and every phase for memory and gpu was shorted. I have seen artifacting gtx970 too with red artifacts. Seems quite common for them, crashing when drivers installed seems to be a gpu chip issue.

I have even got one rx480 8gb in my hands with shorted out 12v from pcie connector, the gpu resistances seem very very low for me.

I have got multiple artifacting r9 290 cards due to faulty ram issues.

to repair this gpu the faulty mosfet needs to be isolated and removed from the board and if there are no shorts anymore on the board the gpu can be tested and if it displays image the mosfet should be replaced and it hopefully lasts a long time.

Comment

Working...
              X