Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer S220HQLbd 3522-0252-0150

Hi guys

Basically I think my friend has managed to fry his screen as he was using the wrong power cable to power it (one from a Virgin Media tv box). The mainboard smells a little of burning but I can see no signs of damage. The blue light comes on as per usual and things work as they should but without the backlights. This isn't your usual 2 seconds to black issue, they just don't come on at all but there is still power to the screen itself. I can't seem to find a spec sheet for the main board. I haven't attached a picture of the actual main board as there are no physical signs of damage (I will upload one when I get the chance) You will see from the generic picture I upload with this the general idea of things anyway. I'm not sure if a voltage overload would cause the backlights/inverter to just crap out? Thanks anyway

Demix
    Attached Files

Re: Acer S220HQLbd 3522-0252-0150

After closer inspection and testing I've found the problem is an IC which has had a leg blown out, part number MP3389EF which i've now managed to buy from ebay (china). As i've never soldered a component this delicate/small before...any tips on doing this? I have a bad feeling i'm going to mess this up. My soldering skills aren't bad but the bottom of this board looks so delicate and despite the fine tip I have on my soldering iron it still doesn't seem fine enough. I'm guessing this was machine soldered originally >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Demix View Post
      As i've never soldered a component this delicate/small before...any tips on doing this?
      CuriousInventor makes excellent soldering videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        CuriousInventor makes excellent soldering videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
        Excellent video retiredcaps!

Demix, you'll want to order some ChipQuick for desoldering the chip without lifting any of the pads. I have used it many times with a 100% success rate in desoldering without damaging the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo

Comment

I use an unregulated temperature hot air gun and I protect the surrounding components by using kapton tape.

To install the new IC, I following the procedures as outlined in the video.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Oh yeah, practice on a junk board helps a lot. Remember flux is your friend when soldering these SMD ICs.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
            X