Chimei cmv222H bad caps on power board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimei cmv222H bad caps on power board.

So I've had this Chimei CMV 222H for a while. It doesn't power on at all, as if it has no power. I take it apart, only to find that it has 2 bad caps and a brown spot on the bottom of the power board. Great, right? Well, being a really shaky guy who can't concentrate at all, with absolutely no soldering experience. I have 2 options.

1) Learn to solder noob
    2) Buy a new power board for a whole $30 from the interwebs.

Assuming I go with step 1, i'd not only have to scrounge together more than $30, but I'd also have to learn something (useful?!) and learn how to keep my hands steady. So for these reasons, I want to take the easy way out.

If I pick up a power board (dac-19m015 rev.01A vs. my 00A), i'm not even sure if it'd work. The power boards I can find online are a different revision, but they look pretty identical to me. Anyone familiar with these things?

Where should I start? You guys are going to try to convince me to man up and lay off the caffeine, right?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dnorf87; 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM.

Re: Chimei cmv222H bad caps on power board.

If this is an one time fix and you never plan to fix/solder anything again, buy the power board.

If you want to learn a new skill, see

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I would say if you get a power board get the exact same revision or check with the seller - if the seller says it is ok then get confirmation that you can return it for a refund if it doesnt work.
      That way you will only waste postage.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I can't find the same revision board...nor do I have the patience or funds to start replacing components on the current board.

This seems like almost too much trouble. For a little more money I could pick up a new monitor.

Comment

If you want to be really cheap, for about 10-15$ you can buy a soldering iron, solder wire and the 2-3 capacitors you need.

For a bit more cash, you'd have a good working tool and, a decent starter soldering iron is this, at $15:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009ZD2AG...6RRD0MP1SK2PW&

Solder wire you can also get from Amazon, this would be perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UH3XO0...B7TF32BP9XFCK&

You can get quality capacitors cheaply and solder wire on digikey.com or mouser.com or newark.com ... if you can be bothered and want to try it, we can suggest what capacitors to buy from one of the online stores above, or directly from badcaps.net's online store.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            If this is an one time fix and you never plan to fix/solder anything again, buy the power board.

If you want to learn a new skill, see

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
            I agree. And I think we need to understand that not everybody wants to be the LCD repair dude amongst their friends. Some people just want to have their monitor fixed as cheap as possible.

I'm more of a try new things and challenge myself. But then I love fixing electronics. I even had my first successful Geforce 8600M GS BGA laptop reball recently

dnorf87: I understand shaky hands. I drink 2 pots of coffee a day. The key to successful soldering is to brace the body. I lean up against the bench. And I have both elbows on the bench. That takes away 90% of any shakiness.

But in your case. For 23 bucks. (you can't buy a new 22" monitor for 23 bucks) You can replace that DAC board with this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Unit-D...item3a621e17f9
            Understand that same board will eventually probably fail on the same capacitors within a few years. And you'll have to wait maybe 2 weeks for delivery from China. But I am sure that board will work. That'd be my choice for repair.

mariushm: Now I know where to get my next el cheapo soldering iron. Thanks!

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the chinese seller. I have never been to China. Nor do I speak Chinese. ~L-J-7~

Comment

Can you all see the burn mark on the back of the PCB? I have no idea what component that is on the other side, but it looks kind of important. I'd need a multimeter as well (had one with built in batteries, and the batteries died. YAY for cheap stuff!)

You linked to the 01A revision. I have a 00A. Do you think 01A would really not work? It's by far the most common.

Also: Wouldn't I need flux too?!

Comment

I don't see any burn marks, as much as I try. Maybe open the picture in paint and circle the the area.

If you mean the darkened spot on the bottom right, around three pins ... that's kinda normal, it's the component connected at the top on the metal heatsink, right near the swollen capacitors. It's supposed to be hot while the monitor runs, and that's why quality capacitors are needed, because quality capacitors handle heat better.

Flux, no, you shouldn't need liquid flux for fixing such board, the holes are pretty big so it's easy to desolder and solder stuff, even with cheap irons.
                The solder wire has some solid flux inside which helps with soldering parts, if you get quality flux and not some chinese crap or no name stuff, you'll be fine.

The one I recommended above or the ones on digikey.com or mouser.com or newark.com will work.

Just get solder wire that has lead in it, 60/40 or 63/37, they're much easier to work with, especially with cheap soldering irons. The one I linked to above is 63/37.

Comment

Originally posted by dnorf87 View Post
                  You linked to the 01A revision. I have a 00A. Do you think 01A would really not work? It's by far the most common.
                  I'm very confident the above ebay power supply will work. The number on the barcode sticker (D016712) is what needs to match and it does.

Comment

Working...
                  X