Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do w/ 'Bad' LCD Monitors?

Greetings all,

So I was cleaning out my 'toy' room and I found a couple of LCD monitors that I worked on back when I was first getting into repair. I was wondering what I should do with them. One of them I hacked up pretty good, the others I just don't feel comfortable to sell to someone even if I put "as-is for parts".

Thoughts?

Can I use any of the parts for testing future repairs? Or just garbage all of it and be done?

Re: What to do w/ 'Bad' LCD Monitors?

What I usually do in a situation like this is to put them out by the curb and someone will pick them up - your problem is solved, and someone will be happy - win / win.

I just did the same thing recently - the clutter was getting to be too much. I put a lot of stuff out, and everything was taken within 1 hour. I have more things to put out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
      Can I use any of the parts for testing future repairs?
      1) The ccfl lamps are good for testing future monitors especially 2 seconds to black.

2) On the main board, you can reuse voltage regulators and fuses.

3) On the power board, you can reuse the fuse, bridge rectifier, opto-isolator, power mosfet, the large filter capacitor which rarely, but not never goes bad, and diodes.

4) On the inverter board, you can reuse the fuse and inverter transformer.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I usually fix them.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by plainbill View Post
          i usually fix them.

plainbill
          ^^^^
          qft
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
            I usually fix them.

PlainBill
            Well you're welcome to come fix them for me!

Comment

Ok, this should be added to FAQ - in case it's not already there. Meaning "what parts can be reused from totaled LCD"

Comment

I usually fix them.

PlainBill
                I usually fix them too - unfortunately, there is no way to fix a bad LCD that is not cracked. I have 2 monitors that have failed LCD driver boards - these boards have the welded ribbons from the panel itself. I am holding onto them for parts.

Ritalin - If you can carefully remove the lamps without breaking them, then you should save them for troubleshooting other LCD monitors - as per retiredcaps excellent suggestion.

I made my original suggestion of curbing them because it sounded like you really wanted to get rid of them, but felt that they were too far gone for you to charge anyone for them. 2 weeks ago, I put out 3 excess monitors that worked, but had various defects - they were taken very quickly.

Comment

[QUOTE=crtfool;219920
                  Ritalin - If you can carefully remove the lamps without breaking them, then you should save them for troubleshooting other LCD monitors - as per retiredcaps excellent suggestion.[/QUOTE]

I should be more clear with my statement. I usually leave the entire ccfl in its pre-assembled housing so I never actually touch the ccfls themselves. I end up with something like this

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-8392870...7_2200_2353813
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Good call guys... I threw them up on craigslist and told someone to give me $5 for a Little Ceasar's Pizza and had 10 emails in minutes.

With the CCFL's I was often wondering if I could make a 'test box' that had all the different connections to it. That'd be pretty nice!

Comment

Good call guys... I threw them up on craigslist and told someone to give me $5 for a Little Ceasar's Pizza and had 10 emails in minutes.
                      And tomorrow, we will see newbies posting here asking for help on those very monitors.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

With the CCFL's I was often wondering if I could make a 'test box' that had all the different connections to it. That'd be pretty nice!
                        I would have suggested keeping the CCFLs and power supply / inverter from one of the larger monitors. The CCFLs can be used as substitutes when troubleshooting, the power supply / inverter can be converted to a CCFL tester with the addition of three resistors.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

...the power supply / inverter can be converted to a CCFL tester with the addition of three resistors.

PlainBill
                          Any specifics on the 'net about this? Just tore through an old Fujitsu yesterday, scavenging for the missing connector, and saved 3 U-shaped CCFL's and the power board.

Comment

Originally posted by DMCrimson View Post
                            Any specifics on the 'net about this? Just tore through an old Fujitsu yesterday, scavenging for the missing connector, and saved 3 U-shaped CCFL's and the power board.
                            One of the brighter members here (Th3 Uniqu3?) (not to denigrate the other 11,999 ) described the process about a month ago. First, use a resistor from 5V to the INV_ON pin to turn on the inverter. Second, use a pair of resistors to form a voltage divider to hold the brightness pin at around 2-3 volts. Third - and most important - put it in a well insulated case.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks - need to investigate that further Those CCFL's just might have found some other use

Comment

PlainBill: I'll shoot you with another question here: I do have a CCFL-inverter acquired years ago to drive a blue incase CCFL. It takes 12V in (no problem), could I per any chance use that as CCFL-tester? That would need just proper connector-adapter to use with all them types manufacturers use nowadays...

Comment

This is what I do with the them.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Heh, I see you used a lot of an old monitor there Not a bad idea at all...

Comment

The mounting plate came from inside the LCD panel asembly, they are great for a lot of projects.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                      X