Compaq W17Q no 5v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq W17Q no 5v

When you first attempt to turn this monitor on it does absolutlely nothing. I checked all the fuses and they are all 0.000 so i can rule that out. Next i checked the voltages at the plug coming off the power supply and i'm not getting +5v, i'm only getting .363v. The caps on the power supply are elite ED series. I checked evey capacitor on the power supply and i found 2 that were out of spec as per the datasheet. I did change the 2 with some used spares i have (lower esr). I'm getting 162v at the large cap.

Next i checked the PWM controller (LD7552BPS). I checked btween ground and vcc and i am not getting a shorted ohm reading. I plugged the power supply in and checked pins 3 & 7 (vcc) but my readings are in the 10v to 14v range and not stable.

I then checked the adjustable shunt regulator (AZ431AZ-EA1). Between the anonode and cathode i'm getting .571 & OL in the diode test mode on my multimeter. I plugged the power supply in and i'm getting .362v at the reference pin of the regulator.

I then checked the octocoupler (PC123). I'm sure if i'm doing this right but from the data sheet the one end has an anode and a cathode so in circuit it measures .571 & .795 so i removed it and it reads .997 & OL out if circuit. I think you need to do an led blink procedure to properly test these but i have never tried it. In circuit with the power supply plugged in i'm getting -55v on the primary side and .363v on the secondary side.

So i am unsure if the .363v readings i'm getting at the octocoupler and the shunt regulator would be my no 5v problem or the voltage fluctuations at the pwm controller. I did check the few diodes and resistors on the board and they check out ok. I also checked the Q901 power mosfet and it checks ok. And the 2 Schottky barrier rectifiers check good also.

So at this point i'm somewhat stumped. Sorry for the novel
    Attached Files

Re: Compaq W17Q no 5v

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Sorry for the novel
    1) We have no problems with quantity of information as long as it is quality information which it is.

2) What is the DC voltage across the startup cap C908?

3) Was C908 replaced?

4) Those are excellent photos, but I think we would prefer them cropped just a bit closer so the reading on the pcb is a little bit bigger to read.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

C908 was replaced. Its a 22uf 50 volt cap and i replaced it with a 22uf 50v panasonic FM (new). The voltage i'm getting is between 10 and 14 volts. Just like on the pwm controller.

Do you want/need closer photos of the power board?

Comment

I did check the few diodes and resistors on the board and they check out ok. I also checked the Q901 power mosfet and it checks ok. And the 2 Schottky barrier rectifiers check good also.
        Since you checked all the output diodes and changed the small startup cap that leaves me to guess LD7552BPS is bad even though it is not shorted.

findchips shows no stock

http://www.findchips.com/avail?part=LD7552BPS

so off to ebay. $1.76 from China with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260963602569
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BEFORE you order that chip, disconnect the main board and see if 5V is steady. If it is not steady, then order the LD7552BPS. If it is steady, hold off ordering because the problem could be on the main board.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            BEFORE you order that chip, disconnect the main board and see if 5V is steady. If it is not steady, then order the LD7552BPS. If it is steady, hold off ordering because the problem could be on the main board.
            All my voltage readings were done with the mainboard disconnected. I was worried it would be the pwm controller. I hate soldering smd components.

Btw can you post a link to a youtube video on the smd soldering. I have the chip qwick kit but all the videos i have seen remove the chip but not putting it back on the board. I think you have posted the links before but i can't locate them at the moment (eyes aren't cooperating with brain )

Thanks

Comment

Btw can you post a link to a youtube video on the smd soldering.
              CuriousInventor makes excellent soldering videos (9 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY

Dave Jones at eevblog has a 3 part solder video, but the SMD stuff is in part 3 (for 8 pin SMD, see about 9:10 into video)

http://www.eevblog.com/2011/07/18/ee...surface-mount/
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you don't have a lot of experience with smd soldering, you might want to get 2 chips from China.

I haven't done any smd stuff yet. I will probably be getting a soldering station in the next 30 days or so. I have one monitor that requires removing a 8 pin smd IC.

I don't have any ChipQuik. I may try prying the legs off with a screwdriver after heating the leg. Of course, I will practice on junk boards first.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  If you don't have a lot of experience with smd soldering, you might want to get 2 chips from China.

I haven't done any smd stuff yet. I will probably be getting a soldering station in the next 30 days or so. I have one monitor that requires removing a 8 pin smd IC.
                  I'll order 2...I should get the chips about the same time you get your solder station

Comment

Working...
                  X