Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About test equipment that i needed

good day everyone

I just confused when googling, realize and find out there is many test equipment that used in electronic field.. transistor tester, mosfet tester, function generator, VOM, ESR meter, oscilloscope whatever.. there are many equipment !! when we are in the CRT TV field repairment, we need an HV probe i guess, so is there a problem when learn electronics or when trying to figuring out the conditions in the circuits with a "minimize" test equipment? minimize that I means is we using these test equipment just because we are need it.
    "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
    Rudi
    Thank You

Re: About test equipment that i needed

Tools and training goes together.

The most stupid phrase that I do read in forums is : I need one Oscilloscope because I plan to repair TV sets.

The correct descriptions are:
    1) I need one good Oscilloscope so to explore the planet of waveforms.
    2) I need one good LCR so to explore the planet of capacitors , coils , resistors.
    3) I need one truly good multimeter so to be fast and accurate because everything I touch this days are fast pulses coming from a pulsing power supply.

Bottom line, are you trying to repair technology which is invented in 2000 and after ? You do need the most fresh and high quality tools of our times.

And If you are not aware of what they do ... they come with instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
      Tools and training goes together.

The most stupid phrase that I do read in forums is : I need one Oscilloscope because I plan to repair TV sets.

The correct descriptions are:
      1) I need one good Oscilloscope so to explore the planet of waveforms.
      2) I need one good LCR so to explore the planet of capacitors , coils , resistors.
      3) I need one truly good multimeter so to be fast and accurate because everything I touch this days are fast pulses coming from a pulsing power supply.

Bottom line, are you trying to repair technology which is invented in 2000 and after ? You do need the most fresh and high quality tools of our times.

And If you are not aware of what they do ... they come with instructions.
      very good about your 3 descriptions. so i guess that's not a big problem when we just buy a test equipment that we need it, not we want it. the oscilloscope and dmm/vom the first needed tools that i thought for everyone's. the others depends on what field we are in.

Best Regards
      Rudi
      Thank You

Comment

Just name one field that does not have a pulsing power supply behind it.

Comment

For years when repairing electronic equipment, I used only a fluke meter. Hardly ever did I use the companies oscilloscope or ESR meter. I actually feel the same as today about that, as I did then. But to get a true repair diagnosis, all those items that you listed is required. I would really want to think that soon all electronics will come with their own diagnostic circuits built-in, and in some cases its already here. However I do find myself wanting something more than needing something.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmysTGP View Post
            electronics will come with their own diagnostic circuits built-in
            Most devices in the industry and even down to the humble photo copier, they do come loaded with basic self test, even so they are incapable to point to you the failed part.

The most common problem in our times is that most people they seek their survival by accepting for repair one extremely expanded product range.
            Which they consider them self's as capable to repair it too.

Well, if you have in your head such a planing, you need one truck load of true diagnostic tools too.
            Or else you are a fooling your self and your customers.

Comment

I've done just fine with a multimeter before. My scope definitely adds a bit more. The ESR meter will confirm my diagnosis of capacitor failure in some cases. Next on my list is a ring tester or an LCR meter. But I wouldn't anticipate any more than those being necessary - 95% of TV and audio equipment can be repaired with just a multimeter.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well, if you have in your head such a planing, you need one truck load of true diagnostic tools too.
                Or else you are a fooling your self and your customers.
                Very true: If a tech can fix my car with one tool versus 20, than to me he's a better tech, however if that same tech has to return for something missed because of not making a correct diagnosis due to not having the correct test equipment, then he or she should not be repairing.

Comment

I guess you need the right tool for the right job. In electronics you can do most checks with a dmm. ESR meters and transistor/mosfet . ring testers are not necessary but make the job faster and easier with more accurate readings...

Comment

Very true: If a tech can fix my car with one tool versus 20, than to me he's a better tech, however if that same tech has to return for something missed because of not making a correct diagnosis due to not having the correct test equipment, then he or she should not be repairing.
                    Conversely, having more equipment doesn't make a better tech. Just indicates business is good.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I am glad that we all agree up to some point.
                      What is also a source of evil is the half working old tools.

If you can not have a measurement that you can trust they are useless.
                      My solution to that was about spending a small price premium and getting a used top ranked and fresh multimeter, which become the reliable comparison point so to verify that my older tools are still in specification.

This is a much cheaper approach than sending over stuff for calibration especially when you are just a freelancer with limited budget.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Conversely, having more equipment doesn't make a better tech. Just indicates business is good.
                        Yes my Hitachi an 20 years old power drill even today it just drill one hole.
                        But it does that because I payed a high price premium back then.

And do I need to say that I have four power drills, base type, cornered drill head, hammer drill (hitachi), rechargeable one when working with out mains.

All those power drills cost the sum of an Agilent X3000 and they are just drills.
                        Can I make my living just by opening holes? Nop

Comment

For years when repairing electronic equipment, I used only a fluke meter. Hardly ever did I use the companies oscilloscope or ESR meter. I actually feel the same as today about that, as I did then. But to get a true repair diagnosis, all those items that you listed is required. I would really want to think that soon all electronics will come with their own diagnostic circuits built-in, and in some cases its already here. However I do find myself wanting something more than needing something.
                          same as you. sometimes i do find myself wanting the one test equipment than needed it.

I've done just fine with a multimeter before. My scope definitely adds a bit more. The ESR meter will confirm my diagnosis of capacitor failure in some cases. Next on my list is a ring tester or an LCR meter. But I wouldn't anticipate any more than those being necessary - 95% of TV and audio equipment can be repaired with just a multimeter.
                          hmm.. i have to learn it from you sometimes i think that i need a much more equipment to repair a things, just because i don't have good experience about repairing. btw i have ever read a ring tester that we can built it myself, i have tested it but it looks stupid just because i don't know how to using it properly. i have tested it with fluorescent lamp inductor and it has good result where led lit, but i don't know how to check secondary of smps transformer properly

Originally posted by g3org3 View Post
                          I guess you need the right tool for the right job. In electronics you can do most checks with a dmm. ESR meters and transistor/mosfet . ring testers are not necessary but make the job faster and easier with more accurate readings...
                          it sounds true, but sometimes we can maximize our test equipment performance because we "know" how to using it properly just like tom66 said.

If you can not have a measurement that you can trust they are useless.
                          My solution to that was about spending a small price premium and getting a used top ranked and fresh multimeter, which become the reliable comparison point so to verify that my older tools are still in specification.

This is a much cheaper approach than sending over stuff for calibration especially when you are just a freelancer with limited budget.
                          another good opinions

Best Regards
                          Rudi
                          Thank You

Comment

Working...
                          X