viewsonic vx2255wmb wont turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

viewsonic vx2255wmb wont turn on

I am having problems figuring out what is wrong with my monitor. It will not turn on and the light does not come on. I checked caps and the fuse and they are all good. I checked the rectifier block and it converts to DC like it should. Is there any tests I can perform to figure out what is wrong?

Re: viewsonic vx2255wmb wont turn on

Originally posted by csabin View Post
    Is there any tests I can perform to figure out what is wrong?
    1) Post clear focused pictures of your boards following the instructions in my sig file below with the following picture composition

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

2) Is there a legend by one of the connectors that show 5V standby? If yes, do you measure 5V DC?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am an electrical engineering student, however, I'm not a professional. I did not see any labels for standby voltage on the main board but I did get 5-5.3V on the output to what I believe is the board that contains the VGA and DVI inputs. I haven't connected power to that board yet but I will probably test that board in a while. I replaced the caps (rookie mistake since I knew that the caps were good to begin with). I also made another rookie mistake by calling Viewsonic's tech support. I have attached the pictures you requested. Let me know if you need any more information and I will be happy to gather what I can.
      Attached Files

Comment

I did not see any labels for standby voltage on the main board but I did get 5-5.3V on the output to what I believe is the board that contains the VGA and DVI inputs.
        If you are seeing 5V DC on the connector to the main/logic board, then that implies that the SMPS is working.

I have attached the pictures you requested.
        We need pictures of the main/logic board. If you save it in JPG, the resulting picture is much smaller size and faster for us to download (especially with usage based billing). Also try to get as close to 2000x2000 so we can read the pcb designations.

If the power LED is not coming on, the next components to test are the voltage regulators on the main/logic board.

PS. Recapping the board with Panasonic and Rubycon is not a mistake especially if the original caps were Capxon or some other suspect quality brand. Your monitor will last longer if this problem is repairable.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I was having troubles with converting my pictures but i think its good now. Where is the regulator located on the main board and what output voltage should I expect? From my minimal experience I believe a voltage regulator circuit involves transistors and I see three of the larger ones and two smaller ones. I believe the larger type attached to the heat sinks are more likely to be part of the regulator circuit. I hope the pictures help. thanks for your help.
          Attached Files

Comment

When you say the light will not come on which light is that?
            I am sure retiredcaps will need pictures of the logic board that’s the one with VGA DVI connections.
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Where is the regulator located on the main board and what output voltage should I expect?
              The picture you posted is the power/inverter board. The main/logic board is where your DVI/VGA plug into. We want to see that picture.

A voltage regulator will have a part number like AS1117-33 where the suffix (-33) denotes the output voltage (3.3 V DC).

If you look at my picture

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

you will see that U10, U12, U13, and U8 are voltage regulators. We want the DC V measurements of all 3 pins with respect to ground (use a ground screw on the logic board). So report it like

U8 - part # AS1117-33 - pin 1 = 0V, pin 2 = 5 V, pin 3 = 3.3 V

This reference designator will also help determine if it is a voltage regulator, mosfet, diode, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...e_designations
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-19-2011, 07:43 PM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
              X