Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips Brilliance 200P

Hi folks,

I'm having a problem with a Philips 200P Monitor.... think it might be the caps on the Power Supply board.
    The unit powers up ok but after a few minutes there's a click and the screen dies and goes black...the power LED turns
    purple....it's normally blue when working correctly.
    What you guys think?

Thanks
    Hotso

Re: Philips Brilliance 200P

Originally posted by Hotso View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm having a problem with a Philips 200P Monitor.... think it might be the caps on the Power Supply board.
    The unit powers up ok but after a few minutes there's a click and the screen dies and goes black...the power LED turns
    purple....it's normally blue when working correctly.
    What you guys think?

Thanks
    Hotso
    The symptoms sound more like an intermittent connection (bad solder joint?) or a thermal problem. Note the links in my signature. Open the monitor up, take a picture of the power supply and attach it to your next post using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area. For best results the picture must be well lit and sharply focused,

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks Plain Bill,

Here is a pic of the beastie!!
      I can't detect any bulging, burning etc...all looks clean and tidy!

Hotso
      Attached Files

Comment

Doubt if it's thermal as it happens almost immediately from cold.....maybe a solder joint! If so, which one....there's a loud click when it fails!
        Hotso

Comment

Doubt if it's thermal as it happens almost immediately from cold.....maybe a solder joint! If so, which one....there's a loud click when it fails!
          Hotso
          There is a 10 pin connector in the lower left hand corner of the board. Using the mounting screw that goes into the hole in the upper right corner, measure all the voltages on the 10 pins while the monitor is working, and again when if fails.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill,

Here's a good or bad scenario depending on your point of view...I'm waiting for the monitor to fail again and it just wont!! It's been turned on for two days now and nothing....seems to be working fine!! How strange is that?
            Hotso

Comment

PlainBill,

Here's a good or bad scenario depending on your point of view...I'm waiting for the monitor to fail again and it just wont!! It's been turned on for two days now and nothing....seems to be working fine!! How strange is that?
              Hotso
              Try putting the rear cover back on. If it fails with the cover on (due to heat buildup), then it confirms PlainBill's suggestion that it might be a thermal problem.

Comment

PlainBill,

Hotso
                That is the electronics equivalent of 'A watched pot never boils', and the car owner's 'The constant, annoying rattle goes away when you take the car to a mechanic and returns after you leave'.

The Farrell corollary is 'Problems that go away by themselves come back by themselves.'

PlainBill

Comment

Rear cover back on and still no sign of failing....even the slight dimming of the power LED before failing seems to be missing! I'm sure it's only a matter of time and I'll be back here seeking your help. Meanwhile, can I thank you again for your advice and postings and look forward to reading the many other posts that pique my interest.
                  Hotso

Comment

I'm Back.....It finally failed again but strangely, if I tap the monitor anywhere it comes back on before failing again...argh...annoying! So, it looks more and more like a joint somewhere is acting up....any ideas folks?

Comment

I'm Back.....It finally failed again but strangely, if I tap the monitor anywhere it comes back on before failing again...argh...annoying! So, it looks more and more like a joint somewhere is acting up....any ideas folks?
                      Definitely a bad solder joint. Try tapping very gently to see if you can locate a sensitive area.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                      X