Toshiba L500D-What is this connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba L500D-What is this connector?

This motherboard was bought in error and requires modifications to suit the case for my model Toshiba L500D. I bought LA-5332P/K000085590 and I should have bought K000072650 which is also an LA-5332P and both boards are for an L500D. I ordered by the LA-5332P number and that's where I made my mistake in the purchase.

There are 2 things that require mod -
    1. The battery terminal has to be moved (there are existing solder mounts for the alternative position).
    2. There isn't any connector for the optical drive (but there are solder points for it).

Instead of an ODD there is a ZIF connector topside of where the ODD connector would go. I don't know what it would be for. This is the area where the ODD slots into the MB.

I have moved the battery terminal but I don't want to go de-soldering this other connector until I know what it's purpose is.

Does anybody know what it is for?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sparker1; 06-13-2015, 09:55 PM.

Re: Toshiba L500D-What is this connector?

looks like it may be for some type of tray or caddy.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      looks like it may be for some type of tray or caddy.
      I can't think of what else would go where the ODD normally is. The connector is the same size and type as a USB board that is already on the MB. I am beginning to think this particular board is for a notebook without an ODD but with more USB ports.

Comment

Ahhhh... I see it now. There is another card that it connects to via a ZIF that has the ODD connector. You can see it here at 3:43 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMsSjLK60o
        Because I have a slightly different laptop I don't have that connector with my old board.

Comment

Working...
        X