Inverter Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inverter Boards

Is it just my imagination or are these boards really hard to replace caps on. I find that the individual leads are hard to desolder and once you have removed as much solder as possible the leads are hard to remove from the board. To me it feels like the leads are to large for the holes. Has anyone got suggestions as to how to remove these components. I am not talking about the SMT components just the regular electrolytic caps.
    Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Re: Inverter Boards

usually the caps are quite small,and I usually un-solder both leads at once, by putting the iron tip on both together,then pull out the cap,and the holes are then cleaned using sucker/dsolder braid/pushing a needle through to clear them, when the solder is melted, or any other method you want to try.

Comment

Re: Inverter Boards

Some of the smaller caps have their leads formed into a zigzag pattern which locks them onto the board prior to the soldering process. This make them a PITA to remove. Since lead free solder is used, it has a higher melting point. For the straight lead caps, you can try melting some 60/40 solder onto the solder pad to lower the melting point. Or, you can use a 40W soldering iron to give you a bit more heat. As you heat the solder, rock the cap to one side. Heat the other side and rock the cap in the opposite direction. Perfom the heating and rocking process several times to free the cap from the board. Clean the excess solder with solder wick.

Comment

Working...
      X