HP LP1965 shorted 5v on display board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP LP1965 shorted 5v on display board

I had the green LED flashing when on. Found the 5v line shorted to 1.4 ohms. When I unhook the ribbon cable, I have 5v on it. 1.4 ohms to ground on the display board. I lift the component B5 and I get my 5 volts on the board. have no idea what B5 is. I'm in the process of searching the web for the board M190EG01 V0. Anybody know what B5 is?

Re: HP LP1965 shorted 5v on display board

Some clear focused pictures of the board will help.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

OK. Here is the portion of the board showing the component B5 that I lifted to remove what appears to be a short on the 5 volt line.
      Attached Files

Comment

Judging by the color it appears to be an inductor. It's puzzling though - there's no reason to put an inductor across a DC voltage rail, there's likely something downstream of it that is shorted, the inductor simply passes thru power to that area. I see a fuse there labeled F5. Is that fuse good? Also check the two voltage regulators.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah, the fuse is good. An inductor would be labeled with L and not B wouldn't you think. I measured across B5 and get a short. It appears that there is something on down the line loading the 5 volts. The regulators seem to be OK showing only the one leg tied to the 5 volt line at 1.5 ohms to ground. I hate surface mount stuff with no ID as to what value they are let along what they are. And it's a bitch lifting them out of the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by tonymich View Post
            Yeah, the fuse is good. An inductor would be labeled with L and not B wouldn't you think. I measured across B5 and get a short. It appears that there is something on down the line loading the 5 volts. The regulators seem to be OK showing only the one leg tied to the 5 volt line at 1.5 ohms to ground. I hate surface mount stuff with no ID as to what value they are let along what they are. And it's a bitch lifting them out of the circuit.
            "B" can mean bead, as in ferrite bead. The colour also matches the common grey seen on a SMD ferrite bead. The ferrite bead essentially attenuates high frequency noise, and cannot short out anything, because it is always in series with a load. I would check to see if the short appears on both sides of B5.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes, the short appears on both sides of B5. I've been trying to lift things to see if the short goes away. Very hard to do. Can't seem to find a device that will cause the short.

Comment

I guess it's not actually a short since there is 1.5 ohms. I guess it's more of a load that shouldn't be there maybe. I'm wishing for a schematic.

Comment

I guess it's not actually a short since there is 1.5 ohms. I guess it's more of a load that shouldn't be there maybe. I'm wishing for a schematic.
                  Many semiconductors don't fail dead short, but do fail "shorted". 1.5 ohms is typical. I've seen a power MOSFET fail at 20 ohms. Doesn't sound like much (only 250mA @ 5V), but on the primary side of a power supply with a 330V bus, that makes a sizeable explosion (Not pretty!!)

1.5 ohms sounds abnormal. It's possible there's a load drawing a lot of current, but I wouldn't expect that at the low voltage used by a multimeter (about 0.3V.)
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes, the short appears on both sides of B5. I've been trying to lift things to see if the short goes away. Very hard to do. Can't seem to find a device that will cause the short.
                    If memory serves me correctly, there have been some cases of a shorted SMD cap on the panel board.
                    Have you checked any of these?
                    You still may have to lift it off the board if there is a resistor parallel in the circuit.
                    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Yeah, I have had some SMD's short on me in the past. I've had schematics in those cases and was easy to trace stuff out. I'll play around with it for another day lifting a few things but if I don't find something soon, to the recycle bin it goes so I can cut my costs. If I find a shorted cap, I'm not going to know what value it was anyway. Don't really need to waste too much time on a $200 LCD monitor.

Comment

Yeah, I have had some SMD's short on me in the past. I've had schematics in those cases and was easy to trace stuff out. I'll play around with it for another day lifting a few things but if I don't find something soon, to the recycle bin it goes so I can cut my costs. If I find a shorted cap, I'm not going to know what value it was anyway. Don't really need to waste too much time on a $200 LCD monitor.
                        Well I would hope if you decide to recycle the monitor you save some of the parts
                        CCFLs come in handy for testing, A lot of the mains fuses are of the same spec, Power MOSFETS and Dual diodes are nice to have around.You just never know what you may need.
                        If you plan to repair another monitor in the future some of these things come in handy
                        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

There are a several techniques you can use to identify the short. The first MIGHT not work. Work your way along the 5V rail, checking the resistance. You MIGHT be able to see the resistance decrease as you approach the short. The limitation is the accuracy of your DMM at low ranges - typically that aren't very good.

The second is simpler. Set you DMM to the lowest voltage range possible, hold the red probe at the +5V input, and work your way down the 5V rail with the black probe, looking for increasing voltage drops. At the point where the voltage no longer increases, you have located the shorted component.

The third requires extra equipment. Hook a high current 5V supply to the 5V rail. CAREFULLY probe for a hot spot. A 1.5 ohm load on a 5V supply will pass 3A, for a total dissipation of 15 watts!! If it is a shorted SMD cap, you won't have to look to hard, it'll desolder itself!

The high current supply doesn't have to be too expensive - 3 D cells in series will do it. Just observe polarity.

PlainBill
                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for all the input and some good troubleshooting ideas. I usually salvage what I can since we have multiple monitors of the same type around here. I'll play around with it a bit and then move on if need be.

Comment

Working...
                            X