LG 1710 sometimes won't power up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 1710 sometimes won't power up

The company I work for purchased about 40 LG 1710s back in 2005 or so.
    Most of them are still in service. I recycled 2 or 3 (before I got back into repairing things) and I have repaired maybe 2, usually bloated Samxon GFs
    . I've been wondering lately what state the caps are in in the ones that are still in service. Most are plugged in 24/7 and many are powered on that much.

Got one last week that has intermittent power up issues. Took it apart at work and the Samxon GFs are all visibly flat as pancakes.

Brought the power/inverter board home and recapped it, and for fun measured the GFs I pulled out. Most were a tad low in uf and just a bit high in ESR. a 1000 @ 16 would be about 800 uf and .6 ESR.

One 680@25 was quite bad. 19uf and 61ohms ESR. Looks fine physically.
    Will take it back and re-assemble tomorrow.

P.S. Please excuse the crappy cellphone photos. I hardly ever use my phone as a camera.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smason; 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: LG 1710 sometimes won't power up

yup I have recapped psu's and the capacitor is flat no visible sign of damage.

Hope your company's screen works now? or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Amraks View Post
      yup I have recapped psu's and the capacitor is flat no visible sign of damage.

Hope your company's screen works now? or am I missing something?
      I'll know tomorrow. I didn't bring the whole monitor home (no room, my basement looks like a monitor repair shop)

One thing really interesting compared to more modern monitors, this thing screws together. The back is held on by 4 screws. No silly clips, take out the screws, off comes the back. Once inside, the metal cage is held on to the panel
      frame by 4 screws. Not tape, or the grace of $deity like some monitors
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

nice I hate them silly clips they are useless things.

sometimes these are damaged from people who try to open them.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
          P.S. Please excuse the crappy cellphone photos.
          Actually those are pretty decent pictures. Much better than 75% of the out of focus crap people expect us to use for troubleshooting.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            Actually those are pretty decent pictures. Much better than 75% of the out of focus crap people expect us to use for troubleshooting.
            Lets hope one day cell phones with 16 megapixles will be affordable.

Comment

Put it back together, seems fine so far.

Messed up the thread title, Model is a 1710S

Comment

Originally posted by Amraks View Post
                Lets hope one day cell phones with 16 megapixles will be affordable.
                Megapixels has nothing to do with it. It is all about getting enough light, enabling macro mode and most importantly checking the pictures for focus before uploading here.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  Megapixels has nothing to do with it. It is all about getting enough light, enabling macro mode and most importantly checking the pictures for focus before uploading here.
                  Ding!!! We have a winner!

On cheap cameras more megapixels = crappier image quality, tiny photosites on the sensor gathering very little light, and tons of processing to reduce the noise blurring any detail....
                  And on cellphones? The tiny little lens let's in jack squat for light. There's a reason 3 of my favourite lenses in my bag have 77mm lens caps, and the smallest is 58mm. Oh don't get me started...

And really what the hell are you going to do with all those pixels? Print a billboard?

The biggest photo you'll see posted here will be 4 megapixels, and that'll keep you scrolling around a while.

Comment

Working...
                  X