X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2407WFP - No display

Hi all,

Nice forum!,

I'm Dale from Wales UK, electronics/programming is a hobby of mine and my monitor has broken today!

It's a DELL 2407WFP with no display, buttons work correctly and backlight firing up.

Found fuse F1 open on T-Con board 240M2C4LV2.4

Replaced fuse and just get coloured vertical lines, so something else is wrong with the T-Con board or caused board to go, have a stable +5v at board so not PSU.

Does anyone have this board for sale or know what part has failed, or hints on what I can check.

Re: Dell 2407WFP - No display

Remove clean and reseat the cables between the main board and tcon and if its separate
    between Tcon and panel - hopefully you have not damaged the panel getting it out of the case. What volatge do you get on each side of the Tcon fuse. Any voltage test points on the tcon
    Pictures might help us help you

(max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply,

I haven't removed the panel, just carefully removed the ribbon connector and LVDS cable, cleaned both connectors. With the fuse in place I get +5v. I will take a photo shortly, but my only camera is an iphone so will do my best
      Last edited by TheBay; 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Is that vertical coloured lines on a white screen? A lot of lines or a few and do they change places. Next time its powered up wiggle the cables and see if anything changes.
        Another thing to try is gently heating the big genesis chip with a hair dryer and watch to see if the lines move.
        As the buttons work does the onscreen menu come on?
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Cheers for the quick reply again.

Covered in multiple coloured vertical lines, no movement, no OSD, no change if wires wiggled.

Will try some heat on that genesis IC but I don't think it's mainboard related.
          Something must have gone to take F1 out on the TCON. I suspect LD1117 but don't know what versions they are, hope the WiseView IC isn't blown , also all caps SMD so no idea of values.

Pic's coming up shortly.
          Last edited by TheBay; 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

No other numbers on the 1117 - perhaps on another line -18? -33? -25?.

They sometimes just blow on a tcon - high temp - they just give up with a slight overload.

Comment

Only other identifier is C617, but ST don't list this?

Pictures...
              Attached Files

Comment

Checked both of the 1117's out of the board, both check ok!, even swapped them over, In situ I get +3.5v in and 1.25v out on the one, so that's working, but there is no power going in to the other one so need to trace back to see why that's happening. Also the there is a LD33 with +5v in and +5v out.

Got 3.5+ to the other 1117 now, the ground track had blown so repaired it, output on 1117 is showing 0v, lifted the leg and it now gives an output so something on the board is pulling it to ground. Have tried the board without the LCD panel plugged in and it's still the same so at least I think the panel is OK.

Comment

Now all 1117's are working, I have disconnected LVDS and just run a +3.5 to the TCON and still shows vertical lines.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by TheBay; 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Are you sure there is nothing on the LDOs other than 1117
                    Cant see resistors on them all so cant all be adjustables when you test you should have black lead on ground and test each leg Middle leg is usually same as the tab. and quote all the results.

On the flat ribbon connector is there a clip that folds flat - it looks upright in the
                    picture - if you leave it like that when testing it could result in the pic you have.

Comment

No that was unplugged while testing as I didn't want to damage the LCD.

I have found the fault, I have removed the LCD from it's frame and found this... Any idea what components they are and why have they blown?, is it fixable?.

*Edit* the stick on conductive foam appears to have been stuck on wrong in the factory and was shorting out against this component, it's just labled (CB6) so it's a capacitor but no idea of value...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by TheBay; 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM.

Comment

When I said earlier hopefully you have not damaged the panel getting it out of the case this is the sort of damage I meant. At least I think it is damage to the tab bonding, but usually its just the bonding of the ribbon to the panel.

Not sure about finding parts - clean it all up with some isopropyl alcohol and see if there are any markings. -Is there a similar cluster of parts further up the board that you could copy.

Comment

The whole ribbon is burnt, I swapped caps with ones further up the ribbon and the fault remains, I think both the LCD and TCON board is faulty so I'll break the monitor and sell the inverter, PSU and other parts.

Comment

Sounds about right - even the panel might sell as bulbs that size are quite expensive or if
                            you are to continue fixing as a hobby a good one to keep as tester bulbs.
                            Tcon may be ok the burnt panel probably blew the fuse.

Comment

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Working...
                              X