Samsung PS43D450 wont turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PS43D450 wont turn on

Hi, this plasma TV flashes the front red LED 6 times at plug-in and then nothing (it does not repeat) however the LED does flicker in response to the remote but the set never powers up, no sound or picture. The relay clicks in on the first flash and on the second flash the screen briefly flashes random white lines.

The green LED on the control board flashes 5 seconds on & 2 off and repeats which seems to indicate X or Y-main failure (or both) from what I have read in other threads but the symptom is exactly the same if I disconnect X-main or both (except the screen does not flash). Shouldn't the unit power up with sound but no picture?

VA,VS & Vscan are all spot on (58,207,-185 as marked on panel) as screen flashes but then quickly drift down to <1v as control board sets VS_ON back to 0v

I have removed both X-main and Y-main to check and there are no shorts on either (VA to GND, VS to GND or any FETs, SMD or through -hole)

If I disconnect main board and short PS_ON to ground and jump pin 3&4 on control board for test pattern, no result, just 5-2 flash on control board as before.

If only the main board is connected, it still flashes the front red LED 6 times.

If I got sound but no picture with X & Y-main disconnected I would look at replacing them but should I be considering the control board first?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Re: Samsung PS43D450 wont turn on

Are there any cracks on the panel at all?
    They can be very small. Any crack will stop the TV working.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom. I have bought the TV locally for £10 hoping to repair so no big loss if I can't. There are no cracks on the panel. TBH, the previous owner says it has only been used about 10 times and 1 day it just wouldn't turn on. I believe that to be true as this set is in immaculate condition, it is "as new", not even a scratch on the plastic surround or speck of dust inside. The panel could still be bad but there is no physical indication of any damage. It does also briefly light up with noisy white lines the full width of the screen at the top shrinking towards the middle as it goes down the screen.

What puzzles me is reading this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31959 - others say that their main boards function as normal with X & Y boards disconnected. Although the front LED does flicker in response to the remote, there are no other usual signs of life - no start up sound (could have been disabled) - can't turn TV off with power button on remote - can't hear anything through speakers. I have tested all the regulators on the main board (6 ithink) and all have input & output voltages that seem correct to me, 1.8,2.5,3.3,5,9 & 12v.

As they are cheap, I have ordered another control board to test. Just trying to decide whether to order main board now as well or wait as I don't really want to spend extra money if it does turn out to be X and/or Y boards...

Thanks for your help. I will update this thread when I have new board(s).

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Update: received control board but unfortunately it didn't work at all (no led, nothing). Great service though as it was refunded immediately.

With original control board back in I get the 5sec on - 2sec off again but as it was silent today I could hear a noticeable buzz from the Y-main at the same time the screen flickered before the control board shut the HV side down. I powered up the TV with the Y-buffer disconnected and there was a pop and now the Y-main is shorted (test points, several FETs and diodes)... X-main still "seems" OK (no shorts). Anyway, tested buffer (that wasn't connected when Y-main blew) and there are shorts between the 2 red markers on the picture below, all <10ohms, so it seems buffer was already dead... Wish i'd checked this before...

Whether I killed the Y-main by powering it up without it's buffer board (although i'm certain I had already tried that the other week) or it had already been damaged by the fault on the buffer board, I don't know. but I have ordered both and hopefully that will solve the problem.
        Attached Files

Comment

Before you fit the replacement boards--Check Them for shorts first, particularly the IGBT's and FETS of Y-SUS and All the buffer-chips.

Most TV parts suppliers Do Not Test in any way shape or form--Even though they Claim they do....

Gotta larf at those that say--Came from a working TV. WHO in their right-mind strips down a perfectly working TV to sell bits with all the trouble of shipping and storage etc, These guys IMHO are Liars plain and simple and I never buy off any seller that claims this....
          TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
          http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
          PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
            Gotta larf at those that say--Came from a working TV. WHO in their right-mind strips down a perfectly working TV to sell bits with all the trouble of shipping and storage etc, These guys IMHO are Liars plain and simple and I never buy off any seller that claims this....
            I've stripped several working TVs for parts. Why sell a TV for $150 when you can get twice that in parts and not have to deal with people on Craigslist?

Comment

Put me down as a liar as well, as most sets I repair end up being parted out.There is just no money selling S/hand sets anymore when you can buy new for no money. I pickup sets from customers homes do estimates for repairs , but much of the time they do not want to pay the repair cost ,so I end up with the set, I then repair it and part it out tested and working.Please do not tar everyone with the same brush Flocko

Comment

Originally posted by flocko View Post
                Put me down as a liar as well, as most sets I repair end up being parted out.There is just no money selling S/hand sets anymore when you can buy new for no money. I pickup sets from customers homes do estimates for repairs , but much of the time they do not want to pay the repair cost ,so I end up with the set, I then repair it and part it out tested and working.Please do not tar everyone with the same brush Flocko
                I disagree, I sell at least 1 S/H refurbished Tv a week lol around where I live the market is huge for S/H Tv's atm lol
                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

we are not saying that they would not sell ? its what you get for them,take a Samsung PS50Qxx I would be really lucky to see £100-125.00 for that, but part it out Y Sus ,Y buffers ,X Sus, control board, main, Stand,PDP, power board alone refurbished I get £75 .. You do the maths ? My costs to pickup and repair this type of set would start at around £100 even if it had a blown fuse.

Comment

I normally get £100-125 profit on them Q97's etc all of them ive sold have been at £200. It depends on the Tv. I sold a 51" Samsung 3d Plasma with a faulty line on the screen for £130 the other week. I normally never pay up to £100 on a Tv if it does come to that I will just keep it as side for a while.
                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

regarding selling good used tested boards what percentage do you get returned via ebay? as a lot of people dont know how to diagnose a set and use our boards to do that and then return them well thats what i find anyway.

Comment

You are lucky, you would not sell them down south, sorry but no one would to pay anything like that much for a six -seven year old S/hand set let alone one with a defect.but there are lots of buyers for parts.At the moment I have three Panasonic TX-P42UT30 all up and running with stands /remotes, that are sat in my workshop. I sold one just before Christmas for £150 three that are left no takers ?But my SN boards for these sets are selling about one a week. Asda have a 60" vestal LED set in store for under £300 need I say more

Comment

I do get people telling me non of my Tvs wont sell for that price just because they want them cheaper, I fob them off. If you wait long enough they sell for what you want.

Comment

I have found less then 2% on sale returns. I use void tape over sockets on X/Y and buffer boards and tell the buyer to check the boards for shorts before removing void tape and fitting. as i know my boards are tested and good, This stops the returns if they short the board by fitting with other defective boards they have missed ( Y Sus taken out by bad buffers and the like) as for diagnoses of faults , there is only the one thing to blame, that is you-tube every one is now an expert, they go on there and watch a video and then they are TV repair men. when the replacement board you just sent them does not fix there set ,its has to be because your board is no good. I now ask for a engineers report on headed note paper as to the problem with the set and how it was diagnosed to be a fault with this board , and the problem with the board i sent Flocko

Comment

I have found less then 2% on sale returns. I use void tape over sockets on X/Y and buffer boards and tell the buyer to check the boards for shorts before removing void tape and fitting. as i know my boards are tested and good, This stops the returns if they short the board by fitting with other defective boards they have missed ( Y Sus taken out by bad buffers and the like) as for diagnoses of faults , there is only the one thing to blame, that is you-tube every one is now an expert, they go on there and watch a video and then they are TV repair men. when the replacement board you just sent them does not fix there set ,its has to be because your board is no good. I now ask for a engineers report on headed note paper as to the problem with the set and how it was diagnosed to be a fault with this board , and the problem with the board i sent Flocko
                              Thats a good percentage i was expecting more as yes as you say people do go of you tube videos etc admitidly some videos are great and are spot on with repairs i have used a fair few myself as im still learning how to repair tvs etc. A lot of people though i guess dont even know how to check for shorts etc so asking for a engineers report is a very good idea.I also guess it depends on what area you live in regarding selling tvs i know tom66 mention he had luck with selling tv to students etc so each area varies fair play to everyone selling either a working tv or a parted out tv its all profit after all and a good hobby/job.

Comment

The void tape stops the I can do that DIY seen it on you-tube mob in there tracks as if they have to ask you how do I check for short? chances are they have not checked buffers /Y/X sus boards. all simple tests. but once the void tape has been pulled and the board has been fitted there is no sending back as I take it they checked for shorts before pulling the tape and any that are on the board after were caused being fitting to there set. With some hard to find Y Sus /Sn +Sc boards bringing £80-120 buyers blowing them up then thinking I can just return it,just does not work with me

Comment

The void tape stops the I can do that DIY seen it on you-tube mob in there tracks as if they have to ask you how do I check for short? chances are they have not checked buffers /Y/X sus boards. all simple tests. but once the void tape has been pulled and the board has been fitted there is no sending back as I take it they checked for shorts before pulling the tape and any that are on the board after were caused being fitting to there set. With some hard to find Y Sus /Sn +Sc boards bringing £80-120 buyers blowing them up then thinking I can just return it,just does not work with me
                                  It does happen though as we all know im glad your terms are working out and you stick to them, ebay is very hit and miss with buying used boards at the minute as not many people take the time to test them correctly.

Comment

Ive got a tonne of boards that I need to list on ebay, might possibly sell them as a job for cheap lot if anyone would be interested ?

Comment

I think a whole lot depends on Where you live. Posh place like London or the home-Counties, prolly wont sell a 5 year old set--At All.

Down here in Welsh Wales, the situation is very different thankfully!

Reecey--Have you any 42Q97 PSU and control-boards?
                                      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                                      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                                      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I dont sorry buddy, I have a 42Q96 Tv in atm which is a customers but hes agreed for the repair. Most boards I have are from smashed Lcd Tv's.
                                        Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 01-09-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X