Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sylvania 6842pe won't turn on

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
    Another test is (switched off 5 mins) unplug the cables to the Ysus board top right in pic1 then try and switch on.
    Note what happens if different.
    Then switch off (5 Mins) plug Ysus back in and unplug Xsus board on left side pic 1, switch on -note what happens. Switch off 5 mins unplug both boards and switch on - report what happens.
    I did this and still the same thing. Relay clics, green light comes on for two secons, relay clicks, back to stanby. I did notice because it was very quiet for a change that with them plugged in, or unplugged that when I push the power button I can here a very faint high pitched noise about the middle of the power supply board right around the yellow transformer. The larger one with no numbers on top of it.

Comment

ok the caps you put in - check they are the right way round. In the central section of the power supply near the Big cap there is a fuse - what voltage do you get across it.
      Next, if you can get at it when its on ,what voltage is there across the Big cap.
      Black probe on negative leg red probe on positive leg CARE high voltage involved in both these tests.

Any more pics yet
      May as well check the voltage at the other fuse on this board - top of picture near the heatsink
      Last edited by selldoor; 08-05-2012, 07:20 AM.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

ok the caps you put in - check they are the right way round. In the central section of the power supply near the Big cap there is a fuse - what voltage do you get across it.
        Next, if you can get at it when its on ,what voltage is there across the Big cap.
        Black probe on negative leg red probe on positive leg CARE high voltage involved in both these tests.

Any more pics yet
        May as well check the voltage at the other fuse on this board - top of picture near the heatsink
        Are we still on the A/C voltage? The fuse I think you are talking about is 55vac to chassis ground. A couple of fuses have 119vac and the others have around 55vac. I can't get to the back side of the big caps to check but at the connectors that go to the y-sus board and thex-sus board I get around 175vac. This may be off a little as I'm slow to hit the power button and then get my probe to the pin, and the voltage starts to drop after it switchs back to standby.

Comment

Ok I'll try some pictures again. Hopfully they'll be better. I checked some voltages again and got different readings. The fuse at the lower right corner was again line voltage, about 120vac. The others I wasn't sure if it was A/C or D/C. On the A/C scale I got 665vac. On the D/C scale I got closer to 330vdc. I also double check with a different meter.
          Attached Files

Comment

Iam away for most of today had hoped some of the plasma tv guys would have chipped in - I am not sure it should be AC at the yellow connectors I will have to get more info. What are the board numbers of the boards the yellow connectors go to.
            I have also read that there is a small blue cap that goes bad just to the left of the big heatsink in the last pic - can you see what value it has on it? and get a close up pic of it.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by gayler View Post
              Ok I'll try some pictures again. Hopfully they'll be better. I checked some voltages again and got different readings. The fuse at the lower right corner was again line voltage, about 120vac. The others I wasn't sure if it was A/C or D/C. On the A/C scale I got 665vac. On the D/C scale I got closer to 330vdc. I also double check with a different meter.
              Check the voltage on the big cap with the shiny top. It should be about 300v

Also, in pic 009, in the bottom left, can you get a good close-up of the connector there? Just so we can see what wires are for what voltage, and to see if there is standby power, etc...
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

Also, in pic 009, in the bottom left, can you get a good close-up of the connector there? Just so we can see what wires are for what voltage, and to see if there is standby power, etc...
                I'll try to get a closeup of the connector and a voltage reading tonight.

Comment

Iam away for most of today had hoped some of the plasma tv guys would have chipped in - I am not sure it should be AC at the yellow connectors I will have to get more info. What are the board numbers of the boards the yellow connectors go to.
                  I have also read that there is a small blue cap that goes bad just to the left of the big heatsink in the last pic - can you see what value it has on it? and get a close up pic of it.
                  Is this the cap you are refering to?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I got 406vdc on this cap. This cap does have a 450v rating. Here are a couple of pics of the connector.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by gayler; 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

no, but, its on the left side of that picture, its the big round cylindrical object with a plastic sleeve on the side, and the shiny metal top.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

no, but, its on the left side of that picture, its the big round cylindrical object with a plastic sleeve on the side, and the shiny metal top.
                        Sorry I was answering selldoor on the small blue cap. On the larg shiny toped cap I got 406VDC. It's rated for 450V and I believe it's 470UF.

Comment

bump

Comment

No at least I dont think so - I have marked it in a circle on the attached.

As none of the pins are marked just start at one end (label it 1 with a felt tip)
                            plug in the tv and with meter on , better start at 600vDC (though I think they will all be less than 24) put black probe on a ground screw and test each pin
                            list result as follows
                            PIN
                            1 24,12v
                            2 11.59v and so on

If all are less than 25v then redo the test on 200vDC for more accurate result.

Comment

Thanks selldoor! I'll check these tonight.

Comment

Alright selldoor I got some readings. Starting at the top with the yellow wire, all others are grey. 1 power on 14.9 Off .25 2 power on 14.89 Off .25 3 zero volts power on and off 4 zero both on and off 5 zero both on and off 6 5.08 on .29 off 7 zero both on and off 8 5.08 on .29 off 9 5.09 on 5.10 off 10 zero on and off 11 1.26 on and off 12 zero both on and off 13 3.25 on and zero off. I did find one problem on the connector for VDATA. The seven pin connector in the top left. Pin number four should be 15V and I had zero volts on this one. Any Ideas what to look for? Thanks!

Comment

I am going to reformat your reply so I can read it looks like 5v &15v are there. Can we get pictures of the small x &y boards on each side.
                                  Alright selldoor I got some readings. Starting at the top with the yellow wire, all others are grey.
                                  1 power on 14.9 Off .25
                                  2 power on 14.89 Off .25
                                  3 zero volts power on and off
                                  4 zero both on and off
                                  5 zero both on and off
                                  6 5.08 on .29 off
                                  7 zero both on and off
                                  8 5.08 on .29 off
                                  9 5.09 on 5.10 off
                                  10 zero on and off
                                  11 1.26 on and off
                                  12 zero both on and off
                                  13 3.25 on and zero off.
                                  I did find one problem on the connector for VDATA. The seven pin connector in the top left. Pin number four should be 15V and I had zero volts on this one. Any Ideas what to look for? Thanks!
                                  Last edited by selldoor; 08-10-2012, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Sorry selldoor and others for taking so long to responde. Things have been very hectic. Here are some more pictures. Let me know if these are what you wanted.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunatly in the quest for better access to the board on the left this happened. These were badly pinched in the corner of a metal bracket. I must have done this trying to get the wires out. The bad part is both wires are the same color. How would you tell which went where. The second picture shows where the wires plug in.It's the connector at the top that has seven wires in a nine wire connector.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by gayler; 08-13-2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

How would you tell which went where.
                                        I think you are just panicking? if you take a close look at the broken ends it is unlikely that both have the insulation ripped in exactly the same pattern. Also on one the metal wire is protruding so on its partner the metal will be some distance into the insulation. On the other pair the metal wire should be visible in both?

Have another look at them and report back - if still a problem will have to dig a bit deeper.
                                        Last edited by selldoor; 08-14-2012, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Your right. I didn't have a magnifying glass with me and the light was poor. I don't think it will be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                          X