Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 42PFL5432D/37

Originally posted by PoteauPets View Post
    Hey Retired, Just took a look at the two caps I replaced and one has already bloated !!
    What is causing that?
    Let's see a picture of it.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here are a few pics. I put a red arrow over the new cap that is now bad.
      Attached Files

Comment

Did you put it in the right way? Negative to negative? Looks like it is reversed.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          Looks like it is reversed.
          I suspected that, but wanted to see a picture for confirmation. It is reversed when compared to the original picture at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1325569041

Notice how both negative (the one with the stripe) side is facing towards the RoHS label.

If this cap were put in backwards in the power supply, it would have popped immediately.

Well, good thing you ordered a spare!
          Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-21-2012, 04:45 AM.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Either way, it looks like those capacitors are for the audio output. Probably not critical to the operation of the TV. (Might make the audio not sound as good, though.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Either way, it looks like those capacitors are for the audio output. Probably not critical to the operation of the TV.
              Agreed. Post #57 advice/recommendation still stands. This is in addition to the newly bloated cap on the main board.

edit:

Just so it is clear to the OP, these Capxon caps (circled in red) on the power board are the ones likely to supply power to the master and slave inverter boards (the missing 24V DC). Even though they are not bloated, they could be low on capacitance.

In lay terms, it is just like you cannot tell if an AA battery is dead or not by looking at it.

PS. Of course, regulars here will recommend changing all the caps, but we have to consider her inexperience in soldering.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-21-2012, 06:39 AM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Changing capacitors on a single layer board is not difficult especially if the OP has succeeded at changing them on a 4 layer (at least) board. I was a noob to soldering before I started repairing stuff and I still struggle to repair 2 layer boards.

Comment

Notice how both negative (the one with the stripe) side is facing towards the RoHS label........

Yep, I see it.......

And not only did I order ONE extra, I ordered ONE MORE EXTRA EXTRA...lol

So, the green caps on the power board need to be re-capped? That group of 3 measures abt. 1/2" x 1 3/8" tall, or 13x35, but the only thing I can see on them until I take them out is GF 105 P724.

Comment

Was re-reading our previous posts. The info for the capXons on the power board are for the 1500uv35 (group of 3) 2200uF16v (single)
                    Attached Files

Comment

BTW, to clarify some lingo that you guys are using.........
                      What is a single layer board, 2 layer board, 4 layer board, and what is OP ?

THANX GUYS YOU ARE SOOO AWESOME !!!!!!!

Comment

BTW, to clarify some lingo that you guys are using.........
                        What is a single layer board,
                        A board with single layer of copper tracks, like your power supply. Copper tracks on the bottom only.

2 layer board,
                        A board with copper tracks on the upper and lower side.

4 layer board,
                        Like a 2 layer board, only with an additional 2 layers of copper tracks inside the board that can't be seen.

and what is OP ?
                        Original Poster (you in this case)

Comment

Was re-reading our previous posts. The info for the capXons on the power board are for the 1500uv35 (group of 3) 2200uF16v (single)
                          Would these be the correct parts numbers to order replacements. I want to make sure I get the right type, size, etc..

This is (hopefully, the right one) for the 1500v35 Group of 3....

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...27483128860735

Still looking for the 16v.

Comment

Possibly the one to replace the 2200uF16v
                            http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...2369-ND/613730

Comment

First link is broken but second is perfect. Panasonic FM are good for these power supplies.

Comment

How bout this one for the group of three?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...27540165450379
                                Last edited by PoteauPets; 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Still getting "part not found" for that link...

35V to replace 16V is fine (the rated voltage is just the maximum voltage the capacitor can work at); but check the dimensions as a higher rated voltage will mean a bigger capacitor size.

Comment

The number @ digikey is P12369-ND

Comment

The number @ digikey is P12369-ND
                                      Panasonic FM is fine for the 2200uF 16V.

I would recommend these United Chemi-con KZE for the 1500uF 35V caps.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1700-ND/756216

They are almost half the cost of Panasonic FR and they will fit. The FR is 16mm diameter and a whopping $1.74 each. UCC KZE are good caps as well.

BTW, the 2200uF 16V cap is obviously not part of the 24V rail because of the cap rating. The group of 3 are rated at 35V and provide the 24V DC output for the inverters.
                                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by bbjunkie View Post
                                        A board with single layer of copper tracks, like your power supply. Copper tracks on the bottom only.
                                        The significance of this is that more copper acts as a heatsink as it soaks up all the heat from the soldering iron making it harder to desolder the capacitor. So recapping a power board (single layer) will be easier than a motherboard (possibly 4 or more layers).

Now the decision you have to make is do you replace ALL the caps on the power board or just the larger Capxon ones (1500uF 35V and 2200uF 16V)?

Most of us here would recommend the former and then you know all the caps are high quality brand name ones.
                                        Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I would recommend these United Chemi-con KZE for the 1500uF 35V caps.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1700-ND/756216

They are almost half the cost of Panasonic FR and they will fit. The FR is 16mm diameter and a whopping $1.74 each. UCC KZE are good caps as well.

I Put these on my order, thank you. I am posting a list of all the other CapXons that I need.

Comment

Working...
                                          X