Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCD Monitor Sceptre x20wg-naga will go black after 1 sec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Monitor Sceptre x20wg-naga will go black after 1 sec.

Hello All,
    The LCD Monitor Sceptre x20wg-naga will go black after 1-2 sec. If I turn on
    the monitor the screen just stay for few seconds, and then goes away(black)
    but power is on. If I turn off and then turn on,the screen come back and goes black again for 1 to 2 sec.
    I checked board with power supply and inverter, and found the Capacitor C101(25v 150uf) is bad, I replaced that caps and tested that, but problem is not solved on this way.
    I have searched this forum and got so many good guidance how to fix this problem. But I am new to electronics repair and don't have experience for the repair. I hope I can get detailed help from this forum for this monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Because the uploading is failed, I try post links for pics of power board. Sorry
    for the inconvenience.
    http://weather1.ca.uky.edu/lcd/IMG_0299.JPG
    http://weather1.ca.uky.edu/lcd/IMG_0308.JPG
    http://weather1.ca.uky.edu/lcd/IMG_0309.JPG
    http://weather1.ca.uky.edu/lcd/IMG_0310.JPG
    Last edited by ukagwx; 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM. Reason: upload pics

Re: LCD Monitor Sceptre x20wg-naga will go black after 1 sec.

Typical description of 'two seconds to black'. If you found one bad cap there is no reason to believe the other caps are good. They can (and do) fail with no visible signs.

Did you use a good quality low ESR cap as a replacement? General purpose caps will not work properly; even after a complete recap using new general purpose caps a monitor can exhibit this problem.

The two most common causes of 'two seconds to black' are bad caps (40%), bad (aged) CCFLs or a problem with the CCFL wiring (40%), bad transformer (15%), bad component in the protection circuitry (5%).

If you have a good CCFL (or a non-working monitor with good CCFLs) you can substitute a test CCFL for each CCFL in turn and isolate the problem.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill for the quick reply.
      I posted pics links on the post.

I see some burned area on the board, this could be a problem?
      The transform looks bad? How to check that?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ukagwx; 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I don't download pictures hosted offsite. I'm not sure why you are having problems. Are they less than 2000 x 2000 pixels? Did you try to use 'Manage Attachments' (below the text entry area) to attach them?

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Detailed burn area.

On pic IMG_03121.jpg, the right one is burned compare to link one.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ukagwx; 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I used 'Manage Attachments' to upload the pics, but uploading to 92% and then failed.
            I tried many times. All pics are jpg,2.3M to 2.8M. Is this size to big to upload?

Comment

I see nothing wrong with the burned area. And the weirdest thing is that on the other side there is allmost nothing.

Transformers can be checked while not powered with an ohm-meter, they should all give allmost same readings on primary and secondary windings.

Do you have an ESR meter and a DMM?

Comment

No,I don't have an ESR meter and a DMM.

Comment

Visually, I cannot identify anything wrong there.
                  Go get (or borrow/loan) at least a cheap DMM to check voltages. Ideally an ESR-meter also.
                  I know, tools can be very expensive and it's hard to invest such amount of money to use them now and then. Usually they worth tens or more times than the repaired device, but if you are serious about repairing electronics, you should get at least basic ones.

Comment

I am trying uploading pics...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1311699377

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1311699377

Uploading is done. The size must be less 2000 x 2000.
                    Attached Files

Comment

More Pics. Burned area.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I will get a DMM right now. How to check and find the problem? Could you mark that
                        on the pics? Thanks.

Comment

Hello ipman,PlainBill or anyone, could you help me to check transformer(like PlanBill ponted:bad transformer (15%)),I post one more pic here.
                          I am really appreciated your help. better draw/mark that on the pic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I forgot to say I got a DMM now.

Comment

Not that transformer......measure resistance(ohms), on the secondaries of the two inverter transformers ....

Comment

The ones near the CCFL connectors, one of them has "QC OK" on it. Secondary means the winding leading to connectors.

Comment

Have you checked the voltages at the white connector CN001?

If the voltages are bad there, it may prevent the inverter portion from firing up.

I would check for the 5V and 12V in the first instance.

Comment

Hi Rtech,ipman and tmcw,
                                    I checked resistance for the two inverter transformers,that shows 621 and 626.
                                    I guess this is Ok(under 3%),right?

But I didn't check CN001 yet.

Look CN001 on pic:

N/F BL 12V GND 5V
                                    . . . . . . .

Is that right?

Comment

For the CN001, I checked 5v, got 4.96, no 12v connection(see pic,just 6 connections,blue line).
                                      Attached Files

Comment

How can I buy CN001

Comment

Working...
                                        X