Back from the Dead, thanks to POST card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from the Dead, thanks to POST card

About 4 years ago, I bought an Asus A8N-E with CPU & Ram on Craigslist(!).
    Of course, it was a rip-off. The board would not post, and I discovered the CPU and RAM were both dead. I established this by checking them in known good boards of similar specs. Swapped in known good CPU and RAM, still no POST.

A year ago I removed the chipset fan to use on another board.

I had been sorting through my old boards and had resuscitated a couple of Socket A I had given up on. Using the Post card I discovered that one board had a totally dead BIOS chip and another had a bricked BIOS.

So I hooked up this board with the speaker and POST card and to my
    amazement the board got to the C1 code and then emitted 4 long loud beeps. When I switched to double-sided low density memory, it stopped briefly at C1 before going to 7F and giving 4 short beeps. Connecting the monitor showed that it had actually booted into the BIOS screen and was complaining about no keyboard.

I still think there's something funny going on with the memory addressing, but I'll try some more.

Self-healing hardware?

Re: Back from the Dead, thanks to POST card

It was just tired and needed a nap.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Working...
    X