Toshiba L300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba L300

I've got a Tosh L300 with no graphics. It charges the battery and the power light comes on when the button is pressed. So far so good. The fan kicks in and chips get warm but no video. Any ideas anyone ??
    Laptops are deffo a different beast than PC's. Is this a common fault on these or is it going to be a long job tracking down the problem ?

Re: Toshiba L300

try and hook a monitor to the vga port, reboot and see if it comes up at all

does the hard drive light blink like its loading an OS?

this belongs in laptops
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

sorry, my mistake. Maybe the mods will move it for me...into the laptop section... but yes, i connected a monitor and nothing. No post and no HDD activity.

Comment

You should probably try a reflow at the northbridge chip, that is the one near to the cpu or if it has integrated grafics like ati or nvidia search for the video chip. they are all bga chips that means you cannot acces the solder joints so you have to sent hot air to reach 200ÂșC for about a minute, on the back of the mainboard at the place where the graphic chip is (or the northbridge if it's an intel GMA) and then on the other side again (let it cool a little before twisting and beware of not bend the board or you'll make an unrecoverable short!!) also don't press the chip or a short could apear.
        To do this you have to remove the motherboard and all periferals, including heathsinks and plastic sticks that would bend with tempreature. Hope this helps, and I assume you had already tryed with another ram module. Some models have pci-x add on video cards so it should be a diferent process, you can try reconecting the video card before reflowing anything.
        Good luck
        Chad
        I almost forgot, the motherboard has to be set horisontal and supported properly to not bend or twist with gravity.
        Last edited by chad720; 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM. Reason: more cautions

Comment

Have you tried putting it on without the AC adapter? Try this option and see the result. because i had such issue with toshiba l300 with no display when running on AC but will display when running on battery so Just give it a try may be..

Comment

Originally posted by ukvince View Post
            I've got a Tosh L300 with no graphics. It charges the battery and the power light comes on when the button is pressed. So far so good. The fan kicks in and chips get warm but no video. Any ideas anyone ??
            Laptops are deffo a different beast than PC's. Is this a common fault on these or is it going to be a long job tracking down the problem ?
            Did you ever get this sorted out, i have one the same with everything pointing to the onboard ati video chip, a common problem apparently, i did try a reflow with a hot air station but no joy, even fleabay is full of these boards but most are dead but a good majority have the same problem.

Comment

Best option for no video mainboards is reballing, but it is expensive if you don't have tools. You said that you have done reflow and it didnt help. Most of the boards have lead free solder so it melts in high temperatures. I have tried to reflow some nvidia chips and unsucesfully until i didnt have temperature probe. Tempereature is a key point. If temperature is too low reflow is not done if temperature is too high then is a big chance to get a popcorn. Most of the time reflowing or reballing helps but keep in mind that it might be other problems too.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
                Have you tried putting it on without the AC adapter? Try this option and see the result. because i had such issue with toshiba l300 with no display when running on AC but will display when running on battery so Just give it a try may be..
                I have same problem as mentioned above.I need urgent solution for this problem.Please help

Comment

Working...
                X