Design Flaw on MSI 694D Pro ver:1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Flaw on MSI 694D Pro ver:1.0

I have seen this on every MSI 694D Pro 1.0 I've recapped. Between PCI slots 2 and 3, resides C390. The cap value stock is 1000uF 6.3v. Of course upon receiving the board, this cap is vented like many others. I recapped the board, of course replacing C390. I then would connect the board to my jig and burn it in for a while... Within the first 30 minutes or so, C390 would be vented again. I checked to make sure I installed it correctly, and the correct voltage. It was correct, so I assumed I had a dud for a replacement cap (Rubycon's, so this scenario was unlikely). I replaced it again, and tested again... Same result. Within the first 30 minutes, C390 vented again. Through this whole ordeal, the board was working fine.

At this point, I was puzzled... So I flipped the board over and read the voltage on the cap while the board was powered up and running the tests. On C390, I placed the '+' meter lead on the '+' cap lead, same thing with the neg leads. To my surprise, there was a -3.9v on the cap. I had to do a doubletake and make sure I had the leads attached correctly, and they were. There is a negative voltage on the C390 position when reading the cap position according to the polarity marking on the board.

I installed another Rubycon replacement, only this time I installed it backward. Opposite of the board polarity markings, and the board has been running flawlessly for over a week now, no more venting of C390.

Like I said, I've seen this on MANY MSI 694D Pro boards, so it was not an isolated case, or just a 'quirk' with one particular board. I will post some pics soon.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Design Flaw on MSI 694D Pro ver:1.0

Interesting! Nice find.

Comment

This post is well over a year old! Guess Topcat didn't get those pics "soon"
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

So my question is, Do you suggest to all 694D owners to install this one backwards?

Comment

this is quite strange indeed.
          I have 2 of these boards exactly as described. They were given to me as dead boards that a friend of mine tried to replace the 2700uf caps. He used them as servers until the 2700uf's blew. The c390 caps don't look bad but.... I'm tempted to try this. The only thing is that venting after 30mins, that's insanley fast. By those standards the board shouldn't have worked to begin with.

Comment

Then it was most likley installed reversed, note that on some mobos the silkscreen is incorrect so check with a multimeter...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Nice article Topcat, always nice to see manufacturers making mistakes.
              Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

i didnt know those msi boards came with a coupon for a free cup of fail!
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Does this wrong polarity capped issue happens on Intel's Motherboard too? I've encountered many Intel motherboards with bulging caps even though high quality caps were used.

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. Sometimes they used Nichicon HM/HN which are not as high quality as some think. Nichicon are japanese, but the HM and HN had manufacturing flaws which they fixed in 2005. If the caps were made in or before that year, they would have been affected.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X