Which OS should I Use????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which OS should I Use????

Yes I'm getting one of Topcats Tyan Dual Opteron 64 bit CPU boards. Had to break the bank to do it. I going to get to learn lots of new stuff along the way. It will take some time for me to get the rest of the parts to make it go but it will be worth it. My first Questions are about which OS version to load on it to start out with. I have a "fixed" version of Windows Xp Pro Corp VLK. I would think that this is a 32 bit version and I don't know if it supports dual CPU's. I can take it all the way to Sp3 but the automatic updates will have to remain turned off. I also have my Dell Xp home 32 bit version but I used its COA on the AMD Thunderbird C sitting here. I also have a retail copy of Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Again I used its COD on another PC. Will Mr.Bill let me activate Media again on another PC? I have a Vista upgrade disk but its been installed on this Dell before too. In windows 7 I believe I have a "fixed" 64 bit version as well as a "fixed" 32 bit version. I would rather stay with Xp for now while I learn my way around this dual CPU animal. Windows Xp Pro 64 bit is still for sale but its still around $150.00 bucks. As it is I will need a case, PSU, ram and maybe other things to run the new one. Maybe I should buy the 64 bit windos Xp Pro while its still out there to be had....What do you all think on all that I have said???
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Which OS should I Use????

XP Home won't support 2 physical CPU's at all.

XP Pro 32 and 64 will support the multi cpu's. The question of which OS you want will be determined by the amount of RAM you plan on running. The opterons support 64 bit, so no issues there. However, if you're not going to have more than 3gb of RAM, you have no need for 64 bit, 32 bit will be fine. FWIW, win7 would also run fine on this board, with enough RAM.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Its going to be the 32 bit Xp Pro then. Would 1.5 gigs of ram on each cpu be about right? That would be three gigs total in the system. Have not given the manual a good read yet but I will.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

Yes, that would be fine. Theres a 1gb and a 512mb stick coming with it. DIMM's don't interleave between the processors, so they can be safely mix-n-matched that way.

For example:

CPU1 can have a pair of 1gb sticks and CPU2 can have a pair of 512mb sticks.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

That should be faster than two cpu's trying to use the same ram I would think. Going from my "318 v8 four door Dodge Dart" Dell to this unit just may be like jumping into a 440 dual powered 4 four speed 'Cuda. Even is it isn't it will at least have to be better than this pig. To Topcat!
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

put mandriva or suse linux on it - 64bit version.

that will run duel-64bit cpu's well.

then install an app called "wine"
            http://winehq.org

then it will run almost any 32bit windows software too.

Comment

Actually, of the "easy to use" linux distros, I have enjoyed Ubuntu. Come with a lot of installed programs, and has a software utility for finding a ton more, all free.

Partition your main drive into 2, and throw both xp and Linux on it, you may be surprised that you like linux better. If it wasn't for my games and photoshop, I would be running only Ubuntu, just until I get more used to linux, and move on to Debain or Slax.

I have rand Mandriva (Mandrake), and it is good, but I think for ease of use, and the "Ubuntu Software" program just beats it out hands down. Even with my current system, I run in it VMWare. Just a good round OS. Thinking of doing a dual boot with it, and actually doing a phisical install, and using it for my internet use.

I swear, if Steam would make the move to Linux, Windows would be GONE.
              Last edited by AudioCraZ; 05-19-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Sorry, got a little off topic on the previous post.

As for moving CD keys, it is pretty easy, use the key with a fresh install. When you "activate" windows, it will either say "activation sucessful" or you will have to call Microsoft. Just call them, and if they ask if you bought the copy, or if it came with the computer, just tell them that your motherboard died, and you were forced to upgrade your computer. Right there, that tells them all they need to know why the hardware generated number changed so much. I move OEM cd-keys from computer to computer all the time like that. The one rule is one CD-Key per computer.

Just FYI for anybody, you can find lots of windows cd-keys on ebay for around $8-$20 each for XP and Vista keys that are on "laptop battery doors", "laptop ram covers", etc... Cheap and easy way to get OEM cd-keys.

Worked at several shops that did that, and you just have to tell microsoft that the motherboard died, and you are just upgrading your current system. (Tells them that the motherboard and other stuff was replaced in the same case, and by their terms of use, is completely within rules).

Comment

I have Ubuntu and Mint Gloria here. The Mint is ok but I'm no fan of linux. I'm stupid so I keep it simple. With Windows Xp in most cases I don't have to go download this or that to do the other. Mint is still on my Lappy along with Xp. I may boot to Mint and play around with it again today just for the hell of it. Yes its running "Wine" too.
                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                  X