Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ViewSonic VX1940w

Originally posted by Tjcrazy View Post
    OK, Guess I'll have to buy a soldering iron.

That site, uk.farnell.com doesn't have the resistors as far as I can tell!
    it has both resistors AND capacitors. You're looking for capacitors and C1 obviously won't tell you anything because it's just a notation on the board.

You have to look for the uF value and the voltage (you can pick higher voltage, ex you have 10v rated capacitors but you can pick 16v rated ones just as well), then pick something that has low impedance value and high ripple. Pick a few and on the page of each one you have datasheets. You also have to pay attention to the diameter of the capacitors, so that they would fit on the board.

The link for capacitors is here: http://uk.farnell.com/aluminium-electrolytic

example of good capacitors for you

35v 220uF : uk.farnell.com/rubycon/35rx30220m10x12-5/capacitor-220uf-35v/dp/8126607

c315: capxcon 2200uF 10v : http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/16zlh2...16v/dp/8126313 (16v but higher v is ok)

etc etc ...

ps. my antivirus goes crazy whenever it finds that image host radio1 .co.cc links ... won't show pictures, saying they're viruses or bad content
    Last edited by mariushm; 11-23-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

updated list of capacitors:

(based upon this image: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1294506657 )

C1: capxcon 220uF 35v
      C201: capxcon 120uF 400v
      C302: capxcon 220uF 35v
      C305: capxcon 2200uF 10v
      C205: capxcon 22uF 50v
      C307: capxcon 1000uF 10v

As you can see (when you check with the image), all the numbers are ok.
      Does anybody know if Conrad.nl would be a good place to look?
      They let me choose between: Panasonic, Yageo, Jianghai, Vishay.

p.s. Mariushm, i get the same notice from my virusscanner.
      Last edited by supervinnie40; 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by supervinnie40 View Post
        updated list of capacitors:

(based upon this image: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1294506657 )

C1: capxcon 220uF 35v
        C201: capxcon 120uF 400v
        C302: capxcon 220uF 35v
        C305: capxcon 2200uF 10v
        C205: capxcon 22uF 50v
        C307: capxcon 1000uF 10v

As you can see (when you check with the image), all the numbers are ok.
        Does anybody know if Conrad.nl would be a good place to look?
        They let me choose between: Panasonic, Yageo, Jianghai, Vishay.

p.s. Mariushm, i get the same notice from my virusscanner.
        I looked at the site. For low ESR caps they indicate Yageo, but don't give specs. A little searching on a 2200uF, 6.3V cap gave specs similar to a Panasonic FC. That is OK, but not real great. The other factor is actual longevity - CapXon has great specs, but fails. I have no idea how Yageo will stand up.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          ps. my antivirus goes crazy whenever it finds that image host radio1 .co.cc links ... won't show pictures, saying they're viruses or bad content
          Between a few members here, we have over 10,000 posts combined where our signatures tell people how to attach pictures to this website so they are hosted here. My sig file also explains the limitation size (2000 x 2000) and size (2MB) and why people should not post inline (it slows down the loading of pages and I'm on usage based billing).

When you go to attach a picture, the popup box clearly shows the max resolution and file size limitations, yet people don't pay attention or ignore them and say they can't upload the picture.

I also go through the exercise in showing people the preferred picture composition (top down view of all boards) by providing a link.

It is extremely frustrating to see people ignore or not pay attention to these instructions. I'm Canadian and I even say PLEASE in my sig file.

So now if something is hosted offsite, I just move onto to the next thread.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the effort Plainbill. But i'm afraid i don't fully understand what you're trying to say.

Do you mean conrad.nl is not a very good place to shop?
            There is a little local electronics shop near my house, which will give me a good deal (i know the owner pretty good), but there is 1 big problem: they don't have the big 120uF 400v cap.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            I fully understand what you're trying to say. I'd apologize for doing it wrong.
            the thing is, i've tried several times to upload my pictures the way it's explained. But it didn't work.
            I've tried resizing the pictures, renaming them, changing the ppi, converting them etc.etc.
            Nothing made any difference.

Despite of understanding your response, you can't blame (new) people if the uploader doesn't work.
            Last edited by supervinnie40; 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
              it has both resistors AND capacitors. You're looking for capacitors and C1 obviously won't tell you anything because it's just a notation on the board.

You have to look for the uF value and the voltage (you can pick higher voltage, ex you have 10v rated capacitors but you can pick 16v rated ones just as well), then pick something that has low impedance value and high ripple. Pick a few and on the page of each one you have datasheets. You also have to pay attention to the diameter of the capacitors, so that they would fit on the board.

The link for capacitors is here: http://uk.farnell.com/aluminium-electrolytic

example of good capacitors for you

35v 220uF : uk.farnell.com/rubycon/35rx30220m10x12-5/capacitor-220uf-35v/dp/8126607

c315: capxcon 2200uF 10v : http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/16zlh2...16v/dp/8126313 (16v but higher v is ok)

etc etc ...

Based on the image, I've added all 6 capacitors to my basket (Totalling £7.15!).. I hope they're the right ones:

8126607 CAPACITOR, 220UF, 35V RUBYCON - 35RX30220M10X12.5
              1547017 CAPACITOR, 120UF, 400V RUBYCON - 400KXW120MEFC18X30

8126569 CAPACITOR, 220UF, 35V RUBYCON - 35ML220MEFC10X9
              1144685 CAPACITOR, 2200UF, 10V RUBYCON - 10ZL2200MEFC12.5X20

8126968 CAPACITOR, 22UF, 50V RUBYCON - 50ML22MEFC8X5
              1144682 CAPACITOR, 1000UF, 10V RUBYCON - 10ZL1000MEFC8X20

If I order these and a soldering iron, will that be all I need to (hopefully) fix the screen?

I cannot say how indebt I am to you guys, your so helpful!

Comment

@supervinnie40
                the large 400V cap rarely fails, so it is not often replaced unless it is known to be bad
                the other 5 caps should be, for best results

Comment

The 220uF is a ML series, which is average series, aimed at miniature not necessarily good specs. These ones would be better:

from best to less best

http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/35zlk2...0uf/dp/1831289
                  http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/35zlh2...35v/dp/8126690
                  http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/35rx30...35v/dp/8126607

ZLK series is high ripple, very low impedance
                  ZLH series is average ripple, low impedance, miniature
                  RX series is high temperature, low impedance, average ripple

Comment

Ok, I didn't know that, thanks! Are all the other caps I selected OK?

Comment

Well, today after work i went to the electronics shop i mentioned before.

They didn't have the exact same caps, but they promised me the ones they gave me would work.
                      After paying 2.95 euro's, i went home, plugged in the soldering iron, and waited impatiencently.

On the images you can see how it went.
                      They fitted like a glove, and the soldering went fine (no, not pro. but still pretty good i recon).

Put everything together, and.... well... check the pictures.

I geuss i owe you all a very very very huge thanks.
                      Instead of having to spend 100 euro's on a new screen, i fixed it for 2.95 euro.
                      AWESOME! (now just hope it won't break down again).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by supervinnie40 View Post
                        Thanks for the effort Plainbill. But i'm afraid i don't fully understand what you're trying to say.

Do you mean conrad.nl is not a very good place to shop?
                        There is a little local electronics shop near my house, which will give me a good deal (i know the owner pretty good), but there is 1 big problem: they don't have the big 120uF 400v cap.
                        I was saying they are better than many places - they DO offer low ESR caps. But the low ESR caps aren't all that low, and I'm not sure of the quality of the brand.

I'm happy see you have the monitor working. What brand and series of caps did you buy?

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'm not sure to be honest... :S
                          I was so in a hurry to see if it worked, that i didn't really check.

I do remember that the brand name consisted out of 3 letters, with a K in it.
                          I allready start to think about KFC haha, but that wasn't it.
                          I also don't know anything about a serie.
                          I showed the guy a piece of paper with the values i posted earlier, and he just grabbed the ones he said i needed.

Comment

Ok, so I'm about to order the ones I posted in my earlier post. Hopefully them and my solder iron will arrive tomorrow/Saturday!

Glad you've got your screen worknig supervinnie!

One question though, How do I take out the old (broken) capacitors?

Comment

You let the solder iron warm up for about 3-4 minutes then touch one of the soldered wires of the capacitor and the solder around it on the bottom until it goes liquid and then slowly put some pressure on one of the side of the capacitor so that the wire goes up through the hole.
                              Then repeat the process with the other capacitor wire and solder and when you pull the capacitor it will come out easily.

If you have some talent, you may be able to heat both wires of the capacitor and solder areas of the capacitor at the same time and remove it.

Now this is not a particularly "smart" way to do it - it's better to use solder sucker (which sucks the solder around the wire) or desoldering braid (which is a copper band with flux on it that when heated up above the solder, it pulls the solder on it).

But with such simple boards with large diameter holes and thick copper, if you're careful you'll do fine.

This shows what I said, pretty much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4iv_m0ZgE

Note that he wiggles it (applies pressure on the sides of the capacitor while heating) on the other side.

As for soldering, you have to heat up both the round metal pad and the wire of the capacitor and then insert solder wire - the wire should turn liquid if the solder iron and the wire and the hole ring are hot enough.

These videos are very good and should give you all the info you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=J5Sb21qbpEQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5n...feature=relmfu <-- this part is most useful for you to solder right
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FC9...feature=relmfu (optional, useful if you're gonna start fixing other things in the future, good learning material)

Comment

I've got a tool for that, it looks like a big pen. but works similar to a bike-pump. When ou push it down, it clicks into place. When you press a little button, it shoots up (and with that action sucks a bit of air on the bottom, like when you pull up the bar of a bike-pump). By sucking i little bit of air, it sucks up the solder (after made it liquid with your solder iron).

Here's a link to a picture: http://www.seekpart.com/company/7708...151318410.html
                                They call it (gracefully): a "solder sucker".

But i'm sure somebody here might have an alternative if you haven't got this thing. (i've done it once with a vacuum cleaner, but you've to be super-mega-über carefull!).

Comment

Yeah, that's a solder sucker. It's Ok but sometimes it's just inconvenient as by the time you remove the solder iron and put the sucker of the solder to suck it, the solder could turn cold and won't be sucked up.

I have both the regular one like in the picture and one that's like a solder iron and sucker combination but in some cases I still find easier to just carefully bend the capacitor sideways or just pull it out after heating the solder on both wires.

Comment

Bit of a disaster. Farnell has a minimum order charge of £20. So that's no good! Any other websites where I can order from?

Comment

Tjcrazy
                                      you have not added your location
                                      so do not know where you are
                                      this would help in giving a supplier in your area

Comment

Sorry, I'm in the UK; Cardiff. Phoned Farnell up, and they told me to go to Leeds. That's never going to happen. Would prefer an online seller, cause then I can check what I'm buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjcrazy View Post
                                          Sorry, I'm in the UK; Cardiff. Phoned Farnell up, and they told me to go to Leeds. That's never going to happen. Would prefer an online seller, cause then I can check what I'm buying.
                                          tjcrazy
                                          http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=welcometors
                                          they have a unit just outside of cardiff on the treforrest industrial estate
                                          you can get there by train if you wanted to
                                          Unit D8.2/Forest Court/Main Av Pontypridd CF37 5UR
                                          01443 841120
                                          phone them or, there is a shop on site I understand or order on line

Comment

Working...
                                          X