Samsung 205BW Repaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 205BW Repaired

After finding another post here on the same monitor and repairing my Phillips plasma TV's power supply capacitors a month or so ago I figured I'd report my fixed Samsung 205BW.

The post I found (and didn't want to revive or hijack) was is here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11766

Thanks all!

I managed to replace all but the small 10uF and the giant one. Neither two looked bad though the two 1000uF ones attached to the bulb(s) didn't look bad either but it didn't work right until I replaced those as well. Had I had the 10uF 50V (or higher voltage) I'd have replaced the little one as well.

The symptoms of my monitor were weak/lack of colors and error prone menu. At times the buttons were also unresponsive though I've seen and experienced other issues with the buttons. I'll report back if I encounter any post-repair issues with it.

Currently it's connected to an older white Intel based Macbook via DVI with a display port adaptor.

Re: Samsung 205BW Repaired

Since this thread isn't too old, being the most recent on the 205BW I could find, I thought I'd post here.

So, I have a 205bw that goes black 1 second after being turned on- but the light stays solid. I've had this happen to another monitor before, so I kind of knew what to do, replace the bad caps. Opened her up and there were indeed a few bulging ones, so I replaced them, and got no change in the monitor. So I sucked it up and dropped the extra cash on a power supply, but there's a problem (and looking at the images I attached should tell you enough)

The boards are different, different revisions I guess, because I ordered based on model number which was accurate. I didn't notice this before I bought it(they look rather similar at a glance, the new one is smaller and has different screen connections though). My screen has 4 (two long, two short) connectors. The working board I have now only has two connectors(and they don't fit the long ones that my screen has). Is there any way to retrofit this (taking the connectors off the "busted" board maybe?) I'm just not sure if this is because the screen type is different and if this "new" board is useless to me or not (besides maybe the large cap to replace)

The other solution is to try and fix the original board, because I can't find my actual board online, but I just don't know what's wrong with it. The only cap I didn't replace was the really large one on its side, all others were replaced.

The pictures aren't mine, but I could get some if it would help.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mbr11 View Post
      So, I have a 205bw that goes black 1 second after being turned on- but the light stays solid. I've had this happen to another monitor before, so I kind of knew what to do, replace the bad caps.
      2 seconds to black can be

a) bad caps
      b) bad ccfl
      c) bad ccfl wiring
      d) bad inverter transformer

All and more explained starting with post #19 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

The boards are different, different revisions I guess, because I ordered based on model number which was accurate.
      Manufacturers have changed boards completely, as you found out, while keeping the same model number.

The pictures aren't mine, but I could get some if it would help.
      Using someone else's picture or stock photos is no help to us. It is like going to a surgeon with xrays of your spouse.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

A couple of points bear mentioning at this time. There is no problem reopening an older thread if you are dealing with the same monitor, and especially if you are dealing with the same problem. Hijacking an active thread with a different problem (or as has happened in some cases, a different monitor) is strongly diiscouraged.

It also bears repeating that opening a new thread is free, and in this case is irrelevant. In either case the thread would be at the top of the listing.

In this case I suggest several different actions, you get to choose which. The problem is 'Two Seconds to Black'. Bad capacitors can be the cause, but is not the only possible cause. retiredcaps has an excellent thread on troubleshooting the problem.

It does not appear to be possible to swap the connectors. Your IPS has 6 transformers to drive 6 CCFLs; the replacement is designed to drive only 4. It would appear it is either for a different monitor, or one with a different LCD panel. I would contact the seller and attempt to return it for one for your monitor. ALWAYS verify the part numbers when ordering replacement parts.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

While I've not had the same level of problems before my original fix I think I need to get back in there and replace the 10uF. Sometimes it delays or get's it wrong on power/wake up still. Back to Radio Shack I guess since I hate waiting though it could mean I'll just have to replace them again later. I have my doubts to the quality of "random" part bags.

Comment

Radio Shack does not sell low ESR capacitors that are required for use in this type of repair. Most members on the forum use online retailers like digikey.com and mouser.com. I order from digikey using their cheapest shipping (USPS first class mail) and have the parts in 2 to 3 days.

Comment

Yeah, I figured they wouldn't be up-to-par but they are down the street and I'm not so concerned about it being a perfect fix even though there may be a possiblity of breaking something else or as unlikely as it is, burning the house down. That said, RadioShack did not have any of the 10uF 50V ones so I went to trusty DigiKey and ordered a few dollars worth (like 20 caps).

In hindsight I probably should have jsut ordered the initial fix parts too to swap out the cheap ones but now I'm just curious to see how it will hold up.

I'll report back after this fix and see how it goes when they arrive.

Also I have to say thanks to Badcaps again and the forum users. I've gotten so throw-away ready that its nice to know this got me back into fixing things up again. Especially saving me from replacing my 50" plasma and now the monitor.

Comment

Working...
              X