• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Syncmaster 2253lw inverter "not turning on"

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    See my fellow Canadian's 5 minute tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU

For each value above, go to digikey.com type the following into the search field.

10uf 50v fr

If no stock, try

10uf 50v fm

If no stock, finally try

10uf 50v fc

FR and FM are the preferred choice. If neither are available choose, FC. All are made by Panasonic and are good quality low ESR caps.
    Will do! Can't thank you enough!

Comment

Okay, today I received the caps and multimeter.

Replaced remaining caps and STILL doesn't work. All I get still is the solid blue power light.

However if I tested the fuses correctly using the multimeter one of them is no good.

The "button" fuse I tested its continuity and ohms checks out at "0" - it dropped to that.

The "longer green" fuse (125v F4 0AL) by the inverters has no continuity and the ohm number keeps on going up and up and up.

The diodes are fine for continuity in the one direction as it should.

So am I correct if testing a fuse on ohms if the number keeps on increasing means the that fuse is no good? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but in my research think I'm correct. If that fuse is bad I hope it's easy to acquire as I never ordered such.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nickt1862 View Post
        So am I correct if testing a fuse on ohms if the number keeps on increasing means the that fuse is no good?
        A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms. If the ohms reading keeps increasing, then that fuse is bad.
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The "longer green" fuse (125v F4 0AL) by the inverters has no continuity and the ohm number keeps on going up and up and up.
          45 cents at digikey.com

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1018-ND/614953
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sometimes fuses die due to fatigue. Sometimes not.

Post a clear focused picture of the backside of the power board. Usually there are some mosfets. If they are shorted, they may have taken out of the fuse.

See section on mosfets for how to test

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=19
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms. If the ohms reading keeps increasing, then that fuse is bad.

I know that the photo above is "lousy", but if you see that "long" green fuse by the cap on the right by the inverter in that photo is the one that failed.

Now where to get one - can't find it as maybe I'm searching wrong.

Can you please give me a suggestion?

Comment

Can you please give me a suggestion?
                See posts #24 and #25.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

See posts #24 and #25.
                  Thanks, we both must have posted at the same time so I missed them.

Comment

Thanks, we both must have posted at the same time so I missed them.
                    I should have mentioned that since the fuses are only 45 cents, you might as well get 2 or 3 in case it blows again.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I should have mentioned that since the fuses are only 45 cents, you might as well get 2 or 3 in case it blows again.
                      Good idea for sure.

Well I have a donor one (that I just realized I had laying around) that I'll use to see what happens from an old power board of a crappy monitor which same rated fuse checks out.

If it works I'll await my next cap order to order these and with me finding things that will be soon.

Just today I repaired a 20" Samsung monitor by replacing all the caps - of course that now works fine and which I won't personally use but the 22" (2253lw) that I want to work for me doesn't - lol!

Comment

I replaced the fuse and now it's totally dead even though the fuse checks out before and after the installation.

Sounds like this monitor doesn't want to work for me.

Time for mosfet check.

EDIT: Okay tested the mosfets and one is shorted - fun fun fun! lol!

What would I do without a multimeter? I know, I would've given up already.
                        Last edited by nickt1862; 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

After back and forth for a couple of weeks the repair of this monitor is dead! I screwed up taking out a mosfet that it took the trace of a leg off the PCB.

I'm so ticked off!

Thanks for the help till this point - I really do appreciate it.

Comment

I screwed up taking out a mosfet that it took the trace of a leg off the PCB.
                            Post a clear picture of the back. It might be possible to bridge the pins if depending on what you lifted OR you can install a jumper wire to another component.

What is the part number of the mosfet?

http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/6-1.shtml
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yeah definitely don't give up on it as its unlikely that it cannot be repaired.

As retiredcaps says we need as nice clear picture.
                              Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                              Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Thanks guys, that power supply board is not worth repairing as I found that also out one of the inverters is bad as well = comes out to too much $$ and effort and just makes no sense to me.

Cheaper for me to find a used or new working power board as eBay has some for $2x.xx shipped.

Comment

Working...
                                X