Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chi Mei iz3d Monitor Black out problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chi Mei iz3d Monitor Black out problems.

I have a Chi Mei iZ3d 22" monitor that doesn't seem to want to display an image. The problem kinda came out of nowhere. The monitor was plugged in and on for about 2 mo. Then I took a trip for 3 days and turned my computer off for that time. When I came back and started up my computer and turned on the monitor there was no image but I could tell the backlight was on.

After unplugging the second input *the one needed for 3d* and pulling the power plug from the monitor several times, it displayed an image and began to work fine again. I had it on for another 2 weeks then took another trip for 3 days. Not thinking about it, I shut everything down again. When I returned the same problem happened.

There is almost NO tech support for these monitors so I hope someone can help me out. I have also connected it to two other computers with different video cards including one onboard and the same exact thing happens. I can tell the backlight is on because the screen is not black black, but that off grey as if it had no video source.

Thank you for your time in advance. VERY new here so if there is more information you need from me please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again.

Edit: Pictures and more description.
    I repair xbox 360s on a regular basis so I do have the tools needed to repair it. I do NOT have any voltemeters or anything like that however. I have included two pictures. One of the power board and the logic? board. The only thing I can see is in the third image you can see a capacitor that appears blown.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cobaltsmith; 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM.

Re: Chi Mei iz3d Monitor Black out problems.

Welcome to the forum-
    We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
    Have you a multimeter and soldering equipment and can you use them.

Did you use the same connector cables when you tested it?
    When it is all switched on and connected to pc can you see a faint image of what should be on the screen - perhaps shining a torch on the screen will help.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Both of those green caps are failed. Let me guess, Capxon?

It's possible that using it in 2D mode reduced the power consumption of the logic board as there are two ICs on there each which appears to individually process the video feed. With only one in use, it may have given in a few more weeks of usable life.
      Last edited by tom66; 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

C30 on the other side of the heatsink also looks bulged -starting to split at the top.
        Probably best as there are so few caps to make a decent job of it and replace them all on this board. Perhaps the 3 on their sides on the inverter part are ok - what make are they?
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
          C30 on the other side of the heatsink also looks bulged -starting to split at the top.
          Probably best as there are so few caps to make a decent job of it and replace them all on this board. Perhaps the 3 on their sides on the inverter part are ok - what make are they?
          Good catch. I didn't spot that, but it's definitely bulged. And I can see the first few letters of the dreaded CapXon name. What makes that brand -so- completely inept at making any capacitor last any amount of time?!
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So you guys suggest just replacing all the caps I can get at? Sounds like an easy enough job, any advice on removing that god awful glue crap?

Comment

Originally posted by cobaltsmith View Post
              So you guys suggest just replacing all the caps I can get at? Sounds like an easy enough job, any advice on removing that god awful glue crap?
              Plyers or side cutters are good to peel it off, but I find the glue dries after a couple of years and the caps will come out without the glue stuck to them.

Comment

Now the waiting game. Just purchased the two green ones *I'll start there*. Then move on to other ones as needed. Made sure they were not capxon caps tho. Thank you guys very much.

Comment

Oh, caps are in. Stupid question. How do I determine how to place them? One wire is longer than the other, however, how do I know how to place them in the board after I pull the old caps? Any suggestions? I'm assuming it has something to do with the orientation of the gold bar on the caps on the board and the same line on my new caps.

Comment

There are a number of clues.Tricks.

On the cap there is usually a stripe down one side with - - - - minus bars in it. This is the negative side

The "short" leg on a new cap is on the negative side the "long" leg is positive.

Going to the board - they use various marking to show negative/positive by shading within the circle or white squares or black squares. Cant actually see on your board,what they use BUT I think there is also a small + by each cap so that will be the Positive side.

For caps on their sides there will be a black or white stripe on the board on the negative side

None of the board information is really important because sometimes it is wrong anyway!!!

What you SHOULD do is to replace each new cap the SAME way as the old one is. You can do this by photograph, drawing or by marking the board as you remove each cap.
                    Do one at a time or all same values at a time so you dont get mixed up.

The caps should go down as close to the board as the leg spacing will allow. Do a final check that they are not going to be too high.

Read this: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

Comment

What caps are you using for replacements?

I would highly advise you replace the bulged black one too, as it was probably damaged by the failure of the other two (having to do the job of the two other caps, it didn't stand a chance.)

Comment

Working...
                      X