Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LC-80LE645E Flashing 2-5 :-(

Dear all.

I have troubles with my Sharp TV.... it is nearly 4 years old.... (1 year after warranty) and sharp says they can't repair because of no spare parts.... so I have to try myself....

So Error 2-5 seems to be Power supply error.... but I think it is not.... I got a new (old) Power supply from E-Bay but with this I have absolutely same error.... after reading here a lot, I understand that the Error comes from TCON Board or Display.....

So I have disconnected both big ribbon cables from TCON board... and now TV starts without error and Backlights light up but for sure no picture....

after this I have started up with only one of the two ribbon cables and now TV also starts but only half picture....
    If i connect the other ribbon cable.... the TV dies not start, I got Error 2-5 ....

So this looks for me that the TCON board is okay but one side of the Display is not okay..... :-(
    Bad error!!

But now, I have the question what can I do???
    Is there something more electronic parts arround the display? or could there be a bad connecting arround the display??
    Does anybody has a advise for me for the next step? Or is it not possible to repair?
    The ribbon cables arround the display are bonded directly to the glass, so it is not possible to make something there?!?

attached some pictures....
    Attached Files

Re: Sharp LC-80LE645E Flashing 2-5 :-(

continue your reading on the various threads about the sharp (there are number of them). Basically, you have to remove the tab drive cables on the bad side.
    To further "test" which side is bad, leave the tcon fully connected. In the bottom corner of the panel on each side, there is a small interconnect ribbon cable connecting the side boards to the bottom board of the set. Disconnect one of corner cables, does the screen come back without error. Try the same thing with the other side. Once you determine which corner cable gives you a "full screen", you can go from there with additional posts / pictures of your testing. Once there is confidence which side is indeed bad, you can decide if you want to go the LAST and final step of removing the tabs accordingly. This LAST step IS NOT re-tractable... once done, you can never put the tabs back.... BUT if successful, you will likely get a functioning set with as good picture as before.

one example https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48477

another example https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49791
    Last edited by budwich; 10-28-2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Dear Budwich

thanks a lot for your replay....
      I will remove the ribbon on the corners to see which side it is.

I don't understand this LAST step.

What do you mean with "removing the taps" ??
      Do you mean removing the ribbon cables from LCD itself? If I do this there will be pixel or line losses, not?

Comment

Originally posted by vakuum View Post
        Dear Budwich

thanks a lot for your replay....
        I will remove the ribbon on the corners to see which side it is.

I don't understand this LAST step.

What do you mean with "removing the taps" ??
        Do you mean removing the ribbon cables from LCD itself? If I do this there will be pixel or line losses, not?
        ??? :-))) your typing isn't so good "taps" is "tabs". Those are the bonded tab cables on the side of the panel. In this particular sharp (a few others), as outline in the forum (and suggested readings), there are tabs on both sides of the panel. The TV can still function IF you remove the "bad tabs" along the side that is causing the "error code" / "shutdown". Again lots of posts in this forum... note also large vizio sets use the same panel and have been "saved" in the same fashion. Anyways, read lots and test lots before going the "LAST step" to ensure that indeed it is a tab / driver issue on the side of the panel. Your "test" to date don't rule out other issues quite yet.

Comment

Please let us know if you are able to successfully remove the side tabs and buffer in order to fix your set. I know this works well with several vizio models and a couple sharp models but I have personally never been able to get this trick to work with any other model any other size. We have tried a few 65 inch and 80 inch models but without success.
          Also feel free to read this thread on instruction on how to remove the tabs.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=sharp+70

Comment

sorry guys my English is bad I know... ;-)

I have news, I have picked up all the metall parts arround the LCD, now I could check all the taBs! ;-)
            all of them looks good!

Problem is on the first PCB on the left side.... (see the first picture)
            you see on the right side of this PCB the white ribbon cable is connected at the middle of the TV! and on the left side the kapton ribbon cable is not connected, with this situation the TV does not work.... If I disconnect the white cable it works... so it has to be on this PCB..... right???

Problem is this are the connectings for the vertical lines so it is not possible to release them without picture losses right?

But perhaps I have good new.... after the TV shuts down a few seconds after startup a part of this small PCB is hot....
            It is a big small ceramic capacitor... (marked on second picture)

this capacitor got veery hot very fast..... so easiest would be to change it....

Does anybody has a Idea what value it has?? I can try to measure the one on the other pcb (which has about the same size) so I can get his capacity... but what is the voltage? 12V so something about 15+V ?
            I have no one here... do you think I can try it without this cap?? or is it better not to power up without it??
            Attached Files

Comment

:-( sorry, I was just "poking" at your typing (ie. taps versus tabs)

Anyways, you appeared to have isolated the potential problem to the lower left side bottom board... if I understand correctly. :-( because it may not be recoverable as the bottom boards / functions are not removable. In terms of component, since you have similar boards / components across the bottom, as a first check, I would just do some basic resistance measurements on the various boards to compare the component in question. That may tell you something about your "guess".
              Someone here might know how to read the "legend" on the surface mount to determine what its value is.

One thing about the tabs.... they may not look "bad" but could still be an issue... especially when viewed from the side that your picture shows. The "underside" may show a different story... and some times can be viewed by releasing the board "holder / clips" and any cabling to allow you to GENTLY tip the board over to view the backside of the tab cables looking for heating / burn issues. Further, one might also be able to feel the heat coming off a tab driver / cable with your finger tip.... comparing this test across various tabs.

In your second picture, I am not so sure that the tab driver doesn't have an issue as maybe your picture shows some sort of markings on the right side of the driver.

Further: do you have a similar picture of the panel corner where there should be some cabling similar to what you have shown in your picture... that perhaps connects any side boards to the bottom.... this is assuming there are side boards... :-(

PS. I like your method of how your tv sits on the work bench.
              Last edited by budwich; 10-31-2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Hey Vakuum...
                just wanted to add the reason for looking at the "corner cabling" is that the test that you did isolates both the side AND the left bottom portion of the set. This means that even though you think the component on the board may be suspect, it might be because of issues on the side instead impacting the board. Hence, you need to find a way to look at / isolate the side tabs.

Comment

Dear budwich

I don't understand exactly what you mean?
                  so the side tabs has no electric connection with the rest if I disconnect the ribboncable in the middle.... not correct??!?

But I have soldered out this bad capacitor which I have marked in the picture above.... and now the TV works... not good, but it works.....
                  it works with ALL tabs connected!! (and without this cap!)

But I have no good picture, all is very dark.... do you know what here can be wrong?
                  only in the service menue the picture is perfect and bright.....
                  see attached both pictures.

according this capacitor:
                  now I can measure 11.7V so it is a 16V Type i think....
                  If I measure a other (samelooking) cap on the PCB on the right side I measure 100uF (but soldered in, it is nearly not possible to solder out, the heatconductive is too much!)
                  But 100uF is nearly not possible the highest capacytype on digikey with this size has 22uF....
                  hmm what should I do?? Now it works without cap, I think this 22uF type is okay??!?
                  Attached Files

Comment

sorry here the correct pictures:
                    Attached Files

Comment

if you can, provide a close up picture similar to the one you have for the "capacitor location" but focus on the corner of the panel where the bottom left meets with the side.

Not sure if I can explain it well with words but here goes.
                      If you look at the tcon board.... the cables / signals travel from the tcon down to the bottom edge boards. How do you think the signal gets to the side tab cables attached to the panel? It travels from the bottom edge boards thru some connection going to the side of the panel. We are looking for that connection. Without knowing exactly what the component that you took is doing, you may have "disabled" (in some form) part of that signal going to both the left bottom board AND the side of the panel.
                      Hence, because of the way that the TV is designed, it can function but with some display issue... so it isn't quite there. Do you understand?

As part of your testing, you need to isolate the side in some fashion AND not disturb the bottom. Look around at the corner of the panel for some form of ribbon cable going from the bottom edge board to the side of the panel tabs.

Comment

attached 4 pictures of the 4 pcbs from one side of the display....
                        the other side is absolutely the same....

T-CON has two ribbon cables one for the right side and one for the left side....

So I think everything is good connected?????

i can feel some heat on each display driver chip at the bottom of the display tabs.... at the side tabs I can feel no heat, left and right side.....
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't understand why the picture looks good in HIDDEN SETUP MENUE

and why it looks bad and so dark in the normal way? What could be wrong too?

Comment

The connections budwich is referring to are in pics 2 and 3 from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by vakuum View Post
                              I don't understand why the picture looks good in HIDDEN SETUP MENUE

and why it looks bad and so dark in the normal way? What could be wrong too?
                              not sure what to say other than the fact that the setup menu doesn't really test the "full display" in terms of brightness, contrast, color, etc.

Anyways, as I suggested and was pointed out, in pictures 2 and 3, the cabling of interest is the "corner white cables" which interconnect the side to the bottom boards.

With your previous "test" that disconnected the "mid left side" bottom board, you got some form of display and NO error code. This is likely indicating an issue with the left "side" of things. So you only need to concentrate on that side.

If you disconnect the left side corner white cable (ie. disconnecting the left side boards from the bottom edge boards), are you able to get a display? :-( the bad news is you need to put back the component that you took out to ensure this test is only checking the side of the panel as with that component removed, I / you have no idea what it is impacting... :-( hopefully, once back... you will get an "expected result".... my fingers are crossed.

Further, if you get a display, can you input some sort of test pattern via a dvd or such... color smpte bars is very good as it tests most of the display. A lot of movie dvd's have extras that have the test pattern to help with tv setup or there are special "consumer test discs" like "WOW" by disney that have the equivalent... or there are also computer files that can generate the same type of pattern. Again present a picture of the display and we can go from there.
                              Last edited by budwich; 11-01-2016, 04:41 AM.

Comment

ignore wrong thread sorry
                                Last edited by vinceroger69; 11-01-2016, 04:44 AM.

Comment

hello all

The corner white cable and all the tabs are okay I think.....
                                  I have disconnected the corner white cable on the left side and the picture was exactly the same bad as with the cable.
                                  And I have disconnected the white cable on the right corner and here too, same bad picture.....

so now I think everything is good with the Tabs....

But why is the picture still bad?
                                  could it be that the T-CON board is damaged???? should I get a new one here??

Or do I have to adjust some parameters in the setup menue?

I will try to beam a testpicture and will post the picture.....

Comment

IF you didn't put back the component that you remove, your "testing" isn't likely showing what we need to know. Further as I suggested, provide a picture of a known test pattern so people can understand what they are looking at.

What you have reported, doesn't fall in line with what you first reported... ie. a fault code. Now you are reporting that regardless of which corner cable is removed nothing has changed. IF your set has everything connected (ie. tcon cables) and all components / boards then you should be seeing either an error code or a picture that shows differences depending on which side is disconnected.

Please review your post and testing.
                                    Last edited by budwich; 11-01-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

If I put back the defective capacitor (with short cirquit!) than the complete left side of the TV does not work, so this makes no sense....
                                      This defective part is directly after the white ribbon cable comming from T-CON.
                                      So with it the 12V are shortet and the TV gets 2-5 error.....

Yes the Main Problem with ERROR 2-5 is repaired now with removing the bad cap....
                                      But now picture is bad... (I will send testpattern picture!)
                                      It could be that the picture is bad because of this missing capacitor, but I don't really think so, than the picture is on the complete surface bad, not only on one side and this cap is directly on the 12V power......

Comment

but if one of the side tabs etc is faulty that whats maybe causing the capacitor to overheat etc you need to put that capacitor back on and run the tests. what does that faulty? capacitor read in ohms mode does it read short circuit?

Comment

Working...
                                        X