Samsung SyncMaster 940T blows inverter fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 940T blows inverter fuse

I'd trust Panasonic any day. If they say they squeezed it in there, I believe it. There's a lot more trust in their manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenps View Post
      Link to Newark's page on the FK 820s (my edit window expired):
      http://www.newark.com/panasonic/eeuf...ial/dp/32R9027
      Ah thanks, I did manage to find it. Funny, Digikey has an "FK" section that's all SMD caps.

Looks like Newark will be getting this order and not Digikey. How's their shipping costs?

If they say they squeezed it in there, I believe it. There's a lot more trust in their manufacturing.
      Yea, but keep in mind, it's 820uF. Some of the other MFGs also have the part in the size, but none of them have a part as low an ESR IIRC.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Ok so here's what I got on Newark per Quasar and StevePS' help, with guidance from Momaka's Capxon Replacement Table.

2 x Panasonic FK 25V 820uF - Newark 32R9027
        3 x Rubycon ZL 25V 220uF - 38M3273
        1 x Panasonic FC 10V 2200uF - 25M9153
        1 x Nichicon PM 10V 1000uF - 65R3529
        1 x Rubycon YXG 50V 22uF - 38M6869

This list accounts for what's in stock. That's why I have to mix manufacturers.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

FK come both as SMD and Radial.
          The letter right before 'FK' is different in the full Part Number.
          EEUFK = Radial
          EEEFK = SMD
          EEVFK = SMD

A 10x20mm Capxon KF would be around 1320/.065 or so.
          An FC or PW in 10mm would be good enough.
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1832-ND
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11223-ND

The Capxon KF data sheet is erratic.
          What I mean is using FC and PW for some KF is fine but for others FC and PW aren't good enough.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Looks like Newark will be getting this order and not Digikey. How's their shipping costs?
            Shipping is something like $5 via USPS Priority Mail. They do some interesting packaging - they put your caps in a plastic bag, put that in a bubble mailer (they do this part for each part # you order), and put those in a box.

Comment

@PCBONEZ:
              The 2 caps given, are too tall (30mm). Clearance is limited to 20mm.

I noticed that the Capxon sheet seemed "off", but couldn't place what was wrong. From what I see, it seems they take caps from everyone/everywhere, some from this pile and some from that, just to build a sheet.

Q
              Last edited by Quasar; 10-27-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar View Post
                @PCBONEZ:
                The 2 caps given, are too tall (30mm). Clearance is limited to 20mm.
                Sorry, didn't read back far enough.

Originally posted by Quasar View Post
                I noticed that the Capxon sheet seemed "off", but couldn't place what was wrong. From what I see, it seems they take caps from everyone/everywhere, some from this pile and some from that, just to build a sheet. Q
                It's like that in a lot of crap brand data sheets.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I received my replacement transistors today, and the replacements did exactly the same thing the originals did. Getting the old ones off the board was a real pain - they acted like they were glued down. I actually melted one of them in half trying to get it off. Either the originals overheated and I overheated the new ones trying to get them installed, or there was nothing wrong with the originals.

Comment

I also got some (hopefully) more useful pictures from my scope. These are comparisons between the good (blue and green) and bad (red and yellow) monitors showing both the pin 8 output from the inverter IC and another signal (one is pin 9, the other is the drains of the FETs). I think the most interesting one is the output from the FETs - instead of being an interesting-looking, square-like wave (like the blue line), the bad monitor has a sine-looking segment (yellow line). I'm not sure what that means or what causes it, but it corresponds to a slight difference in the signal at pin 4 of the FETs. The good monitor is flat in those locations, but the bad monitor shows a slight increase in voltage when the signal should be low (see Pin8-Pin9Gate-U202Drain.png for a comparison of all 3 signals from the bad monitor). Perhaps C213 or C214 is bad?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stevenps View Post
                      I also got some (hopefully) more useful pictures from my scope. These are comparisons between the good (blue and green) and bad (red and yellow) monitors showing both the pin 8 output from the inverter IC and another signal (one is pin 9, the other is the drains of the FETs). I think the most interesting one is the output from the FETs - instead of being an interesting-looking, square-like wave (like the blue line), the bad monitor has a sine-looking segment (yellow line). I'm not sure what that means or what causes it, but it corresponds to a slight difference in the signal at pin 4 of the FETs. The good monitor is flat in those locations, but the bad monitor shows a slight increase in voltage when the signal should be low (see Pin8-Pin9Gate-U202Drain.png for a comparison of all 3 signals from the bad monitor). Perhaps C213 or C214 is bad?
                      That appears to be about the only thing left. The picture of the board doesn't give enough detail to figure out the circuit, but there appears to be a resistor and capacitor in parallel between the output of the inverter controller and the gate of the FET.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                        That appears to be about the only thing left. The picture of the board doesn't give enough detail to figure out the circuit, but there appears to be a resistor and capacitor in parallel between the output of the inverter controller and the gate of the FET.
                        I don't think R217 is involved there - it looks like inverter IC pin 8 has R316 between it and the FETs, and pin 9 has C213 and C214 in series between it and the FETs. I'll get a better picture, and check if there's a trace running under C213.

Comment

>>Getting the old ones off the board was a real pain - they acted like they were glued down. <<

Most likely they were. Otherwise the hot air stream used to solder them could make them move or blow them off. Process is: apply solder paste to all pads and glue dots as needed, mount components, allow paste to cure, solder process.

Better way to take these off with a soldering iron is with Chip Quik and something to apply upward pressure (pin). A hot air station is the best as you can get all the solder liquid and then lift it or twist it to break glue.

Suggestion: Try comparing the good board to the bad ones using an ohmmeter. I had a similar chase in an power supply thread here last year. The problem was finally found by the poster using this method with a new board. Turned out to be a transistor in an area not even being considered. Start at the transformers and work backwards.

Toast

EDIT: Which schematic did you get from Elektrotanya? There are several. Only one I found with the inverter schematic is not the same as yours. Different driver FETs (AM4512C). BUT the inverter Driver IC is a Fairchild FAN7310 and is a 20 pin package. If you look at Page 8, it shows the timing of the outputs. None are supposed to come on at the same time and looks very similar to the 1st trace picture in your post #129.

If it turns out the BIT3195G is bad, I have not found one available other than through a RFQ type of site. They typically won't talk to you unless you need 100 pieces or more.]
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Toasty; 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM.
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                            >>Getting the old ones off the board was a real pain - they acted like they were glued down. <<

Most likely they were. Otherwise the hot air stream used to solder them could make them move or blow them off. Process is: apply solder paste to all pads and glue dots as needed, mount components, allow paste to cure, solder process.

Better way to take these off with a soldering iron is with Chip Quik and something to apply upward pressure (pin). A hot air station is the best as you can get all the solder liquid and then lift it or twist it to break glue.
                            Ah, that explains why it was so difficult. I ended up using a variant of that idea, but I was only able to lift one side at a time. I think I won't do this to the other monitors, as I'm more likely to damage it than make it better.

Suggestion: Try comparing the good board to the bad ones using an ohmmeter. I had a similar chase in an power supply thread here last year. The problem was finally found by the poster using this method with a new board. Turned out to be a transistor in an area not even being considered. Start at the transformers and work backwards.

Toast
                            I'll try that if nothing else works. There are a ton of components on the board, and it'll take a lot of work to check them all (and make sure I didn't skip any).

EDIT: Which schematic did you get from Elektrotanya? There are several. Only one I found with the inverter schematic is not the same as yours. Different driver FETs (AM4512C). BUT the inverter Driver IC is a Fairchild FAN7310 and is a 20 pin package. If you look at Page 8, it shows the timing of the outputs. None are supposed to come on at the same time and looks very similar to the 1st trace picture in your post #129.

If it turns out the BIT3195G is bad, I have not found one available other than through a RFQ type of site. They typically won't talk to you unless you need 100 pieces or more.
                            None of the service manuals listed on Elektrotanya match this monitor for some reason. I think they do match other models listed like the 740N, but not my 940Ts. The timings off the inverter IC as shown in the picture you mentioned match up reasonably well for both the good and bad monitors, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the inverter IC. It looks more likely that there's something going on between the inverter IC and the FETs, and I bought a capacitance meter yesterday to help me track this down. I'm suspecting C213 and C214 because the signal looks different at the gate of the FET on a bad monitor than it does on a good one. I'm hoping that one of these is bad and that I'll be able to substitute to fix it.

Comment

Is there a chassis number somewhere? I see 2 different ones for the 940T.

My advice for resistance checking was not clear enough. I was trying to suggest a broader scale of checking, rather than a component-by-component check. For example, pick a transformer leg and go back to the 4 BIT IC outputs, or to the power input to the board. It might help narrow this faster. Then, if you found a mismatch, you could go component by component back up the path of the difference.

Do the transformers get warmer on the failed monitors than on the "good" one over the same time period?

Toast
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Oh well, this recap didn't last long. A few minutes into using it it started making clicking sounds. I attributed this to coil vibration since I removed some tack. Now it won't turn on at all (Like the light won't even turn on, no power whatsoever).

Any ideas what could have blown here?
                                Last edited by mockingbird; 11-11-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

That's a photo of the recap? Can't be...?

Ticking is the PWM trying to fire. Sounds like a wrong cap or you didn't replace them all, sans main cap.

Voltages?

Toast
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

I replaced every last one of them. Sorry, this isn't the recap. I'll try to get a picture of it on tommorow. You think I should replace the big one maybe? I hope I didn't blow an IC. Otherwise I'll have to toss this in the trash.

Comment

Yours was not blowing a fuse. This one (stevenps) is confusing enough.

I suggest starting a new thread?

With any luck, the schematics we have will match yours.

Is this the one you were talking about on post #111? The tight fit one?

You don't identify the LCD in that post. Is it a 940T?

If not, what is it?

Good shot of the back and identify any IC's please.

Copy and paste all you talked about so far into the new thread.

Toast
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

another history of success in replacing the inverter FETs

replaced them with AF4502C from ebay. now its working great!

thank you guys! yo're awesome!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

back from the dead. but I have the 940t blue power light comes on but no picture. so I opened it 3 820uf caps were bad replaced them. still same prob power light on no picture. but computer recognizes it as being there just no display. is this related to needing the inveter fets with the part number above? thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                                          X