Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectroniq PLTV-3250 wont start

Hello,
    I'm working with a Spectroniq model PLTV-3250 LCD monitor.
    It uses an FSP194-3F01 power supply.
    The monitor won't start, there appears to be a standby led on
    the front but its not lit. In the supply I am getting DC voltage at one of the
    leads (about 160V) of all of the heat sinked transistors except
    one, so the supply is live, but it wont start. I found some caps
    that were swollen at the top, so I replaced them along with some other
    smaller ones just for good measure. Also I replaced a shorted surface
    mount transistor. Then I went through and checked other transistors and
    diodes which all checked good. Just wanted to find out how to rig this
    supply so I can run it on the bench. That way I can see if I still have a
    supply problem, or something else in the monitor. I've seen different material
    on how to manually start a computer supply but this one is a bit different.
    I'll post some pics so you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glen65; 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM.

Re: Spectroniq PLTV-3250 wont start

if you put AC on the input connector (1st pic, 2nd row) you should have voltage on the output (5th pic, 1st row). As long as the AC is connected (and if a switch exists it is in the on position) that PSU should be "live" (output V present) as it is only a PSU, I can't see an inverter section there.
    That is the way I've tested some (the key word here is SOME) PSUs (other ones right in the monitor or device in question). If you replaced bad/suspected components on the PSU, and there are V out then I guess the next move would be the main/Video board.
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      I'm not getting DC voltage at the 5, the 16 or the 24 volt outputs.
      I'm suspecting that maybe there is still some wrong in the supply, but
      I am not sure. I have seen articles on how to start a computer supply manually
      without it being installed in the system. It involved jumping two
      of the terminals together to start it, and also having some sort of load
      connected to it. This supply is very similar so I thought that this one could be rigged in a similar fashioned to start it on the bench without it being installed in the monitor. I was just curious as to which of the terminals I would need to
      focus on to get it to switch on. If this can be done it would be a quick way to
      isolate which area of the monitor I need to focus on.

Comment

Originally posted by glen65
        I am getting DC voltage at one of the
        leads (about 160V)
        160v DC? Are you sure? I'm not an expert, but so far I haven't seen that DC Voltage on any PSU.

Well, as for the power supply startup procedure, I don't know what to tell you. You are looking for someone like "connect a hard disk or a fan to the PSU, and then short the green cable (Power good) with one of the black ones (Ground) on the MB connector to turn the ATX PSU on"? If you look at this page , in the page title (IE7 Title bar in my case) you can see that it is referenced as a Flex ATX PSU, so maybe you are right and you need a procedure like that.
        "Flex ATX Form Factor power supplies are general class of small form factor power supplies designed to provide flexibility in designing compact, embedded and portable computing devices. The Flex class include sub-types TFX, CFX, and LFX Form Factors, each focusing on a different market segment." (quote from here.
        Have you tried connecting only the front panel/ control panel where the power on button is (like when you connect just the power on switch to test a computer Motherboard)? There are 4 connectors (besides the AC in one) in there. Can you connect something (load) to one of them?
        I really don't know what else to say that can help you.
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Just some FYI, before you go crazy trying to fix it. I know you have time, money, & sweat into the repair:

Saw 6 of these go on Ebay not 2 weeks ago for around $60 each.

Found this on the web: Electronica-USA.com

You might want to drop FSP Support a line and see if they can help.

Site: http://www.fspgroupusa.com/

and here's the page with this unit on it. You might get support to send you a schematic. Of course, with the correct amount of begging and pleading, you might get them to send you a new one since the TV manufacturer has bailed (see next bit).

BTW, this company SpectronIQ, is GONE. Saw lots of bad reports on the Ripoff Report site, this one regards their Chapter 11 filing.

Did you replace the defective caps with an equivalent type? I'm not just talking voltage and capacitance here. With an incorrect ESR, it could be they're not passing enough "juice" to kick the supply into oscillation.

Now, regarding the way to turn it on. Do you have any valid voltages at any of the outputs or connectors? I'd be looking for a good 5 volt line (or thereabouts) somewhere. Mind you, this should be a very low power (milliamps) supply voltage.

If you do, then a jumper from ground with a 150-250 ohm, 1/2 watt or better resistor should cause it to start. If you don't have a valid voltage, then your problem most likely lies farther back in the circuit.

Also, if you have the ability to reduce the input voltage (tapped isolation transformer or Variac) and bring it up slowly, by monitoring some voltages in the PSU you may discover that it starts to "come alive" and then collapses as you raise the voltage. That should give some clues as to what is failing.

Oh, eguevarae, your question:

"160v DC? Are you sure? I'm not an expert, but so far I haven't seen that DC Voltage on any PSU."

It's entirely possible, since the PSU is "un-loaded", that you could get that on a sensitive VOM as DC with an AC (RMS) element to it. The line voltage, partly rectified (1/2 wave DC) with that big cap on it could certainly produce that voltage. A scope on that voltage would show the actual waveform and perhaps a clue as to what is going on there.

Best of luck!

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
            If you do, then a jumper from ground with a 150-250 ohm, 1/2 watt or better resistor should cause it to start. If you don't have a valid voltage, then your problem most likely lies farther back in the circuit.
            A jumper from ground to which terminal?
            Are you talking about connecting the resistor across the
            5 volt line itself?
            Last edited by glen65; 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Oh, eguevarae, your question:

"160v DC? Are you sure? I'm not an expert, but so far I haven't seen that DC Voltage on any PSU."

It's entirely possible, since the PSU is "un-loaded", that you could get that on a sensitive VOM as DC with an AC (RMS) element to it. The line voltage, partly rectified (1/2 wave DC) with that big cap on it could certainly produce that voltage. A scope on that voltage would show the actual waveform and perhaps a clue as to what is going on there.

Toast
              So indeed, this is more an ATX, computer-style SMPS, than a "regular" LCD PSU? I know that after the big cap and partially rectified voltage (half wave) there could be ("could be" because I'm not an electronics expert, I'm learning on the go...) at least a 120v (input V) half-rectified. The point here is that so far, I haven't seen that myself, either because I have not traced that back into the circuit or just I had checked ones with an external brick.
              Good to have people around here that knows lots of things.
              Thanks.

And that 1/2 w resistor might be the load required to start the ATX "engine", right?
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

A jumper from ground to which terminal?
                Don't know. You didn't answer my questions.
                Read the paragraph again that starts with "Now, regarding the way..."

Did you try to contact FSP support for a schematic or a replacement?

Are you talking about connecting the resistor across the 5 volt line itself?
                No!

For safety's sake, I do hope you are testing this with an isolation transformer.
                Please remember that this circuit is live to the house current.
                Getting yourself across any point to ground could be deadly.

Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                  So indeed, this is more an ATX, computer-style SMPS, than a "regular" LCD PSU?
                  Yes

I know that after the big cap and partially rectified voltage (half wave) there could be ("could be" because I'm not an electronics expert, I'm learning on the go...) at least a 120v (input V) half-rectified...
                  AC voltages are normally specified in terms of their RMS values. 115v AC is an RMS value. The RMS (Root Mean Square) voltage is called the effective voltage, as opposed to the Peak voltage which corresponds to the Maximum AMPLITUDE of the voltage variations. It's the "working part" of the voltage, or the value where the work gets done that we reference when we speak of the 115 volt power at the outlet.

If you take 115 volts and multiply it by 1.414 you get 162.61 volt. Voila! The 160 volts he's talking about. The 162 volts is the Peak voltage. Since it is passing through at least one of the rectifiers, and he's measuring on a DC scale, he'll see that peak voltage, especially across the cap.

With there being no load on the supply, as it is not working, discharging that cap is a critical safety matter before working on this supply.

Here's some light reading:
                  Power Transformer The bottom part of the text gets into the tasty bits. But, the whole page makes for good reading.

Root Mean Square

What is RMS value

...that 1/2 w resistor might be the load required to start the ATX "engine", right?
                  Actually, not a "load" but a measure of safety in the event you cross the wrong terminals. I don't want glen65 to cross a high power source by accident and damage the supply. The resistor prevents that, but on the correct line, it will pass a sufficient amount of current to start the PSU.

Cheers!
                  Toast
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Oohhhhhhhhh!
                    Actually, not a "load" but a measure of safety in the event you cross the wrong terminals. I don't want glen65 to cross a high power source by accident and damage the supply. The resistor prevents that, but on the correct line, it will pass a sufficient amount of current to start the PSU.
                    So, it's like a circuit breaker or a fuse? (in Mortal language )
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Current limiter.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                        Current limiter.
                        OK. Thanks for the Technical term.
                        Learning something new every day.
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Don't know. You didn't answer my questions.
                          Read the paragraph again that starts with "Now, regarding the way..."

Did you try to contact FSP support for a schematic or a replacement?
                          So far they will not contact me back.

For safety's sake, I do hope you are testing this with an isolation transformer.
                          Yes

Please remember that this circuit is live to the house current.
                          Getting yourself across any point to ground could be deadly.[/B]
                          Yep,
                          I simply use the same high level of caution that I use when working around
                          the 4000 volt high voltage section of Microwave ovens.
                          Last edited by glen65; 02-09-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Save yourself the continuing headache:

Ebay FSP194-3F01 Only 4 left - Hurry!

For $69 you're up and running.

Then you can perhaps use that one to figure out the busted one.

If you go that way and are gonna trash the dead unit, I'd be interested in taking a poke at it. LMK

FYI: FSP replied to my inquiry and their policy does not allow them to supply schematics.

Toast
                            Last edited by Toasty; 02-10-2009, 01:12 AM.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Save yourself the continuing headache:

Ebay FSP194-3F01 Only 4 left - Hurry!

For $69 you're up and running.
                              I ordered one directly from their website rather than Ebay which
                              saved me a few bucks on the shipping.

Then you can perhaps use that one to figure out the busted one.
                              About the only thing that would keep this unit from getting
                              repaired is maybe the inductors. They are most likely custom
                              made and cannot be ordered as a replacement.

If you go that way and are gonna trash the dead unit, I'd be interested in taking a poke at it. LMK
                              The only reason I am replacing it is because of the time element.
                              I will repair it and then use it is as a test supply.

FYI: FSP replied to my inquiry and their policy does not allow them to supply schematics.

Toast
                              That's certainly nothing new, there are a number of companies that
                              have a similar policy. Some wont give you data unless you are a
                              warranty authorized service center.

Comment

Excellent. Glad to see this resolved. Now you have another rainy day project.

Please post back when you get the original repaired. It interests me to see what exactly failed.

About the only thing that would keep this unit from getting repaired is maybe the inductors.
                                They are most likely custom made and cannot be ordered as a replacement.
                                What about the IC's on the underside? Are they "standard issue" or proprietary?

What does the SMT you replaced control further along in the circuit?

You said it was shorted, so what caused that?

Is one of the regulator transistors or MOSFET's also blown perhaps? Open or shorted?

Cheers!
                                Toast
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Excellent. Glad to see this resolved. Now you have another rainy day project.
                                  I'll call it resolved when I actually see the monitor running properly.

Please post back when you get the original repaired. It interests me to see what exactly failed.
                                  You bet

What about the IC's on the underside? Are they "standard issue" or proprietary?
                                  They are standard issue. I found a shorted transistor in very close
                                  proximity of one of them. It may have damaged the IC.

What does the SMT you replaced control further along in the circuit?
                                  Not really sure, I think it may be controlled by the adjacent IC.
                                  There's where a schematic would have been useful.

You said it was shorted, so what caused that? Is one of the regulator transistors or MOSFET's also blown perhaps? Open or shorted?
                                  I checked all other transistors, diodes, and resistors and all checked
                                  ok. I suppose its possible that the caps I had to replace were responsible.
                                  Some were literally bulging out at the top.

Later
                                  Last edited by glen65; 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?

Didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?

The 6 year old in the back seat,
                                    Toast
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?didjagetit?

Didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?didjafixit?

The 6 year old in the back seat,
                                      Toast
                                      Make him sign up with his own name and post under it, or else your reputation will suffer with postings like that ..
                                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Update:

Ok the new supply came in, I connected it to the monitor
                                        and all works fine. However I still wanted to repair the old one.
                                        So I took both supplies to the bench and connected a source to them
                                        in order to do some comparison testing to find out why I wasn't getting
                                        the 5 volt standby voltage. I check for voltage on the new supply
                                        in the area where I had to replace a surface mount transistor (Q7) on the
                                        old supply, it measured just under 15 volts. I checked the same areas
                                        on the old supply and the reading was about 1.5 volts. I went to diode
                                        test and rechecked the transistors and diodes in that area of the board,
                                        and all looked ok. Next I decided to do some comparison resistance checks,
                                        for this I decided to beak out my Simpson analog meter. I noticed that
                                        the resistance between two of the terminals on Q7 was lower than
                                        compared to the new supply.

I started desoldering one leg of some
                                        of the components to find out which one was abnormally lowering the
                                        resistance of the circuit. I eventually made it to a surface mount
                                        15 volt zener diode. Once disconnected the resistance of the
                                        circuit went back to normal to match what I was getting from
                                        the new supply. I checked the diode out of circuit with my
                                        analog meter and sure enough that's what was throwing the
                                        resistance off. The diode was neither shorted nor open and
                                        had originally checked ok using diode check on a digital meter
                                        when in circuit. I replaced the diode then put the supply back
                                        into the monitor and it checked ok.

To turn the supply on you need to inject 3.3 volts at the terminal
                                        marked o/f on the socket where the 5 volt line is at.
                                        I imaging if one wanted to start it at the bench it
                                        it could be done by simply tapping off of the 5 volt standby line,
                                        with something to reduce the voltage.

Comment

Working...
                                        X