E-machine T6420 MSI MS-7207 Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-machine T6420 MSI MS-7207 Motherboard

First I'd like to thank you all for a very interesting forum. I'm new to this site and have found the information on here first rate. Enough with the brown nosing I hope someone can give me some pointers with this motherboard.

This machine came to me with these known facts. System was working fine, then became hard to start, took a couple times to get it running. Then the monitor display had lines thru it. Now the unit will not post at all.

I have removed the psu( HIPRO 300W )and checked it on another board it has about a 5% drift on the 5v line but still runs.I tried a different psu known
    to be good with no change on the boards boot. The unit at start powers the case fan and the cpu fan. The key board lights flash once the dvd drives light stays on continuously. The hard drive lite flashes once at start, once at shut down. I checked the hard drive and it is fine. I can see no blown caps on the board.

I have not replaced caps before, but this sounds like a candidate after reading the posts here. Would anyone have any insight on something I might have missed on this board. Is this worth a shot at re=capping ?

Re: E-machine T6420 MSI MS-7207 Motherboard

Please tell us the brands and series of the capacitors on the board. If you are not sure how to find this information, post all the capacitor markings you can see. With this information, we can tell you if the capacitors you have are ones that are prone to failure. Not all capacitors show visible signs when they fail.

Comment

Ok heres what I can see as far as cap markings.

4 - NKZ 16V 1500uF
      5 -Matsushita (Boxed M logo) 6.3v 3300uF
      Teapo - 6.3v 470uF
      Fujitso (line over F logo) 6.3v 680uF
      Sanyo
      G-Luxon - 16v 100 uF
      10 matsushita (boxed M logo) 6.3v 1000uF
      Rubicon
      Last edited by BallCap; 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a mixed bag. Some good ones, and some not so good ones.

4 - NKZ 16V 1500uF - I am not familiar with this brand/series. Can you double check the letters?
        5 -Matsushita (Boxed M logo) 6.3v 3300uF - Reliable.
        Teapo - 6.3v 470uF - Could be an issue, Teapo don't always bulge when they go bad.
        Fujitso (line over F logo) 6.3v 680uF - Reliable.
        Sanyo - Reliable.
        G-Luxon - 16v 100 uF - Could be an issue, but probably not as they're smaller values.
        10 matsushita (boxed M logo) 6.3v 1000uF - Reliable
        Rubicon - Reliable

As for the "NKZ" - Could they possibly be KZE, KZG, or KZJ? That's the only think I can think of that shares some of the letters. KZE is reliable. KZG and KZJ are not.

You mentioned lines on the screen. This is making me think it may be a bad video controller. Are you using the onboard video, or do you have an addin video card? If you're using the onboard controller, your chipset may be fried. Nvidia chipsets aren't always the most reliable.

Comment

Thanks for the reply;

KZG is the correct cap my eyes were crossed by the time I got to them sorry.

I have tried to boot the system with the on board chip and also with an add on card. The result was the same I cannot get it to boot to bios. I hoped using the add on card I could bye-pass the problem but I got no where with it. Thats why I thought I would get some other views before I tell the guy hes SOL.

There are two Teapo 6.3v 470uF caps and a G-Luxon 16v 100 uF next to this nvidia 6150 chip. I agree with you the chip sounds ify but I can't get a good add on card to kick it either.

Comment

KZG could be bad...Well, here are the replacements you would need, assuming it is capacitors:

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=38
            and
            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51

If the chipset were fried, I wouldn't expect it to boot reliably. The same chip that controls onboard video controls a whole array of system functions. Unfortunately, I think the chipset is the more likely cause in this case. Do you have an ESR meter? If you have one of those, you can measure the old capacitors as you remove them to see if they are in fact bad or not.

Comment

KZG will fail without bloating and are the most likely suspect.
              Second up would be the Teapo.

The G-Luxon are too small to be highly suspect given failure scenario you described.
              The tiny ones don't fail often and usually when they do the board will at least boot but will be unstable or some specific function won't work.
              [USB, Sound, LAN]

Closely insect you chipset and MOSFETs for shinny spots, chips, or cracks indicating overheating/overload before you go for replacing caps.
              MOSFETs can generally be replaced but you need more parts than just caps.
              If the chipset took a hit then the board is most likely to be a wasted effort.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Again thanks for the response. I see nothing odd about chipset or MOSFETs. Nothing looks like a hot spot or burn has occurred. I don't have a ESR meter so thats out. I guess
                I'll give the lad the SOL line and give him his options. Again thanks for the fast replies, it helps to get a few opinions when you have an odd ball issue arise.

Comment

If you have the ability, have you tried to reflow the video chipset. It controls all function of the PCI-E slot as well as the onboard video, and if I read right you already have some video although bad. I have had to do this with a few of the Gateway and EMachine motherboards. Also if you do get the north bridge up and going put a mini fan on the heatsink.

Comment

I'm also working on a MS-7207 K8NGM2 motherboard which used to start sometimes. After replacing the five 3300uF 6.3 volt caps next to the cpu socket it now just spins the fans and no post beep or video. The caps were swollen badly at the tops so that is why I replaced them. I can't afford to buy another board right now because they raised my house insurance $5,000 a year. I do not know what to check next. Does anyone think that the bios would have something to do with this problem? I can post photos later if needed. Thanks

Comment

I did 2 of these boards a few weeks ago and they are still working fine. There is a thread here. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...067#post150067

Comment

I replaced the caps next to the cpu already but that seemed to make things worse as now it does not boot at all. Do I need to get liquid flux to do the chipset reflows? I have never done a reflow before.

Comment

This is the only reflows I tried and I took my time. I removed the ram, cpu and used the smallest nozzle that came with my hot air as I didn't want to heat up eveything around the chips. This is the flux I got from ebay. He has single bottles also. I used the dropper (comes with it) and tilted the board till it ran out the other side of chip. Then I heated the backside of board chip and then heated the chip (constantly moving the air around the entire chip) to 230C (checking with digital temp gun) and then turned my heat down and lowered the temp of the chip. Then let it sit 15 minutes to get to room temp. I ended up doing the northbridge and the video as doing one or the other didn't work, but both boards worked after doing both chips. http://cgi.ebay.com/KESTER-951-FLUX-...item20b7d88292
                          Last edited by steve2; 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X