Recapping MSI barebone, need help with odd cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping MSI barebone, need help with odd cap

Greetings everyone. Got this MSI barebone id like to fix, it had quite few caps blown/leaking so i thought id replace at least all the big ones and see if i can get it running. Will probably replace the smaller ones as well if i can just get it to post ok.

Anyways im having a bit of trouble with selecting good replacements for the caps. Here is a pic of each of the 5 different caps. Think i identified the brand of them all.

The oddest of the bunch is probably the OST , since its not listed in their datasheet. Its 8mm diameter and 14mm long. Anyone have any clue about what values to go for on that one? Found datasheets covering the rest of them so if i just had a good resource/list to look at and some pointers as to what values to look at i could probably figure the rest out.
    Attached Files

Re: Recapping MSI barebone, need help with odd cap

You can infer the specs from similar caps in the datasheet.

ESR and ripple are related to the physical size of the capacitor.

8x12mm is 0.05 ohms and 850 mA.
    8x20mm is 0.021 ohms and 1650 mA.

so...using some math, 8x14 would be approximately:
    0.033 ohms and 1167 mA

Rubycon MBZ 6.3V 1000 uF at 8x11.5mm is 0.036 ohms and 1140 mA - almost an exact match in specs.

Rubycon MCZ 10V 1000 uF at 8x16mm is 0.021 ohms and 1850 mA and exceeds the specifications of the original.

It looks like you removed some Panasonic FJ (Matsushita M logo) capacitors, and Rubycon MBZ. The Panasonics and Rubycon are usually very reliable and rarely need to be replaced.
    Last edited by yyonline; 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Re: Recapping MSI barebone, need help with odd cap

Originally posted by yyonline View Post

You can infer the specs from similar caps in the datasheet.

ESR and ripple are related to the physical size of the capacitor.

8x12mm is 0.05 ohms and 850 mA.
      8x20mm is 0.021 ohms and 1650 mA.

so...using some math, 8x14 would be approximately:
      0.033 ohms and 1167 mA

Rubycon MBZ 6.3V 1000 uF at 8x11.5mm is 0.036 ohms and 1140 mA - almost an exact match in specs.

Rubycon MCZ 10V 1000 uF at 8x16mm is 0.021 ohms and 1850 mA and exceeds the specifications of the original.

It looks like you removed some Panasonic FJ (Matsushita M logo) capacitors, and Rubycon MBZ. The Panasonics and Rubycon are usually very reliable and rarely need to be replaced.
      Thank you for your reply

I agree they are reliable (panasonic and ruby), but since its a barebone, and also with an extra gfx card in the mix and barely any cooling i thought id change them just to be safe.

Just measured the pictured panasonic, its at 1170uF 0.05 ESR, the ruby 437uF ESR 0.07. While not vastly out of spec id better be safe then take apart that barebone again, you wouldnt belive how hard it is to dig between the cables to take the board out

Also i need to adress the cooling i think, but thats for another thread.

Comment

Working...
      X