Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SuitCase PC. :/

Originally posted by c_hegge
    Phaihn, How are you going with your suitcase so far? I've nearly got mine done. I just need some RAM and a small enough monitor to fit in the top (about 15" square for 16" Widescreen)
    Gave up i got bored and i decided i didnt like the size of my suitcase so i threw it out ill try again some other time but i want to try a mini itx board instead and i am moveing back to edmonton alberta soon so i needed to make space.
    Last edited by Phaihn; 12-18-2009, 02:45 PM.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Edmonton a pretty small town is it?
      Can't fit another PC in?

I just got one of these.
      http://www.avalue.com.tw/products/EBM-945GME.cfm
      C2D w/PCI-e and only 8" x 5.75". - About the footprint of a CD Rom drive.
      Ad pic shows KZG but it came with all Sanyo.
      Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet.
      Still waiting on a T2400 CPU & RAM to get here.
      They only had one. *sniff*
      I could fit about 3 of these in a standard ATX case.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
        Edmonton a pretty small town is it?
        Can't fit another PC in?

I just got one of these.
        http://www.avalue.com.tw/products/EBM-945GME.cfm
        C2D w/PCI-e and only 8" x 5.75". - About the footprint of a CD Rom drive.
        Ad pic shows KZG but it came with all Sanyo.
        Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet.
        Still waiting on a T2400 CPU & RAM to get here.
        They only had one. *sniff*
        I could fit about 3 of these in a standard ATX case.

Not really Edmontons more of a metro but i wasnt liking how the Thing was turning out anyway ill try to get back at it when i find a difrnt case.
        My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Here's how I'm giong with my Briefcase PC. The components I'll be using:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P
          CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3200+
          RAM: Don't have any DDR2 yet.
          HDD: 20GB Seagate U series 5 (for now)
          Optical Drive: Lite-On CD Burner (for now)
          PSU: 450W Codegen
          Monitor: Don't have one that fits in the top yet. (needs to be 15" square or 16" widescreen). All I have is a 17".
          Attached Files
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Nice, but why did you use that crappy PSU? (or has it been modded and recapped?)

Comment

The only mod I did to that PSU was adding some extra connectors. Other than that it is as it left the factory. I used it for 3 reasons:

1. They're not that bad (ie. not as bad as Deer or that 250W Worstec model in some Evilmachines).
              2. It doesn't make a high pitched squeal under load like all my re-capped Antec Smartpowers do.
              3. Smartpowers are slightly longer and don't fit.
              Last edited by c_hegge; 12-21-2009, 12:31 AM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn
                Heres something i am working on.
                Any advice?
                I am trying to figure out how to organize everything.
                Just stick it in a standard atx tower :P You'll need some cooling definitely for that

Comment

Originally posted by dan86
                  Just stick it in a standard atx tower :P You'll need some cooling definitely for that
                  then it wouldnt be mobile
                  My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

1. They're not that bad (ie. not as bad as Deer or that 250W Worstec model in some Evilmachines).

1. I would argue that most deer's would beat out a codegen no problem. Codegen is known for 'ploding even under a light load. Where as most deer do fine at 200-250W loads. some are even overbuilt true 600W units

2. Bestec's aren't bad at all after a recap. They actually run their ratings as well as having full protection circuits, transient filters, medium quality fans, thick gauge wiring, etc...

Comment

370, I've NEVER seen a codegen go bang or take a board out (unless it gets hit by lightning). I opened the case on this one and it looks better than many of the gutless wonders I see on this site. I can post a pic of the inside if you like.

Comment

370, I've NEVER seen a codegen go bang or take a board out (unless it gets hit by lightning). I opened the case on this one and it looks better than many of the gutless wonders I see on this site. I can post a pic of the inside if you like.
                        please do post pics.
                        all the codegen units i have seen here were total gutless junk.

Comment

Got some pics now. Here they are.
                          Attached Files

Comment

NOOOO!!!

i see 4 diodes in place of a bridge rectifier. not even close to ok.

not enough caps on the secondary.

the wire is too thin.

sorry, but your PSU is a POS.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Ugh, looks too much like a leadman. You couldn't even put a bridge rectifier in there with how those diodes are arranged.

I'd say it's 200W at best. But I would need to see what is on the primary and secondary heatsink.

I'm going to assume it is like most cheapies and has two 13007 knock-off's which the good ones from fairchild are really only good for a 300W unit.

Secondary chokes have some thin wiring, as well as being small. All the secondary rectifiers are to-220 which leads me to believe they are probalby all 20A rectifiers, but most of the time they cheap out for the 12v rail and use a 12A or a 16A unit there. Thought it looks like there are two rectifiers on the 12v rail. Still, that dosen't mean something else wouldn't go poof in it, especially since the primary transformer is microscopic.
                              Last edited by 370forlife; 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Looks worse than Deer/Allied, but not horrible like Leadman/Sun Pro (probably closer to L&C, but with better output filtering).
                                The input rectifying diodes are really are small, but heatsinks seem okay. At least there is no two-diode treatment for a 12v "schottky" rectifier . That's a big no-no for any system.
                                Might be okay for the system you're using (I'm not too keen about that idea, though).

And what the Hec are those caps ?

Comment

So it's a junk PSU, but it's the only PSU I have that fits and doesn't make a high-pitched squeal under load. I'm also not looking to spend more than I really have to on this project, so I'll use it for now. I might put a better one in it later.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                    Looks worse than Deer/Allied, but not horrible like Leadman/Sun Pro (probably closer to L&C, but with better output filtering).

I don't know, even that leadman looks pretty good compared to it.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, but most newer Leadman/Sun Pro units I've seen here seem much worse than this Codegen.
                                      ----
                                      c_hegge: If the voltages are reasonable and stable, PSU runs cool, and if this whole system will be used only once in a while for light duty stuff, then the Codegen will probably be okay (at least until the caps go bad).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                        If the voltages are reasonable and stable, PSU runs cool, and if this whole system will be used only once in a while for light duty stuff, then the Codegen will probably be okay (at least until the caps go bad).
                                        All conditions there are true. The voltages are stable, it runs cool and it won't be used that often and when it does get used, it will probably just be for basic stuff like internet, word processing, etc. It will probably be running linux (either ubuntu or mandriva).

Comment

To be fair to Codegen...before I knew about badcaps. I have ran a crappy Codegen in a Socket A system for about 3-4 years without problems.
                                          It even works till today! However I do not use it anymore and it has not been turned on in close to 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                                          X