Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony CECH-ZED1U Playstation 3D LED TV - Two Red Flash

Originally posted by cometin View Post
    Finaly I picked up those items , eeprom and chip quik , first of all I want to thanks to this forum and all members for all the knowledge showed in every post , and now the results :
    My sony 3D display works again , the eeprom is the cause to be faulty , I want to share the troubles to install it , with chip quik is easy to remove the faulty eeprom but the difficult is to mount the new one, you need another soldering gun or soldering pen because the one that i used to remove the faulty eeprom reject the solder the flux causes it , besides need enough light and a lenses to magnify the area where U4 is located and the rest is all of yours , good pulse to join pin by pin to board, hope this post be useful and hope the display works for a long long time
    good job! congratulations!!!

Comment

Hi,

My board is the 7400 and my eeprom is the MX25L6406E.
      I am trying to fix my Playstation Display here. But I am not sure if the problem is the eeprom... I didn't buy a new eeprom yet, but I think it may be the power supply.

When I turn the the power on, I can read the +5v from the power supply, but I cannot read the +12v and +24v. Maybe because the eeprom is bad and it is not switching on the main power supply +12v and 24+?
      Does anyone with eeprom problem tried to read the +24v and +12v power supply rails before replacing the eeprom?

I also noticed the eeprom is always supplied with 3.45v, even in stand-by!! Maybe that's why they go bad...

Comment

Originally posted by nickba View Post
        Hi,

My board is the 7400 and my eeprom is the MX25L6406E.
        I am trying to fix my Playstation Display here. But I am not sure if the problem is the eeprom... I didn't buy a new eeprom yet, but I think it may be the power supply.

When I turn the the power on, I can read the +5v from the power supply, but I cannot read the +12v and +24v. Maybe because the eeprom is bad and it is not switching on the main power supply +12v and 24+?
        Does anyone with eeprom problem tried to read the +24v and +12v power supply rails before replacing the eeprom?

I also noticed the eeprom is always supplied with 3.45v, even in stand-by!! Maybe that's why they go bad...
        I will reply to myself!!!
        I just bought a new flash chip, programmed it and replaced the one in my display and now it is working again!!!
        So with a bad eeprom/flash chip you may not get the +12v and +24V from the power supply!!!

Comment

finally got my programmed chip, MX25L6406E, that I've replaced and works ok for now...time and use will decide the effectiveness of the change

Comment

It is useless if changing EEPROM is temporary. Hoping that display will turn-on okay every time is a shit of bull. Just like superstitious shamans.

Шаал утгагүй юм!

Comment

Seems there might be a firmware bug which is corrupting the memory.

Pin 3 is a WRITE PROTECT pin. If this is pulled low (0V) the memory cannot be written, the chip will not allow it.

There may be some utility in forcing this pin low. Perhaps the software has a bug and is overwriting portions of memory, or on power-up/down memory corruption occurs due to poor firmware design.

The only real issue with this is if Sony also use the memory to store things like the channel table or user volume control, it may "forget" them after a power cycle. So you might have to set all desired defaults then apply the write protect. Oh and of course firmware update would be unavailable.

Anyone with a set open up now willing to check pin 3 of MX25L6406E? Is it 3.3V or 0V?
              Last edited by tom66; 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by deegii11 View Post
                It is useless if changing EEPROM is temporary. Hoping that display will turn-on okay every time is a shit of bull. Just like superstitious shamans.

Шаал утгагүй юм!
                That is my worry.

It really irks me that Sony sold a $500 TV that apparently has a known manufacturer defect and are doing NOTHING for the customers.

Even Microsoft extended the Xbox warranties for RROD.

I have sworn off buying any new Sony products because I don't have a problem paying a premium for a premium product, but when it doesn't even last as long as the Black Friday brown box special I got for $50 (that actually has at least twice the screen time on it) and they don't even say sorry just "pay use $100 and we will fix our mistake" I will take my business elsewhere.

Comment

90% of the time when I replace an EEPROM in a TV all the user data is lost because the EEPROM stores that data. On these playstation TVs it's the same situation, source selection, volume and picture settings are stored on the EEPROM.

Pin 3 is 3.416v on this set I have here.

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  Seems there might be a firmware bug which is corrupting the memory.

Pin 3 is a WRITE PROTECT pin. If this is pulled low (0V) the memory cannot be written, the chip will not allow it.

There may be some utility in forcing this pin low. Perhaps the software has a bug and is overwriting portions of memory, or on power-up/down memory corruption occurs due to poor firmware design.

The only real issue with this is if Sony also use the memory to store things like the channel table or user volume control, it may "forget" them after a power cycle. So you might have to set all desired defaults then apply the write protect. Oh and of course firmware update would be unavailable.

Anyone with a set open up now willing to check pin 3 of MX25L6406E? Is it 3.3V or 0V?

Comment

As an experiment, it'd be interesting to see what would happen if you disconnected pin 3 from the board and tied it low. Would it simply allow read only settings - if you only use the TV occasionally or don't mind choosing the source on each power up it could work fine and prevent repeat failure.
                    Last edited by tom66; 04-02-2014, 08:13 AM.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Another success story to report! Thanks for this forum and especially to zhaojun297 for the BINs and rostomchik (followed his shopping list, although I think one of his links for the adapter sends you to the wrong one. You need the SOIC 208 mil to dip8 adapter for this).

My only two cents is that I did manage to put a socket (I live in the UK so got it from http://www.bios-repair.com/Products/SMD-Sockets.html the SOIC8 pin 208mil one of course). It was a bit difficult (a couple of tense moments) but doable (see pic enclosed) and I am happy now because it if happens again - no more soldering just will put another flashed IC!

Fixed board 7200 with MX25L6406E!

Necesitan ayuda paisanos Mexicanos?
                      Attached Files

Comment

The only problem I've had with the PS3 3D display was the screen going blank for a second or two, and then picture comes back. Scouring the net, I came upon the official thread on the PS3 forum and someone mentioned to put a USB fan at the back of the TV.

Believe it or not, that worked for me. A USB fan stuck to the back has fixed the blacking out issue. No matter what level of blacklight I use on the TV, it hasn't blacked out since. I would love a permanent solution to this problem, but it looks like the USB fan was the solution.

Comment

OK MiguelUK, what soldering iron did you use to solder the socket. From looking at the socket the legs are under the socket, not exposed like the original. I to like the idea of the socket for the same reason stated. I have 4 of these units, all seemly with the same problem. And one that has been working for the last year with no problems. Bought it from some one off a classified ad site, said the unit had been refurbished by Sony.

Now to the person who suggested lifting #3 leg, WP so that the code couldn't be corrupted? What if we wired a switch so that when we do make changes we are able to save them. Once saved then turn switch "off" to eliminate it writting again, does that sound feasible??

Comment

After two weeks, It keeps working only modified std settings hdmi control off and quick start yes. No issues for now

Comment

Originally posted by draziw View Post
                              Now to the person who suggested lifting #3 leg, WP so that the code couldn't be corrupted? What if we wired a switch so that when we do make changes we are able to save them. Once saved then turn switch "off" to eliminate it writting again, does that sound feasible??
                              I could see that working fine. Only concern will be if TV wants to continuously or occasionally write to memory, it might get stuck in a wait-loop.

Comment

Originally posted by draziw View Post
                                OK MiguelUK, what soldering iron did you use to solder the socket. From looking at the socket the legs are under the socket, not exposed like the original. I to like the idea of the socket for the same reason stated. I have 4 of these units, all seemly with the same problem. And one that has been working for the last year with no problems. Bought it from some one off a classified ad site, said the unit had been refurbished by Sony.

I just used a normal soldering iron station (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solder...tions/0186719/ I think with 0.8mm tip). Use lots of Flux.
                                Yes the socket legs are under the socket which might seem a bit difficult but I think removing the original IC was harder. You do need a good magnifier lamp. The angle is not so bad with the magnification. Fix one of the corners first and then center the socket and do the rest of the legs. I had to remove some excess solder from the contacts at some point as the sockets needs to sit flat. I think the trick is to use plenty of flux and you should be fine.

Comment

(I think one of his links for the adapter sends you to the wrong one. You need the SOIC 208 mil to dip8 adapter for this).
                                  correction:the adapter i have linked was for the programmer(to flash the bios chip) not for soldering on the MB ;
                                  thanks
                                  Last edited by rostomchik; 04-10-2014, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BEEKAY22 View Post
                                    The only problem I've had with the PS3 3D display was the screen going blank for a second or two, and then picture comes back. Scouring the net, I came upon the official thread on the PS3 forum and someone mentioned to put a USB fan at the back of the TV.

Believe it or not, that worked for me. A USB fan stuck to the back has fixed the blacking out issue. No matter what level of blacklight I use on the TV, it hasn't blacked out since. I would love a permanent solution to this problem, but it looks like the USB fan was the solution.
                                    i think you need to change your hdmi cable, it must to be hi quality.
                                    Last edited by rostomchik; 04-15-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rostomchik View Post
                                      i think you need to change your hdmi cable, it must to be hi quality.
                                      I've noticed that this happens randomly, I've tried with three cables and got the same thing. Quick start setting doesnt affect this, I will try HDMI control (always off in my set).
                                      How do you install the usb fan???
                                      TKs

Comment

Does the new EEPROM fix the screen blanking out for 2-3 seconds at a time after prolonged usage (>45 minutes)? I suppose that the two problems might be one and the same as the flickering screen might just be a symptom of the future and larger problem.

Also, is the EEPROM corruption due to overheat on the main board? It seems like people who install a fan don't have any problems with this TV. Another theory that I have heard is that the corruption is due to a short, similar to the original Xbox short circuit problem. Actually, the "wiggling the power connector" thing sounds exactly like the arcing issue on the original Xbox that caused a few houses to go up in flames.

Interesting enough, I heard that using the replacement power cord that Microsoft sent out after the recall actually solves the issues with the Playstation Display. Could this possibly be true?

Comment

hello i have the programmer, anyone have the software, please.
                                          thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X