This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

From the lack of transistors and its performance it IS the good ol' transformer I have been talking about! That si also the reason the voltage drops to 0,2 V under load and it heats to 70 °C lol
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Nope, that's still a SMPS. Likely a flyback. And it would honor its rating if a proper output diode had been used, i have a similar one and to my surprise it meets spec.

As for using a regular mains transformer to power a PC, someone i know did this. And it works just fine - it's just a little on the big and heavy side.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

That power supply is similar to this, but with a smaller transistor and only one output rectifier diode. This cell phone charger has better build quality. It uses a two-transistor oscillator to drive the transformer, a full bridge rectifier, double the capacitance on the input and output, and 1A rectifier diodes. I could draw at least 500mA from it.

Comment

Thermaltake Toughpower Qfan 650W

390uF 400V Hitachi HP3 primary unit.
          2200uF 10V Samxon GF (bulging) before output inductor on +5VSB rail with 1000uF 10V Samxon GF after it.
          2200uF 6.3V Samxon GF before and after +3.3V and +5V inductors.
          2200uF 16V Samxon GF x3 on +12V rail.
          100uF 16V Samxon RL on -12V rail.

Also has a few small value Jun Fu units.

GBJ1506 input rectifier.
          SPW60N60C3 x2 PFC stage with CSD06060G rectifier.
          STW50NK50Z x2 output stage.
          FQPF2N50 for +5VSB stage.
          SB1040CT rectifer for +5V rail.
          STPS4045CW x2 rectifier for +12V rail.
          STPS40L45CW rectifiers for +3.3V and +5V rails.

CM6800 PWM/PFC controller on primary side with P5229 monitor on secondary side.
          Attached Files
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
            SB1040CT rectifer for +5V rail.
            Should be "SB1040CT rectifier for +5VSB rail".

Comment

Yeah, GF are Samxon's KZG.

Whos the OEM? Does not look like CWT.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

^
                It is a CWT. The heat sink style and the fact that it uses Samxon caps gives it away, even when they don't use green tape.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                  Should be "SB1040CT rectifier for +5VSB rail".
                  My mistake, it should have been SB1040CT for the +5VSB rail.

Time for Part 3 of the power supply build quality pictorial section?
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Here's a blast from the past. PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 425ATX.

Label

Overhead

Primary

Secondary

That is about as overbuilt as I have seen an ATX PSU especially a 400 watt. All the capacitors are either Teapo or Hermey although they seem to be doing just fine in this PSU thanks to well designed circuits and exceptional cooling (the fan on this thing moves a ton of air), still I wonder why they used medicore caps in an expensive industrial grade PSU like this one. Since this is a perfectly working PSU currently in a functional server ,removing the case and blowing it out with compressed air was as much disassembly as I did, and given the rather cramped quarters inside I was unable to get any specifics on the components. But figured I'd post the pics.
                    Last edited by dmill89; 01-16-2012, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Time for Part 3 of the power supply build quality pictorial section?
                      You bet!!!

Has Astec gone downhill? They used to have good caps in their power supplies...
                      I never thought Astec would go to cheap craps.

Originally posted by cheese007 View Post
                      That hateful little Fuhjyuu mark of death. Naturally, this POS is full of them, including the primaries. Note the larger cap, which may have been someone's previous attempt at a repair.
                      No big surprise as they used TN series, which is General Purpose.

As for the big +12V cap, the brand is "GoldLink", and I've seen them used from the factory in Macron PSUs. I doubt they're any better than Fuhjyyu.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      As for using a regular mains transformer to power a PC, someone i know did this. And it works just fine - it's just a little on the big and heavy side.

Comment

And for a little comparison with the Turbo Cool 425 above. Here is a free with case Gutless Wonder OKIA "420W" PSU.

I think they accidently added a 0 to the end of the wattage rating 42W seems more realistic.

Overhead Shot. 330uf canicons on the primary. Tiny (all less than 1000uf) micons on the secondary. Undersized heat sinks, under sized transformers, super group regulation, missing components, no input filtering, 4 diodes for the bridge rectifier, etc. OEMed by Yuelin.

And a shot of the secondary or lack thereof.

As you can see this is the polar opposite of the PCP&C I showed earlier and an excellent example why you should never use or even trust the label on a PSU that came with a cheap case.
                        Last edited by dmill89; 01-16-2012, 01:19 AM.

Comment

PPL-I-150 8-28V input ATX power supply (for automotive PCs or ITX boards)

4x 220uF 35V Nichicon HD for boosted input with one 47uF 35V Jackcon unit.
                          2x 330uF 16V Sanyo OS-CON SVP on +12V (6A) output.
                          3x 620uF 6.3V Sanyo OS-CON on +5V (8A) (shared with +5VSB) and +3.3V (8A) outputs.
                          47uF 35V Jackcon on -12V output.
                          AO4468 x2 MOSFETs for synchronous +3.3V and +5V rails.
                          AOD484 x2 MOSFETs for synchronous +12V rail (step-down; also has AO4468 x2 for step-up)
                          AO4468 MOSFET for switched +5V rail (input connected to +5VSB).

This supply had the good capacitors (mostly), but there are some of the same model with not-so good capacitors.
                          Attached Files

Comment

PPL-I-150 8-28V input ATX power supply (for automotive PCs or ITX boards)

4x 220uF 35V Nichicon HD for boosted input with one 47uF 35V Jackcon unit.
                            2x 330uF 16V Sanyo OS-CON SVP on +12V (6A) output.
                            3x 620uF 6.3V Sanyo OS-CON on +5V (8A) (shared with +5VSB) and +3.3V (8A) outputs.
                            47uF 35V Jackcon on -12V output.
                            AO4468 x2 MOSFETs for synchronous +3.3V and +5V rails.
                            AOD484 x2 MOSFETs for synchronous +12V rail (step-down; also has AO4468 x2 for step-up)
                            AO4468 MOSFET for switched +5V rail (input connected to +5VSB).

This supply had the good capacitors (mostly), but there are some of the same model with not-so good capacitors.
                            Why OS-CON and Jackcon in the same unit???

Comment

Bestec PSU's:

Pic 1: ATX-300-12Z
                              Connectors: 24 pin main, 4 pin atx12v, 5x molex, 1x floppy, 2x sata
                              Pic 2: ATX-250-12Z
                              Connectors: 20 pin main, 4 pin atx12v, 4x molex, 2x floppy, no sata

What do you think?
                              Attached Files

Comment

From these pictures don't look so bad. There are even optocouplers instead of transformers.

Comment

Future Power WIN-400PS (OEM most likely WinTec)

Pic 1: Label.
                                  Pic 2: In the back there is a second fan.
                                  Pic 3: Inside view.
                                  Pic 4: Primaries side, Fuhjyyu caps.
                                  Pic 5: Secondaries side, more Fuhjyyu caps.
                                  When jumpered (green-black), it will turn on and fans run.
                                  However, when in PC, It will not boot, instead gives mobo green light but no power.
                                  Connectors: 20 pin main, 4 pin atx12v, one of those weird flat connectors (think AT power supply), 6x molex, 2x floppy, no sata.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Secondary seems to be quite bad, most likely also the rectifiers would be not something.

Comment

For people that don't follow this thread, this is sort of in continuation of this post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=374

I was doing some cleanup and found an AC/DC adapter I have fond memories of. This thing was used by my father around 1992-1994 to power an electronic calculator (the hand held kind) which still had the digits formed by pre-lcd elements, sort of like this one:

I remember my father was always upset after finding it in my hands - I used to "borrow" it to power my tetris game because I didn't have money to buy batteries... later I used to borrow a nintendo gameboy from a richer boy at school and used this to power the game (damn, that nintendo gameboy used to eat 4 batteries in 20-30 minutes)

Like any kid, managed to break the plug and cause some damage to the DC plug so you you can see in the pictures my soldering skills at about 13-14 years old, when I just started to learn about electronics and computers and started to get interested in this.

The thing itself is well built for a 20 year old device... the only issue it has is that 6v and 7.5v selections no longer work... which is because the wires from the transformer are loose, no longer soldered to the PCB.
                                      Yeah, that's regular scotch tape that's insulating the 230v wires from the PCB ... i didn't know shit back then...

While I'm at it, I figured I'd open a charger my brother left here and no longer uses it...

The PCB is just shoved and there's a couple of blades making contact with the pcb, a resistor is used for a fuse... tsc 13002 npn transistor, some surface mounted resistors , samxon and JH caps..

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                        For people that don't follow this thread, this is sort of in continuation of this post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=374

I was doing some cleanup and found an AC/DC adapter I have fond memories of. This thing was used by my father around 1992-1994 to power an electronic calculator (the hand held kind) which still had the digits formed by pre-lcd elements, sort of like this one:

I remember my father was always upset after finding it in my hands - I used to "borrow" it to power my tetris game because I didn't have money to buy batteries... later I used to borrow a nintendo gameboy from a richer boy at school and used this to power the game (damn, that nintendo gameboy used to eat 4 batteries in 20-30 minutes)

Like any kid, managed to break the plug and cause some damage to the DC plug so you you can see in the pictures my soldering skills at about 13-14 years old, when I just started to learn about electronics and computers and started to get interested in this.

The thing itself is well built for a 20 year old device... the only issue it has is that 6v and 7.5v selections no longer work... which is because the wires from the transformer are loose, no longer soldered to the PCB.
                                        Yeah, that's regular scotch tape that's insulating the 230v wires from the PCB ... i didn't know shit back then...

While I'm at it, I figured I'd open a charger my brother left here and no longer uses it...

The PCB is just shoved and there's a couple of blades making contact with the pcb, a resistor is used for a fuse... tsc 13002 npn transistor, some surface mounted resistors , samxon and JH caps..

wow, heh, I think taking things apart is very addicting actually, cause you never know what you will find.

LOL, a 'Shecon' brand cap.

My soldering was bad like that too, but I practiced on old junk circuitboards, and I got very good at it

-Ben
                                        Last edited by ben7; 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                          Is that really a Nokia OEM charger? If so, shame on them.
                                          This single-transistor self oscillating design is crap. It should not be used in any electronic device, except for perhaps a classroom experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                          X