Bad caps - Ever see like these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad caps - Ever see like these?

I pulled it apart since the Ethernet port wasn't working and the Video would sometimes start Wonky.

After pulling it apart I decided to repurpose the CPU. When I pulled off the heatsink on the NorthBridge chipset it became obvious someone had been messing with it trying to fix it. there were two copper shims under the heatsink with thermal compound between everything.

Since I got it with no drives or memory it didn't really seem like it was worth playing with it further, especially as there was a alternative use for the AMD 5400 X2 CPU too. And now I have a spare power supply for the other one if I get it working right.

The board didn't really look burnt under the heatsink.

Now if I could just figure out why the other gets so hot even with a fan on the chipset heatsink. Oh well tomorrows another day.

Comment

It sounds like that board has an Nvidia chipset and someone was trying to "fix" it.

Comment

It was definite Nvidia chip. HPs with AMD CPU seem to love Nvidia chipsets.

I tend to just pass on by and not waste time when I see someone has been monkeying before me like that.

Comment

Many HP Compaq M2NC51-AR boards will work fine with active cooling added to the big north south bridge heat sink.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

I have one Compaq and one HP both with identical motherboards, both dual core AMD with nVidia chipsets, and they seem fine.

Comment

Working...
            X