Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new CPU Cooler

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
    Personally I hate the whirring of the fans turning on, off, on, off. It is a major pet peeve of mine with laptops. I'd rather have a quiet constant whoosh than silence, then loud fan, then silence, then loud fan. The cycle drives me nuts.

Luckily the new Sony lappy I got a few months back tends to leave the fan on running slowly most of the time. My old HP laptop did the on-off cycle nonstop. Irritated the crap out of me.

For my desktop I am running the stock Intel cooler on PWM (I lucked out and got a Nidec fan). It is very quiet. I have a Delta PSU with a 120mm Yate-Loon and it too is near silent. Then for exhaust I have a 120mm Cooler Master fan running on a regular 3-pin header. Temperature controlled by my motherboard, but it always just spins quietly and never revs up.

Couple that with a case that breathes very well (Antec Solo) and my system's cooling is just the way I like it: the fans are constantly running on low, never rev up, and everything stays nice and cool.
    we agree then:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12786
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yup

Funny, what you want is exactly what I wanted when I set out to build my system more than a year ago. Great with media, quiet, expandable, and great quality. Just a nice, solid, reliable tower that's always there when I need it. You described my system perfectly, except I am running C2D instead of C2Q.

Comment

a c2d would not be bad, but if i am ditching the PDC, i want to go all out. now if i came into a c2d cheap/free (you would be surprised what i have gotten for freebies), i would take it, but if i really was investing in it, a c2q would be nice (as would 8gb ram and a better graphics card, but thats another dream).
        sigpic

Comment

I picked C2D because the C2D vs. C2Q benchmarks failed to impress me. So far my C2D (E7500) has yet to even show signs of struggling with anything I've yet to throw at it. Runs 64-bit stuff like a boss. If you are buying retail, C2D has a good power/price ratio IMO. Not to mention C2D and 775 are at that sweet spot where they have reached maturity but are still considered modern.

Comment

i saw that... you have a good point. doesn't matter as the pdc will have to do for now.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X