X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 32PFL5322D/37 power supply repair

Found another pic on the power board on the Internet at

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/165223/4...f5_165223b.jpg

R100 also seems to show the same color bands.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Found this when searching for "32PFL5322D/37 r100"

http://www.dtforum.net/index.php?act...topic=116979.0

It is spanish, but the poster says R100 is 1 hom R112 1k.

edit: I might believe the R112 was originally 1k, but maybe the seller didn't have one and just used the next closest value?
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-27-2012, 03:29 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This is rather embarrassing, but I went back and checked the resistance on the patch R112 resistor. It is 996 ohms . I checked it before I replaced the controller, then forgot to recheck it with the short removed.

Anyway, I'll get a new 1k ohm resistor to replace the one that is reading open circuit. I'll report back with any progress!

Comment

Originally posted by rpgruss View Post
          Anyway, I'll get a new 1k ohm resistor to replace the one that is reading open circuit. I'll report back with any progress!
          I think R100 is 1 ohm. If you don't use google translate from spanish to english, I think it is 1 ohm (not 1k). Look at the formatting. It looks like he put in tabs to denote the different values.

If you are running out to get a new one, get both.
          Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1 ohm would also be brown black gold gold. I don't know about the violet?
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I used google to translate, I know about 5 words of Spanish, but now that I look I see it was covered up by the translator. I'll get a 1 ohm.

Just out of curiosity, which would be worse for the circuit if it were wrong: 1 ohm or 1 k ohm? My instinct says 1 ohm would be worse.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, which would be worse for the circuit if it were wrong: 1 ohm or 1 k ohm? My instinct says 1 ohm would be worse.
                I guess you can try 1k first and if it doesn't work, then put in the 1 ohm.

Otherwise, before trying, let's see what others think. I have limited experience in reading these resistor codes and all the online calculators say it is invalid with violet being the 5th band.

A schematic or even a parts list (BOM) for R100 would make this easy.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Retiredcaps, I trust your judgement, you haven't steered me wrong yet. I'll get the 1 ohm and put it in. Even if it doesn't fix it, I've learned a ton about how power supplies work. Makes me wish I would have made the leap from board swapping to component fixing much sooner!

Comment

Judging by the position in the circuit, it's definitely 1 ohm. Not sure what the last violet band is doing there, but brown black gold gold is 1 ohm 5%.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Judging by the position in the circuit, it's definitely 1 ohm. Not sure what the last violet band is doing there, but brown black gold gold is 1 ohm 5%.
                      What wattage would you recommend here?
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'll get the 1 ohm and put it in.
                        You might want to put on some safety glasses when powering on. If the R112 popped, it might do so again if we haven't identified all the shorts.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          What wattage would you recommend here?
                          It looks like a standard 0.25W affair from the pic.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Minor success! I put in the 1 ohm resistor. After I installed it, there is now a path all the way from the big cap to the drain on the controller. I plugged it in, and now have 5v on the standby pins!

However, it still does not work. Now, when everything is plugged in, both the blue and red lights on the front panel come on, then the blue light blinks 2x and turns off. The red light blinks in a pattern, 8 times, then pause, then 8 times, over and over. The only suggestions I found online were to replace the power supply, or the main board. Thoughts?

Comment

Check the other output voltages when attempting to turn on.

The resistor looks closer to 0.5W but it's hard to guess without a scale. It's only a standby supply so 0.25W is most likely fine.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

On the resistor: I used a 1/2 watt resistor, so shouldn't be any worries there.

As for the voltages, if all the 5v lines stay on during power up, but all the 12v lines come up very briefly, less than 1 second, then begin to fall back to 0. This is when connected to the main board. How can I turn on the power supply without being plugged in? I'm not sure if the main board is dragging down the 12v, or if it is being turned off by the power supply.

Comment

How can I turn on the power supply without being plugged in? I'm not sure if the main board is dragging down the 12v, or if it is being turned off by the power supply.
                                  Something like this via tom66 (5V standby to ps_on)?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=45

Results in

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=49

edit: You might want to check all the output diodes as well for shorts.
                                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-27-2012, 09:08 PM.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Please post pictures of the logic board and the inverter board (just in case).
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Pictures are incoming. Also, I don't have an STB, at least by that name. I've been working off the diagram found at http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/...-off-will.html and attached to this message.

There are bigger problems right now though. When I plug in the power supply, even with nothing connected, I get the unmistakeable odor of burning electronics. I've felt around and nothing seems hot, and I still have a steady 5.17v coming off standby. Where should I be looking, or just run it until the failed part sends up a smoke signal?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I've been working off the diagram found at http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/...-off-will.html and attached to this message.
                                        I wonder if it is pin 11?

When I plug in the power supply, even with nothing connected, I get the unmistakeable odor of burning electronics.
                                        Did you replace R112 with a new one? If yes, is it a 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor?

Personally, I would not run it until magic smoke. I would take a 10x jewelers loupe and examine everything in the 5V standby rail to see what might be wrong.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I thought it was pin 11 as well, but it had 5v on it all the time.

I will start going over the 5v rail and report back. I did replace R112, it was replaced with a 1/2 watt resistor, same size.

Comment

Working...
                                          X